Direct Debit

Options
Here's the dilemma. I have a direct debit set up with my bank (HBOS) with a let 's call it, company A. It was done with me signing a form agreeing for the direct debit for monthly payments.

Can i cancel my direct debit, can it be done directly with the bank or do i need to contact company A regarding this issue. Any help would be much appreciated.

Comments

• YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You do both, as instructed/requested/recommended on the direct debit guarantee...
    You can cancel a Direct Debit at any time by contacting your bank or building society. We also recommend you notify the organisation concerned.

http://www.bacs.co.uk/BACS/Consumers/Direct+Debit/Your+rights/
    However, if you still have a 'contract' with company A you can't terminate that by simply cancelling the DD.
  • superstar_2
    superstar_2 Posts: 2,104 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks YB, it is not a contract but more of a monthly payment they take off from my account at the end of the month. I plan to delay the payments for a couple of months and then make a lump sum payment which Company A is completely happy about tho they (as everyone) would prefer monthly payment.
  • YorkshireBoy
    Options
    Due to the number of posts on here reporting DD's being set up again (electronically under AUDDIS), I'd be notifying company A in writing...and also asking for confirmation of agreement in writing.
  • superstar_2
    superstar_2 Posts: 2,104 Forumite
    Options
    Can you eloborate this:

'Due to the number of posts on here reporting DD's being set up again (electronically under AUDDIS),'
  • YorkshireBoy
    Options
    Use the forum search tool top right. Search for "auddis" without the quotes.

First thread returned is this one. Next two will explain.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure