Ripped off by Marks and Spencers car insurance

Options
Hey

Im wondering if any of you can help me with a little problem I have.

I used to drive a 1.4 focus cl, and had this insured with marks and spencers insurance. Heres my problem. I have had the insurance for 10 months, and recently (as in last week) changed the car. M&S couldnt cancel or ammend my policy because there was an existing window claim not sorted out from autoglass. I was promised Somebody would contact me back (twice!) to tell me when this was sorted, nobody phoned.

I had to take delivery of the new car, and had to set up a new policy with a different insurance company. I have today phoned marks and spencers to complain about nobody phoning, and thought it would be interesting to see if they could add my new car onto the policy to let me get my 4th year of no claims discount (only two months off a 4th year)

I was then told that their underwriter fortis would not insure me on this new car because I have not had my driving licence for over 9 years, only two.

I have then had to cancel the policy and was charged a £35 admin fee, as well as 137.88 short term rate cancelation loosing any refund that I may have obtained. Not only this, but I have now lost the extra years no claims bonus that I would have had, if fortis would have covered my new car.

I'm extremly annoyed to say the least, and was getting no where on the phone.

I hope somebody can help

Looking forward to reading your replies

Andy Allen

Comments

• raskazz
    raskazz Posts: 2,877 Forumite
    Options
    I'm struggling to see where your complaint is here apart from the apparent lack of a callback.

Every policy has rules about what circumstances it will cover - i.e. driver ages, vehicles groups, use and so on. Your new car fell outside what the the current policy would cover. if you had contacted them prior to commiting to the purchase of the new car you would have discovered this.
  • Quintain_2
    Quintain_2 Posts: 442 Forumite
    Options
    andyallen3 wrote: »
    Hey

I have today phoned marks and spencers to complain about nobody phoning, and thought it would be interesting to see if they could add my new car onto the policy to let me get my 4th year of no claims discount (only two months off a 4th year)

I was then told that their underwriter fortis would not insure me on this new car because I have not had my driving licence for over 9 years, only two.

Have I read you correctly?

You have had a licence for two years but are expecting four year's no claim discount?
    Watch out for the sandbag.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport