Getting insurance quotes of around £3k! HELP!!

Options
Hi,

I'm new to these forums so I just like to say Hi!

I am an 18 year old new driver and I'm looking at insuring a 1998 1.4 VW Polo. I live in the SE London and I'm basically getting stupid quotes at around £3000.

I know this can't be right, there must be a way of getting it cheaper! Any help whatso-ever would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Oscar_The_Grouch
    Oscar_The_Grouch Posts: 2,245 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi there

Your best bet would be to use the "Best Buy Articles" shown at the top of the page and go to the Car Insurance one. That tells you how to use the internet to get quotes from most of the insurers. Here is a quick link to it:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/insurance/compare-cheap-car-insurance

Best of luck.
    In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry and was widely regarded as a bad move.
    The late, great, Douglas Adams.
  • McFilly
    McFilly Posts: 108 Forumite
    Options
    Hi :)

My son is 17 and has a car that is a 1.0 litre micra aged 1994.

We found that Direct Line came out the best for comprehensive cover, closely followed by the Co-op.

Having said that, we are going with third party fire & theft cover because the excesses that both were adding, on a car that is only worth £700, made comprehensive cover not feesible.

Also, the Co-op charged more for third party fire & theft than they did for comprehensive.

Our final verdict therefore is that we are going with Direct Line, with third party fire & theft cover.

Hope this helps a bit.

McFilly
  • tinkerbell84
    tinkerbell84 Posts: 5,323 Forumite
    Options
    McFilly wrote: »
    Hi :)

My son is 17 and has a car that is a 1.0 litre micra aged 1994.

We found that Direct Line came out the best for comprehensive cover, closely followed by the Co-op.

Having said that, we are going with third party fire & theft cover because the excesses that both were adding, on a car that is only worth £700, made comprehensive cover not feesible.

Also, the Co-op charged more for third party fire & theft than they did for comprehensive.

Our final verdict therefore is that we are going with Direct Line, with third party fire & theft cover.

Hope this helps a bit.

McFilly

So the excesses were above the value of the car?

Because if the car is written off (and there's no-one to claim from) you'll have to pay to replace it from your own pocket on TPF&T
  • shelly
    shelly Posts: 6,394 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Mr.Kev wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm new to these forums so I just like to say Hi!

I am an 18 year old new driver and I'm looking at insuring a 1998 1.4 VW Polo. I live in the SE London and I'm basically getting stupid quotes at around £3000.

I know this can't be right, there must be a way of getting it cheaper! Any help whatso-ever would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

It can sometimes shave a few ££ off the quote if you add your Mum or Dad to your policy as a named driver. They don't have to ever drive the car, just be on the policy.
  • McFilly
    McFilly Posts: 108 Forumite
    Options
    So the excesses were above the value of the car?

Because if the car is written off (and there's no-one to claim from) you'll have to pay to replace it from your own pocket on TPF&T

Yes, the car is worth about £650 and the excesses work out at £550 so if we claimed for damage over £550 I'm pretty sure the insurance company would write it off. And with us having to pay the first £550 I think we'd look to buying a new car. So having comprehensive cover really does not seem worth it. The only benefit we would get would be windscreen cover.
  • maclean2
    maclean2 Posts: 709 Forumite
    Options
    Try Adrian Flux on 08000 83 88 33.They specialize in new drivers and do not quote on line but use human beings instead.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure