Google Ads

Options
I was just wondering people made how many people used Google ads and whether they thought they were profitable. How many sites have you got and what type of sites are they? I've just started a blog (not in an effort to make money, just to share my experiences) and I've placed google ads on it. I've only had three clicks in a month so it's unlikely to be a big money making venture for me, but was just wondering what other people's experiences were :D
Mortgage-free wannabe #66 £105/4000

Comments

• geordie_joe
    geordie_joe Posts: 9,112 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    How much you make depends on how many visitors your site gets. As your blog grows you should get more visitors and so you will earn more from google.

My sites don't get than many visitors, but I get a payment from google every couple of months.

Don't forget that you can put your google ads on other sites too. So you can create more sites and possibly make more money.
  • Becles
    Becles Posts: 13,166 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    We had Google ads on our forum. However a disgruntled person who we banned clicked on the ads hundereds of times. GoogleAds suspended up and claimed it was us doing the clicking even though they knew the clicks came from another IP address, and they refused to pay out what we had earned so far :mad:

Have a look at the pay per impression advertisers rather than the pay per click ones as you make more money from these ones. The fraudulent clicker actually did us a favour as we're making more from our current advertiser than we did from Google ads. They prefer high traffic sites though - our biggest forum gets around 1,500,000 page views per month. I'm not sure if they will use blogs but I can find out if you are interested.
    Here I go again on my own....
  • geordie_joe
    geordie_joe Posts: 9,112 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Becles wrote: »
    Have a look at the pay per impression advertisers rather than the pay per click ones as you make more money from these ones.

How much do they pay?
  • chrisann_2
    chrisann_2 Posts: 22 Forumite
    Options
    What are pay per impression advertisers? Are these offered by Google too?
  • becky170
    becky170 Posts: 857 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Becles wrote: »
    Have a look at the pay per impression advertisers rather than the pay per click ones as you make more money from these ones. The fraudulent clicker actually did us a favour as we're making more from our current advertiser than we did from Google ads. They prefer high traffic sites though - our biggest forum gets around 1,500,000 page views per month. I'm not sure if they will use blogs but I can find out if you are interested.

Thanks for the advice Becles, I don't think my blog gets enough vistors to make pay per impression profitable! Worth keeping in mind for future sites though :)
  • Becles
    Options
    How much do they pay?

It depends on the advertisers and how busy your site it, but we run them across 5 forums and make a decent income.
  • Becles
    Options
    chrisann wrote: »
    What are pay per impression advertisers? Are these offered by Google too?

I'm not sure if Google does them or not.

Pay per impression means you get paid everytime the image is displayed on your site.

Suppose I had a banner ad inserted here.

On pay per impression, everytime someone looks at this thread the banner is shown, you would get paid.

However on pay per click, you would only get paid if someone actually clicked on the banner. This thread could be a viewed a million times, but if nobody clicked on the banner, you wouldn't make a penny.
  • becky170
    becky170 Posts: 857 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Sorry I didn't know that you can't discuss figures....have edited the question! I just wanted to know whether people actually made money off them or not.
  • jo_b_2
    jo_b_2 Posts: 7,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Unfortunately, a couple of posts have been removed from this thread:

Martin’s asked me to post this in these circumstances:
    Sorry, email addresses and websites should not be used as usernames (please see this rule) Forum users (other than MSE staff and Board Guides) are not allowed to have links in their signatures, without the prior permission of the forum team. Users who have permission for specific links are listed HERE

The one in this thread has been reported. If you have any questions about this policy please email [EMAIL="abuse@moneysavingexpert.com"]abuse@moneysavingexpert.com[/EMAIL]
  • philand7
    philand7 Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    Yes people earn money from Google Ads (Adsense)

The actual amount you get from a click is not shared but is known to be roughly 50% between you and Google, payed by the advertiser.

The amount per click is determined by the industry, as it is a bidding model. So...

Plasma TV's = HIGH click costs
    a DVD = LOW click costs

The easiest way to get started is to go to blogger.com and start a blog about your interests, and use the built in adsense to earn some pocket money from it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure