Please help - insurance conundrum

Options
Hello knowledgeable people.
My boyfriend and I are in an insurance nightmare. At the weekend his friend's car got stolen, and in it was my boyfriend's guitar. We're not sure if his insurance covers the guitar - does insurance normally cover property, or third-party property for that matter?? I'm fairly certain our home ins. doesn't cover property outside of the home. It was an expensive bit of equipment which of course we should have got separate insurance on, but my bf was going to sell it this month as we badly need the money back.. HELP!

Comments

• tinkerbell84
    tinkerbell84 Posts: 5,323 Forumite
    Options
    Unless the guitar was in a locked boot, i doubt it would be covered. Receipts would have to be provided to the insurer in order to claim.

There are usually property limits though - around 100 quid for personal possessions i think. That would include any of your boyfriend's friend's possessions too,
  • FlameCloud
    FlameCloud Posts: 1,953 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Most car policies wouldnt cover for other peoples possessions other than the policy holders, as they dont have any insuranble interest in the items though. However, there are some car policies which do cover this but I wouldnt imagine anywhere near the value of the guitar.

Home insurance normally covers for other peoples items lost/damaged in the home, so there wouldnt be any cover there. Your best hope would be that you have personnel possessions cover on your own policy.
  • tinkerbell84
    tinkerbell84 Posts: 5,323 Forumite
    Options
    But personal possessions out of the home cover normally costs additional premium. If the OP went for the cheapest insurance available, it probably didn't include personal possessions cover.
  • raskazz
    raskazz Posts: 2,877 Forumite
    Options
    If the friend's car was covered comprehensively it will probably include some form of personal belongings cover. This kind of cover normally covers anyone's property in the car, but invariably has a low limit, say £200. Hope you've still got some proof of purchase as the insurer will request it.
  • bazzarob_2
    bazzarob_2 Posts: 32 Forumite
    Options
    thanks - am going to dash home and check contents insurance to see if it covers items outside the home
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,631 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It normall called "personal possessions" on home insurance - so check for that.
    It's an optional extra rather than standard.
  • bazzarob_2
    bazzarob_2 Posts: 32 Forumite
    Options
    yikes. Well we probably don't have it then. Don't remember having any optional extras in my contents ins.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure