BBC news - High Street Store credit notes being sold on eBay

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Ebay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales
8 replies 1.6K views
StaffsSWStaffsSW Forumite
5.8K Posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
✭✭✭✭
BBC iPlayer clip here - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7482556.stm

An expose on credit notes being sold on eBay, generally inferring that shoplifters take stolen goods back to the store, get a credit note, and then sell it on eBay.

I do not believe this is the fault of eBay, but more a fault of the law that states that goods can be returned without an original receipt.

Despite the coverage, there are still a few on the 'Bay, but how is anyone meant to know if these are genuine sellers, or net-savy shoplifters?

http://search.ebay.co.uk/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=%22credit+note%22
<--- Nothing to see here - move along --->

Replies

• At M&S we can cancel credit notes after they are issued! - I was reading something about a bloke coming into the store and soon after his credit note was cancelled because he was upto something suspecious.
  • RFWRFW Forumite
    9.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    At M&S we can cancel credit notes after they are issued! - I read something although not sure what it was about.

Seems strange they can't call the police while they have the perpetrators in the store.
  • adeyadey Forumite
    6 Posts
    Let Me Get This Right
  • rsykes2000rsykes2000 Forumite
    2.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    adey wrote: »
    Let Me Get This Right

Sadly, you didn't.
    Hope this helps.
    :)
  • brettctabrettcta Forumite
    4.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    adey wrote: »
    Let Me Get This Right
    fail

sorry.
    helpful tips
    it's spelt d-e-f-i-n-i-t-e-l-y
    there - 'in or at that place'
    their - 'owned by them'
    they're - 'they are'
    it's bought not brought (i just bought my chicken a suit from that new shop for £6.34)
  • me4bargainsme4bargains Forumite
    1.8K Posts
    At M&S we can cancel credit notes after they are issued! - I was reading something about a bloke coming into the store and soon after his credit note was cancelled soon after.
    May I ask on what grounds can you cancel a credit note?
    I ask because my purse was stolen about a month ago and it had all my reciepts for several items I wanted to return.
    I didn't have any trouble ireturn my top in M&S but haven't tried to spend the credit note either.
    If I find out it's been cancelled I'll have the law on them!
    Third time lucky on WW I hope :j
    January: 13st 11lb :eek:, February: 13st 2.5lb, March: 12st 13lb, April: 12st 10.5lb, May: 12st 2lb, June: 12st 1lb, July: 12st 1lb, August: 11st 11lb, September: 11st 10.5lb, October: 11st 12.5lb, Currently 11st 8lb
  • malc1603malc1603 Forumite
    175 Posts
    stevew8975 wrote: »
    how is anyone meant to know if these are genuine sellers, or net-savy shoplifters

If you look at their feedback and they have mostly been selling credit notes then I guess thats a bit suspicious.

On a slightly different note does anyone know if the buyer can get into trouble for buying these? Also does Ebay Buyer Protection give any cover if they turn out to be dodgy?
  • heskpeskheskpesk Forumite
    2K Posts
    There seems to be a lot of credit notes for B&Q.Is this because its quite easy to buy the wrong item or they have quite a high theft rate (according to someone I know who works for them)? Who knows???
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals