Is There Such A Thing As Temporary Car Insurance???

Options
Please forgive me if this is in the wrong place. Ive searched on this site for an answer or similar questions but cannot find a thing.

I need to insure yself on my boyfriends car. I only need temporary insurance as I hes selling the car in a couple or months and I will not be transferring it to another as i'll have a company car.

He doesnt need the car anymore as he also has another insured company car.

Is there a way i can be insured temporarily or this not possible.
I desperatley need the car at the moment and will not drive without insurance at all.

Any advice would be great.

Comments

• stooby
    stooby Posts: 113 Forumite
    Options
    Several insurers offer this from 1 to 28 days:

Tempcover Ltd. (underwritten by RSA)
    NU
    Readycover (underwriten by Provident Insurance)
    ...to name but three.

Watch out for high excesses though. Doesn't usually matter that the policyholder isn't the owner/keeper so should be perfect for you.

As George Galloway would say, "GOOGLE IT"!
    Out of Darkness Cometh Light, Out of Sandwell Cometh S***e...
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,639 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    So does your boyfriend have a policy on the car or is he leaving it uninsured? (this might leave him exposed to theft).

If he has a policy then it's best to put you on it (and make sure they know you will be the MAIN driver).

You could look at a monthly policy e.g.
    http://www.ecarinsurance.co.uk/payasyougo.php

Or you might find it cheaper to buy an annual policy and then cancel (note there will be fees for cancelling and you should check up front what you will get back).

Basically it's not really very economical to insure short term, so you have to pay through the nose unfortauntely.
    If your boyfriend has a policy then it would certainly be worth seeing if you can be added or it can be transferred. Either way make sure they know you will be the main driver and not just an additional one.
  • cinnamonbone
    Options
    Hi Wrightstar

Last year we wanted to trade in our car for a better one, but we couldn't find a good trade in price and the car we wanted. Then a really good deal came along and we could not miss out on buying the new car, but we still had the old one. I rang my insurance and they switched my cover to the new car and gave me temporary cover for my old car until I sold it. The temporary cover was a bit more expensive than normal, but it meant we had both cars insured. I know this doesn't quite answer your question, but it does mean that insurers can be flexable. I would suggest you try contacting your boyfriends insurance as they would be the most likely to offer to extend cover for you temprarily.
    Think I have dribbled on for long enough now? Hope this helps. :j
  • wrightstar
    wrightstar Posts: 111 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the help.
    my boyfriend still has it insured in his name and also has another one in his name with the same insurance company.
    Hes keeping one on the policy and is selling the other one.
    Hes with direct line and has already added me as a named driver for one month.
    Apparantly they are refusing to add me any longer as he has some special discount with them (he opted out of a load of stuff to bring the price down), so that month has gone and they wont add me again.
    Hes seling the car as soon as i get my new company car which should be august /sept.
    He will keep the car insured until its sold and direct line will apparantly let him cancel with no fees (i think hes wrong there).
    Theres no point in me taking out a new policy if i need to pay a load of charges when i cancel it.
    It may end uo cheaper to get taxis and buses ; )
  • Zeitgeist
    Zeitgeist Posts: 309 Forumite
    Options
    Norwich Union do 7 days insurance for free. Driveaway it's called, and you can arrange it on 0800 015 1392. They give you a quote for the whole year as well but you can decline it and just have the 7 days, and you get your certificate of insurance emailed to you so you can tax your car straightaway. The RAC does something similar too.
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect." - Mark Twain
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    wrightstar wrote: »
    Hes with direct line and has already added me as a named driver for one month.
    Apparantly they are refusing to add me any longer as he has some special discount with them (he opted out of a load of stuff to bring the price down), so that month has gone and they wont add me again.

You sure he's telling the truth (and it's not an excuse to stop you driving on his insurance and he's not keen in case you ruin his NCB?).

Direct Line do allow you to add another driver for longer than a month, (and of course are happy to do so as they charge for the service) - and let you do it online!
  • Idiophreak
    Idiophreak Posts: 12,024 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Quentin wrote: »
    You sure he's telling the truth (and it's not an excuse to stop you driving on his insurance and he's not keen in case you ruin his NCB?).

Direct Line do allow you to add another driver for longer than a month, (and of course are happy to do so as they charge for the service) - and let you do it online!

Have to agree with this to some extent, when I wanted to add the GF, I went onto the website, clicked "add" and that was pretty much job done...

If nothing else, couldn't he ask about "adding on" the bits they knocked off to make it cheaper, then adding you? It's only for a couple of months, afterall...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure