A question on cheques

Options
My OH has written out a cheque for someone that was put into the bank today, she doesnt have as much as she first thought in there now ( bad I know), if I was to put money into the bank in cash on Wednesday would it be okay or would it bounce? (its the day I get paid)

Also out of interest at what stage on the 2nd day does the payment get taken out? (to clear on the third day), if say I had a chaps payment going into the account on the 2nd day would it clear it or would it bounce as its done at 9am on the 2nd day?
July 2015 Wins- Shaun The Sheep Goody Bag, 4x Books

Year to date: £786

Total to date ( Since 2008 ) = £37,345 :eek:

Comments

• Night-owl_6
    Night-owl_6 Posts: 858 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

If you pay in the money first thing Wednesday you should be fine but be warned, if the cheque fails to clear your wife is in for a big fee, £35!

The best way to stop this happening is for your wife to contact her bank and ask for a temp overdraft and explain your reasons.

It should be fine but be careful next time as the £35 fee is rarely waived by banks as it isnt the same as a failed direct debit, the cheque was written very shortly before payments to taken meaning you have made a legal contract in terms to promise the funds are in the account.
    DELETE ACCOUNT.

NO LONGER WANTED

DELETE ACCOUNT

Due to certain users I no longer wish to use this forum
  • alleybabes
    alleybabes Posts: 92 Forumite
    Options
    My OH has written out a cheque for someone that was put into the bank today, she doesnt have as much as she first thought in there now ( bad I know), if I was to put money into the bank in cash on Wednesday would it be okay or would it bounce? (its the day I get paid)

Also out of interest at what stage on the 2nd day does the payment get taken out? (to clear on the third day), if say I had a chaps payment going into the account on the 2nd day would it clear it or would it bounce as its done at 9am on the 2nd day?[/quote

who do you bank with?
  • tranmereforever
    Options
    I bank with Barclays, my OH is with Nationwide
    July 2015 Wins- Shaun The Sheep Goody Bag, 4x Books

Year to date: £786

Total to date ( Since 2008 ) = £37,345 :eek:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing