🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Car insurance no claims

Options
Hi all - quick question -

I've got two cars, one which I use my main no claims of 10yrs on. I bought a 2nd car last year so have had to start from 0ncd on that. I go my renewal today and it says 2yrs no claims not 1yr as I would asume as Ive only had that car for a year.

Would they have given me a bonus 1ys ncd?

I'm just wondering what I should do when shopping for new policy - say Ive 1 or 2yrs ncd?

I hope Ive made sence! many thanks

Comments

• xfeelingthis
    Options
    I know at Direct Line we do that.
    I would phone and double check though, but I know there have been situations where I've had 2 years on a policy that's only been live for a year.
  • shelly
    shelly Posts: 6,394 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I was told by a previous insurer if your renewal states 2 years you can say you have 2 years because you can prove it with the renewal letter (should your new insurer wish to see it)

We were in the same situation as you really. Hubby was using full NCB on car 1. We bought car 2 and as an introductory offer the insurer at the time matched the full NCB for the first year only. At renewal time the renewal notice said that car 2 now had full NCB aswell as car 1. We called them up to query it and they said not to worry, if they have given us full NCB thats what we have. We even went as far as to ask them if they wanted to re-send a new renewal notice out with 1 year only on it. They said no.
    When I was shopping around I mentioned the situation to a couple of insurers and they said the same. They were only interested in what the renewal notice said as that is what we would send as proof of NCB should they want to see it.
    We didn't argue with them :D

For your own peace of mind though you could just call them up and ask.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport