PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Does anybody 'darn' anymore?

Options

Comments

• scrimperjan
    scrimperjan Posts: 223 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Poppy 9 - I've turned a couple of shirt collars lately, it was quite labour intensive unpicking them but I was pleased with them when I'd finished, and it's one of those jobs you can do whilst watching TV. Saved a couple of my OH's favourite shirts from the bin. (Now he's left me - there's gratitude for you!)
  • newmrslockwood
    Options
    I was wondering if anyone still darned socks these days. I guess that is about as oldstyle you could get!
    They are so cheap to buy and i don't but wondered if it was worth doing?
    Nothing to declare ;)
  • Rossy2692
    Rossy2692 Posts: 592 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello there!

Yes I still darn socks, did some last night, my 14yr old daughter gives me a funny look but I don't see the point in throwing something away when all it needs is a few stitches. The ones my daughter gets are 3 pairs for £7 from TopShop which I think are outragous! She pays for them herself as I certainly wuldn't pay that much for socks so I always check these while she is at school and darn them while she is out!!

Chala x
    :j Started my weightloss journey, its neverending!! :j

Weightloss challenge 2/14

:p "Life is like a box of chocolates....you never know what you are gonna get":p
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi newmrslockwood,

This subject came up recently so I've merged your thread with it to keep all the replies together.

Also have a look at these older threads:

Darning tips

repair or replace
  • Rikki
    Rikki Posts: 21,625 Forumite
    Options
    I can darn, but don't very often.
    The only ones I do darn are my wool walking socks. These are too expensive to replace all the time.
    I occassionally mend my sons school socks too.
    £2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is £4 :).............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

......................................................................TCNC member No: 00008
    NPFM 21
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    This book is on my wishlist http://www.amazon.co.uk/Make-Do-Mend-Official-Reproductns/dp/1843172658/ref=sr_1_1/202-4560088-2422211?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1182420764&sr=8-1, I gather it is full of tips for making clothes last during the war, because of course, they were rationed as well as food. I'm hoping it will have darning tips in. My son's socks get very holey and it would make me feel very virtuous if I could darn them.
  • FBThree
    FBThree Posts: 346 Forumite
    Options
    I must still be suffering the affects of overindulgance in wine the other night - the first time I read this topic I thought "darn - yes, I still use that as a swear word, why has it gone out of fashion due to the F word?" Coming back a couple of hours later I see my mistake!

I have a heapload of items still needing repair. One of these days I'll get back to it, but that means uncovering the sewing threads which are hidden under clutter, so that means decluttering first.....
  • sairy2005
    sairy2005 Posts: 124 Forumite
    Options
    I love darning but only if the item is worth mending. Most socks aren't these days. I have a duvet cover that I have patched and embroidered butterflies on over the holes. It has become a work of art but will be too thin to bother with soon. I have had it for about 20 years so doesn't owe me much.

Why buy new when you still like the old and you can mend it
  • Ches
    Ches Posts: 1,120 Forumite
    Options
    I can and do darn but not often. The last time was a small hole I had wor in a linen tunic. I also patch the GS's trousers. Did a pair of GS3's jeans the other day was really proud they looked as if they were meant to be like that. I always keep and old pair of school trousers and an old pair of jeans to use as patches. Thsi time of year its not worth buying new if they get a hole in school trousers as its to near the end of the school year and you can guarantee a growth spurt in the summer holidays.
    Mortgage and Debt free but need to increase savings pot. :think:
  • THIRZAH
    THIRZAH Posts: 1,465 Forumite
    Options
    I enjoy darning-does that make me a sad case?I even have one of those darning mushrooms to go into socks.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure