Job-offer SPAM: what's going on?

Options
Recently I have received a LOT of email SPAM offering work with attractive-sounding international companies. Generally there seems to be some reference to receiving and transferring money.

So what is this about? I understand that successful 'phishers' recruit mugs to receive fraudulent bank transfers and then send on the money via Western Union, but do they need as many people as the volume of email suggests?

Comments

• peter_the_piper
    Options
    I get rakes of these, most of them seem to have a Russian origin so the trash bin is the best place for them.Not even worth the 419 scam baiting.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • ManAtHome
    ManAtHome Posts: 8,512 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    As they only (potentially) pay out anything when you do a bit of laundering and it costs nowt to send the emails I shouldn't think they're too concerned about keeping the numbers down..
  • greenwich
    greenwich Posts: 8,044 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    This may not be money laundering, but the old 'advance fee fraud'. I've had a few of these. One was a very well-paid job in Nigeria, with free first-class flights etc. Catch was that I had to pay various registration fees in advance (which of course would be fully refunded when I started the job, yeah right).
    Eh?? I give up!! Towel is getting thrown in here! :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport