Buy to let help

Options
Hi, I'm having trouble selling my flat & have missived on a new property. I am considering changing the mortgage on the current flat to a buy to let to avoid selling in this market -can anyone help me find a deal that would work for me?
New purchase price £280k
Current flat value in region of £160k with £50 equity in it. I dont think we could achieve more than £600 per month rental & i cant find a lender that would be prepared to lend on that figure.

thanks in advance.
:hello:

Comments

• happybroker
    happybroker Posts: 1,301 Forumite
    Options
    consider let to buy on the new mortgage, lenders will consider 90% ltv on that one and some will only take the shortfall between your mortgage payment and the rental income into account for affordability. You will obviously have to seek the consent of your existing provider for the let.

Good advice from an experienced whole of market broker will probably be useful to you.

Good luck
    Happily an ex mortgage broker!
  • LollySaver
    Options
    Hey, thanks for the reply happybroker. Not sure what you mean, is it the new mortgage that is a let to buy mortgage? havent heard about that before, i've already applied for a mortgage for the new one with RBS, perhaps this is something they do? then we ask current lender to ok us to let the property? sorry, new to all this!
  • herbiesjp
    herbiesjp Posts: 8,499 Forumite
    Options
    A let to buy is a residential mortgage on the new property

A BTL is on the let out property.

If you are going to stay with your current lender and let out the first property, you need to tell them and get consent to let

If you are looking to sell, make sure you are not teid in to any long term deals with penalties.

This would appear to be the cheapest and easiest way of doing it - mind you, there are no guarantees that your current lender will agree that for you.

Make sure you find out from RBS if they are OK with the secenario before you go spending money on fees and valuations, if they will not agree your scenario for you.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • happybroker
    happybroker Posts: 1,301 Forumite
    Options
    herbiesjp wrote: »
    A let to buy is a residential mortgage on the new property

A BTL is on the let out property.

If you are going to stay with your current lender and let out the first property, you need to tell them and get consent to let

If you are looking to sell, make sure you are not teid in to any long term deals with penalties.

This would appear to be the cheapest and easiest way of doing it - mind you, there are no guarantees that your current lender will agree that for you.

Make sure you find out from RBS if they are OK with the secenario before you go spending money on fees and valuations, if they will not agree your scenario for you.

....what he said.......Good luck
    Happily an ex mortgage broker!
  • poppy10_2
    poppy10_2 Posts: 6,575 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Most lenders require 125% rental cover though - your rental income needs to be 125% of the mortgage payments. And on your figures, that's simply not attainable.
    poppy10
  • herbiesjp
    Options
    If there is not 125% cover (this will depend on the lender) the lenders will treat the deficit as a commitment, and as long as the income is sufficient they will be happy to proceed - on a Let to Buy basis that is

On a BTL basis there are different levels of cover, not only 125%
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • LollySaver
    LollySaver Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Hey all, thanks for the replies. Herbiesjp - which lenders offer different levels of cover? all i've seen is the 125% and we cant achieve that. Thanks for your help. no idea what we're going to do at the moment!
  • herbiesjp
    Options
    Even with the lowest rental coverage I doubt you will achieve the rental cover need based on those figures

Have you got the deposit already set aside for the new purchase?
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,512 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    all i've seen is the 125% and we cant achieve that.

If you cannot achieve that then you do have to question the qualify of the buy to let investment. Its one of the reasons why these limits now exist.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • LollySaver
    LollySaver Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, we're just looking to avoid selling our flat as we're struggling in this market, trying to find an alternative. We dont have the deposit for the new property as we planned to use the equity from the sale. Looks like we may have to go into open bridging if we complete on the purchase - if that is even available. Starting to get really worried now!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport