Letter Advice - Daewoo DVD Recorder / Scan Computers

Options
Hey all. would really appreciate if a few people can read over my letter below. This relates to the deal originally posted here: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=55032&highlight=scan

i'd love to be able to shorten the letter to make it easier to read for you, but i dont think i can as it describes every step i've gone through in the last 5 months to get a working DVD recorder. So - advice please on anything i can add to my letter, or reword - or whatever in order to make my case more successful. (should i add a deadline on it? please reply by xxxxx date?)

oh also, i was thinking of sending this to Daewoo but CC Scan on it. here we go:

Re Daewoo DQR-1000D DVD Recorder

I write to you regarding the item above that I purchased from scan computers (https://www.scan.co.uk) on 18th May 2005 – Invoice number xxxxxx. The item worked for approximately a week, before the RIGHT BUTTON ON THE REMOTE CONTROL failed to work. I contacted Scan regarding this, they agreed to issue a replacement remote control. So I sent them mine and in a few weeks I got a replacement. Scan also stated they’d refund my postage as long as I sent a receipt to them – this has not happened despite my numerous requests.

On receiving the 2nd remote control, I had exactly the same problem, so once again I contacted Scan and they arranged to pick up the whole DVD set (including instruction manual) to try and repair it – or replace if they could not fix it.

So, forward to July and I have received my replacement DVD recorder (minus instruction manual) from Scan (invoice number was xxxxxxx). A week after getting the DVD player I attempt to hook it up to my TV. Once again I have exactly the same problem, the right button does not work! At this point I get in touch with Scan via their online support email page. A week had passed and I had received no reply, I then try contacting them the same way but this time make a note of the call reference number. A further week had passed and still no reply, so I send yet another one (a copy of this is attached). By this time it is September. I then decided to call them once again – despite giving them the call reference number of my emails they had no trace of it! I told Scan of my grievances and they said it’s not their responsibility since it is more than 28 days since the original order. I asked – even though this is a replacement DVD player in which is less than 28 days ago and the unit has never ever fully worked? They said to contact Daewoo, so this is what I did and the customer services representative there agreed Scan should cover this as it is within 28 days and the unit has never worked. But you decided to sort it yourselves which I was happy with given the frustrations with Scan.

Here I am now – I have had an authorised Daewoo repair company collect my DVD recorder then send it back to me this Saturday 8th October. They inform me they have replaced the processor in the remote control. Once again there are no instruction manuals with it although with my experience with this product I know how to wire it up correctly to my TV. Unfortunately this product again does not work properly, the fault I had before is now fixed, but I have another fault now. When you press the SYSTEM button, the configuration menu is supposed to come up on screen – this does not happen, my screen remains blue although it seems the player recognises the command by showing ‘MENU’ on the visible display bar on the DVD recorder itself. But, put in a DVD and the movie loads and works correctly, if you now press system whilst the movie is playing then a configuration menu pops up! If you then eject the DVD or press Stop, the menu does not work.

Today I have spoken to the Repair Company and shared my frustrations with them – they have been good to me although I am slightly annoyed to seemingly get a fault unit back from them. I am frustrated because I cannot check what I am doing is correct – because I never received a manual in my replacement unit from Scan Computers.

I am very disappointed by your product, I believed Daewoo were a reputable manufacturer but I have had no end of problems from your product. I also feel very let down by Scan Computers at the way they fobbed me off and shirked all responsibilities.

I currently wish to have nothing more to do with any of your products. Please arrange for somebody to collect the DVD recorder from my home and issue me with a full refund plus compensation for all the undue stress this has caused me. All I want is a DVD player that can record – you and Scan Computers have failed to provide me with this.

here's that attached document:

This is the THIRD time attempting to contact you, my last was 1 week ago & I did it through this website & was even given a reference number (which I honestly failed to note down since I expected it to work). Here is another copy for you, please action!

Hello,

i've received the replacement order two weeks ago, only a week ago did i
have chance to fit the new DVD recorder. (FYI, the invoice number is
xxxxxxx). I tried to contact you regarding this but your support query form was returning errors.

Unfortunately there are two problems,

1) there is no instruction manual with the recorder
2) i get the error as i had for the last one - the 'right' button on the
remote control does not work at all.

Please arrange a return of this item with a full credit & delete my account. I am also waiting for a refund on the postage costs for me to send the
remote control to you - i included the receipt with the package - this is
the FIFTH time i'm having to ask.

Thank you

all advice welcome, many thanks

Comments

• Wig
    Wig Posts: 14,139 Forumite
    Options
    You have no contract with Daewoo. Your contract is with Scan, the 2 companies are not connected. You cannot ask Daewoo for a refund, (well you can ask but you won't get one).

I tried looking for a user guide for you online but can't find one.

You need to write to scan informing them that they failed to supply you with a user manual. I see you have already done this but was it on paper or email?...Send it again on paper this time recorded delivery.

Tell them that it is your belief that the item still does not function correctly, but you cannot check this until they give you a user manual.
    example.......
    In light of my previous correspondence with your company (enclosed) on this issue, if you do not - within 14 days - either send me a manual or a complete refund then I will proceed to the small claims court against your company.

If upon recieving a manual from you I conclude that the player is indeed faulty, I shall require a full refund from yourselves, if I do not recieve such I will proceed to the small claims court.

I ask you to refund me as my first choice, because this will be the fastest solution.

*ask your trading standards for help too...that's what they are there for.
  • Discogod
    Discogod Posts: 328 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    OK thanks for your help here Wig - i'll write up another letter & post it up here again!

i really dont wanna be going down the court route! well, i can bluff it! thanks :)
  • IvanOpinion
    IvanOpinion Posts: 22,213 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I have generally found that demanding compensation does not help. The phrase I have been using lately, and it has never failed ... yet ... is 'gesture of goodwill', because that way you are not asking them to accept responsibility.

You could try modifying your last para to something like (just a thought)...
    I am very disappointed to find that the quality of your product and service has fallen short of what I would expect from your company. I feel I have therefore no other option but to request a full refund of all monies related to the purchase of this product including additional postage and packaging costs that I have incurred (outlined below).

original product cost £????.??
    postage and packaging for return of remote £????.?? (previously promised)
    estimated postage and packaging for final return of faulty goods £???.??

Total £???.??

I am asking that you consider this based on the grounds that the product, despite X replacements, still refuses to work as advertised and that the service offered to me did not address these issues, in the worst possible case please consider this refund as a gesture of goodwill.

However, as Wig says your contrcat is with Scan not Daewoo.

Ivan
    Past caring about first world problems.
  • Wig
    Options
    Going to court is easy and cheap. In the unlikely event that you lose you will owe them nothing and you will only have lost the court fee - about 25 quid.

You can do it easiest online at moneyclaim.gov and your CAB or trading standards should be able to help you do it.

Companies rely on people being afraid to use the easy court system, you want to let them get away with it or make them pay for their arrogance?
  • Discogod
    Options
    Ivan, many thanks for your input, if you dont mind i have used most of your example in my letter.

as an update to my situation, i have only just written the letter again, but in doing so i retested the product. The old fault on the remote controller has returned & the new fault still remains.

Wig, thanks for your input, i think i'll go down the small claims threat route if nothing comes of this mail. here is the mail:

I write to you regarding the item above that I purchased from yourselves on 18th May 2005 – Invoice number xxxxx. The item worked for approximately a week, before the RIGHT BUTTON ON THE REMOTE CONTROL failed to work. I contacted you regarding this, you agreed to issue a replacement remote control. So I sent mine to you and in a few weeks I got a replacement. You also stated you would refund my postage as long as I sent a receipt – this has not happened despite my numerous requests.

On receiving the 2nd remote control, I had exactly the same problem, so once again I contacted you and you arranged to pick up the whole DVD set (including instruction manual) to try and repair it – or replace if you could not fix it.

So, forward to July and I received my replacement DVD recorder (minus instruction manual, invoice number was xxxxxx). A week after getting the DVD player I attempted to hook it up to my TV. Once again I have exactly the same problem, the right button did not work! At this point I got in touch with you via your online support email page. A week had passed and I had received no reply, I then try contacting you the same way but this time make a note of the call reference number. A further week had passed and still no reply, so I send yet another one (a copy of this is attached). By this time it is September. I then decided to call you once again – despite giving you the call reference number of my emails you had no trace of it! I told you of my grievances and you said it’s not their responsibility since it is more than 28 days since the original order. I asked – even though this is a replacement DVD player in which is less than 28 days ago and the unit has never ever fully worked? You said to contact Daewoo, so this is what I did and the customer services representative there agreed Scan should cover this as it is within 28 days and the unit has never worked. But Daewoo decided to sort it themselves which I was happy with given the frustrations I had with Scan Computers.

Here I am now – I have had an authorised Daewoo Repair Company collect my DVD recorder then send it back to me this Saturday 8th October. They inform me they have replaced the processor in the remote control. Once again there are no instruction manuals with it although with my experience with this product I know how to wire it up correctly to my TV. Unfortunately this product again does not work properly, the fault I had before did not exist on first testing of the product but four days later the error has returned. There is also another fault now, when you press the SYSTEM button, the configuration menu is supposed to come up on screen – this does not happen, my screen remains blue although it seems the player recognises the command by showing ‘MENU’ on the visible display bar on the DVD recorder itself. But, put in a DVD and the movie loads and works correctly, if you now press system whilst the movie is playing then a configuration menu pops up! If you then eject the DVD or press Stop, the menu does not work.

A few days ago I spoke to the Repair Company and shared my frustrations with them – they have been good to me although I am slightly annoyed to seemingly get a faulty unit back from them. I am frustrated because I cannot check what I am doing is correct – because I never received a manual in my replacement unit from yourselves.

I am very disappointed to find that the quality of your product and service has fallen short of what I would expect from your company and Daewoo. I feel I have therefore no other option but to request a full refund of all monies related to the purchase of this product including additional postage and packaging costs that I have incurred (outlined below).

Original order costs:
    Product - £69.00
    Carriage - £10.00
    VAT - £13.83
    Total £92.83

Postage for return of remote control on 25th June 2005 £1.30 (previously promised)
    Plus any postage and packaging for final return of faulty goods.

Grand Total £94.13

I am asking that you consider this based on the grounds that the product, despite numerous attempts, still refuses to work as advertised and that the service offered to me did not address these issues, in the worst possible case please consider this refund as a gesture of goodwill. I would like to remind you to read your own terms and conditions, specifically the part explaining the term ‘goods’ and Part II F.

FYI the t&c's state: Goods - the computer hardware and software products sold by us to you including packaging, manuals and any other ancillary components or documents.

f) Guarantees and after sales service

* We guarantee that the goods will correspond with the stated description and specification.

* We guarantee that the goods will be of satisfactory quality when delivered by our carrier.

* We operate a voluntary code which appears below for the return of goods which have failed to meet your expectations.

* Subject to you complying with the voluntary code for the return of goods we guarantee that the goods will remain of satisfactory quality in normal use for 3 months following delivery and will refund the cost of the goods or credit the cost of the goods or replace the goods in accordance with timescale for return of the goods set out in the voluntary code.

* The terms of any manufacturer's guarantee and after sales service will be included within the documents accompanying the goods.

* We are willing to provide advice to you in accordance with the conditions below.

i will be printing this letter out tomorrow & sending it recorded delivery.

once again, advice welcome.
  • Wig
    Options
    Hi there again,

I have edited your letter, cut out a lot of what I wouldn't put in. I hope you like it or see what you can do differently. By the way

1. Are you sure the replacement was a replacement the remote unit and the dvd player. How do you know they were not the same ones?

2. The replacement came in July (presumably late July) How can you say that when you called in September, it was less than 28 days from the delivery of the replacement? Unless you mean that the fault was there and you complained almost straight away within a week in July, which is of course true.

I wouldn't worry about it anyway they might not notice. And there is no 28 day period in law, you have a faulty item which was faulty from new, and the replacement, if it was a replacement was faulty from new. This gives you the right under the sales of goods act to ask for a full refund.

I notice you didn't mention court, (I would have) but I respected what you wanted. You can follow this up in 2 - 3 weeks giving them 14 days notice of a court claim. Trust me as soon as they recieve your court papers they will settle with you, I'm sure of it.

Here's my version*************************

I purchased the above from you on 18th May 2005 – Invoice number xxxxx. It worked for approximately 1 week, before the remote control stopped working properly. I returned the broken remote control to you and you sent a replacement. You also said you would refund my postage as long as I sent a receipt – this has not happened despite my numerous requests.

On receiving the 2nd remote control, the problem remained, you arranged to pick up the whole DVD set (including instruction manual) to try and repair it – or replace if you could not fix it.

I received my replacement DVD recorder in July (minus instruction manual), invoice number was xxxxxx. The same problem remained. I contacted you via your online support email page. A week passed with no reply, I contacted you again - this time making a note of the reference number. Again a week passed with no reply, I sent another one (copy attached). It was now September. I called you again – I gave the Ref No. of my emails but you had no trace of them. I told you again of the problem and you said it’s not your responsibility since it was more than 28 days since the original order. I pointed out this unit has never worked since it was new. You said to contact Daewoo, I did and they said you should cover this as it is within 28 days of the replacement and the unit has never worked anyway. Daewoo decided to help me which I was happy with given your refusal.

An authorised Daewoo repair company collected my DVD recorder and returned it to me on Saturday 8th October. They inform me they have replaced the processor in the remote control. I have no instruction manual (because Scan failed to supply one). Unfortunately this product again does not work properly, the fault I have always had did not exist on first testing, four days later, however, the problem has returned. There is also another apparent fault now, with SYSTEM button, the configuration menu is supposed to show on screen – this does not happen, my screen remains blue although it seems the player recognises the command by showing ‘MENU’ on the visible display bar on the DVD recorder itself. But, put in a DVD and the movie loads and works correctly, if you now press system whilst the movie is playing then a configuration menu pops up! If you then eject the DVD or press Stop, the menu does not work. I am frustrated because I cannot check what I am doing is correct – because I never received a manual in my replacement unit from you.

I am very disappointed to find that the quality of your product and service has fallen short of what I would expect from your company and Daewoo. I feel I have therefore no other option but to request a full refund of all monies related to the purchase of this product including additional postage and packaging costs that I have incurred (outlined below).

Original order costs
    Plus the cost of sending you the remote (£1.30)
    Total £94.13

I am asking that you consider this based on the grounds that the product, despite numerous attempts, still refuses to work, and has never worked correctly from new. I have tried to be patient and allow you to repair it and Daewoo repair it (at your suggestion). The fact remains this item has had this recurring fault since it was supplied as new back in May 2005. If you like, please consider this refund as a gesture of goodwill.
  • Discogod
    Options
    Wig, have taken your advice on this one & pretty much used all your letter.

to answer your q's:

1. Are you sure the replacement was a replacement the remote unit and the dvd player. How do you know they were not the same ones?

I am only going on what i have been told by the company - if they were the same, then the company has lied to me.

2. The replacement came in July (presumably late July) How can you say that when you called in September, it was less than 28 days from the delivery of the replacement? Unless you mean that the fault was there and you complained almost straight away within a week in July, which is of course true.

I got my dates wrong. i have a copy of an email (which will be sent to them) stating a replacement order has been raised - this was on Aug 11th. My final email to them using hte support form was sent on 3rd of Sept so i believe it was fully within the 28 days. The 28 days btw is their policy.

many thanks for all your help :)

** i just noticed you edited your message at 11:30am - i copied the letter from you around 9am so i haven't got any changes you may have made.
  • Wig
    Options
    No changes to the letter, just edited my qu's to you. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure