PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Does anybody 'darn' anymore?

Comments

• thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Over the years I have darned various things. More recently I have darned my daughter's school jumper (after her schoolbag put a hole in it a few weeks into the first term) and I have also darned my son's football socks because they are so expensive to replace. Today I have spotted a new hole so I may get darning again. I don't recall ever being shown or taught how to darn so my darning probably isn't very good!!

Also what is a darning mushroom and where do you get one?? :confused:

Pic here http://www.wwmm.org/immagini/1182.jpg Try a haberdashery dept of a dept store. I love that word ....haberdashery haberdashery
  • sairy2005
    sairy2005 Posts: 124 Forumite
    You can often buy darning mushrooms at antique fairs. Sometimes the top unscrews so they fit in the sewing box better. I have several including one which has a battery in the handle which lit up the top. Unfortunately this doesnt work any more. The mushroom is bakelite and I still use it some times
  • thriftlady_2
    sairy2005 wrote: »
    You can often buy darning mushrooms at antique fairs. Sometimes the top unscrews so they fit in the sewing box better. I have several including one which has a battery in the handle which lit up the top. Unfortunately this doesnt work any more. The mushroom is bakelite and I still use it some times
    :rotfl: Are you sure that's not something else Sairy :rotfl: Sorry, I've had a few glasses of black market wine :o
  • sairy2005
    sairy2005 Posts: 124 Forumite
    Ooh cheeky. Why would you need a light in it though:T
  • thriftlady_2
    sairy2005 wrote: »
    Ooh cheeky. Why would you need a light in it though:T
    For the blackout of course :D
  • I darn. I have a darning mushroom that was my mothers. I don't darn socks. I do the same as a previous poster buy all socks the same so I only have to throw away the holed one. What I do darn quite regularly are the elbows and wrists of the kids exspensive school jumpers. my dad taught me to darn too. He learnt in the army. He also taught me how to knit. But the most oldstyle thing I have ever come across was my late MIL's crotchted stair carpet. Which served them well for 40 years.
    Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination:beer:

Oscar Wilde
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    ... But the most oldstyle thing I have ever come across was my late MIL's crotchted stair carpet. Which served them well for 40 years.

That's mindboggling! - was it crocheted with wool or what fibres? I'm just trying to picture it; not that I'm much good at crochet, but I love the idea.

I'l probably have to stick to my rag rugs. :)
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • daisyroots_2
    daisyroots_2 Posts: 262 Forumite
    Heavens to betsy - a crotched stair carpet ! Don't suppose you have a photo ? I love darning and I'm good at it, it's perfect for listening to the radio or conversation. I no longer darn socks, but I have an old 100% wool fairisle jumper, and when the elbows went I darned them with different colours of wool, then when the underarms went I did the same. Soon I will have to repair the cuffs and eventually that jumper will be like the old knife which has had five new handles and three new blades !
    All Art is the transfiguration of the commonplace
    Member #6 SKI-ers Club
  • Steel_2
    Steel_2 Posts: 1,649 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I darn several times a month. Hubbie gets through socks like nothing I've ever seen and I refuse to throw out a sock and buy new for the sake of a small hole.

If I end up with a huge pile of stuff to darn I sit up in bed with my darning mushroom and do one item a night before I go to sleep until they're done.
    "carpe that diem"
  • luxor4t
    luxor4t Posts: 11,125 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    If you do not have a darning mushroom you can use a traditional shaped lightbulb ... its amazing what I learned being a Girl Guide! You can also use a smooth ball, depending on the size sock.

I 'have' to darn as OM spends all day rubbing holes in his newest socks then walks around in front of MiL to make absolutely certain she can see the holes. No -I am not a domestic doormat, I make a point of sitting with a HUGE pile of his mending looking saintly-but-hard-done-by whenever she comes round. Saves having to make polite conversation and racks up the 'good DiL' points, as well as saving money.

As I had one of those childhoods where everything was homemade (eg food, coats, furniture - my dad even built a tandem bike and sidecar) mending is natural. I was given a sewing machine as my 18th birthday present and made most of my own clothes, some for OM as well as for the children.

My son did a sort of 'show and tell' on how to make school shorts out school trousers when they were learning about WW2 and rationing! Some mothers gave me funny looks but I almost had a small business in making or mending children's clothes. Doll's clothes were a great (and cheap) birthday present and I ended up selling them through craft fairs etc until I went back to full time work and got into bad habits (= buying dressing gowns!).

I still keep a button tin and a box of fabric remnants!
    I can cook and sew, make flowers grow.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport