The future of BT - will 0% be a thing of the past?

Options
I have just been looking for a new O% BT card as I thought the 0% on my Virgin CC was coming to an end (but it isn't until Jan 12th).

Anyway, I've noticed nearly every CC company is introducing the 2% BT fee.

There are still one or two recommended on this site e.g. Lloyds TSB and Barclaycard.

But do I wait til Dec to apply for a new card to transfer my balance or should I take advantage of one of the above while it is still being offered?

I started to apply for the Barclaycard as recommended on this site due to their 10 month 0% BT offer.

However this only applies to the 1st £5000.

I have about £7000 I need to transfer.

Any advice will be gratefully recieved.

Comments

• PokerPortal
    Options
    Personally I would not wait too long. If you have done the research and there are 2 lenders willing to give you a BT without a fee, I would apply for one about 8 weeks before your current offer runs out. That should give you enough time to smoothly transfer to this new card, and still have another one ready a few months down the line. I don't think the future of 0% BT, no fee is in danger.
    Money in longest works hardest
  • daveboy
    daveboy Posts: 1,400 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm actually of the opinion that this site has played a huge part in card companies finding loopholes to squeeze money from us elsewhere.

I think the 2% charge will become standard, and that we may even see some more cards introduce an annual charge. Probably not something like MBNAs £25, something lower.

It may be a year or two in the future but the good old days, I think, are gradually coming to an end.
  • stev1664
    Options
    Hopefully not, o% ba is one of the good things about credit cards as opposed to loans
    Money, control it. not the other way round
  • sicker
    sicker Posts: 1,370 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If you have been doing 0% balance transfers for the last few years I am sure you will agree with me that 0% without fees will very shortly no longer be available. (great pity)

John
  • Phil
    Phil Posts: 98 Forumite
    Options
    I'd say they are going soon too!

Cashback cards are the new 0% BT
    Matched Betting Profits since May 2006: £467.33
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing