We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

travel insurance for work placement

Options
My daughter is going to France for one year's placement. She needs to take out insurance for that year to cover eventualities such as accident, medical, loss of money etc. Does anyone know of any organisation that provides suitable insurance?

Comments

• *MF*
    *MF* Posts: 3,113 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi ... not sure from your post whether the "placement" is as a student or work related. (*)

Either way I hope these links give you some help - the Columbus one is the only one (from years ago - used for a student on a year in France) that I have personal knowledge of - but neither link can I recommend as such - I just know of their existence - but hope they offer a starter for you - maybe other members have more recent experience and can advise:

http://www.zurichinsurance.co.uk/insurance/travel/home/home.htm

http://www.columbusdirect.com/

(*)Edit - trying not to be too dim - I know the heading says "work" placement but wanted to be sure - the past trip I mentioned involved university in France as a student and work during the holiday periods.
    If many little people, in many little places, do many little things,
    they can change the face of the world.

- African proverb -
  • Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    Options
    Make sure she gets her EHIC before she goes.
  • poundnotes_2
    Options
    Thanks

The year (academic year) involves attending a college in france as a student for approximately 7 months and then a work placement for 3.
  • poundnotes_2
    Options
    The Zurich insurance is best for her.:beer:
  • *MF*
    Options
    poundnotes wrote: »
    Thanks

The year (academic year) involves attending a college in france as a student for approximately 7 months and then a work placement for 3.

Lol - you just made my day - now don't feel dim at all, and glad it helped.

- African proverb -
  • idlejune
    Options
    Hi, hope I'm doing this right (first time) can anyone tell me if Ryanair insurance bought while booking flight to France is ok? They don't ask questions about anything, just insure you. We have our ehics.
  • *MF*
    Options
    Hi ... you may have been better with a new Thread - if an MSE guide spots this they may move it.

I have no direct experience of ryanair and travel insurance, but from general experience - the less questions asked - the more terms,conditions and exclusions will appear in the policy itself - that places a burden on you to read the terms and conditions very carefully - and hey, not easy and particularly so with travel insurance imho.

Mind numbing - you'll need the break in France, lol. Enjoy!

- African proverb -
  • RatBag_2
    RatBag_2 Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    idlejune, if Ryanair's travel insurance is anything like their low cost flight ticket terms and conditions, you'll be driving the ambulance yourself :eek: (because the drivers are not included! :rotfl:)
    I fancy my chances on deal or no deal! ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport