Tonight prog - "Priced off the road?"

Scarlett25
Scarlett25 Posts: 149 Forumite
It's on ITV1 tonight (30th June) at 8pm......

"Quentin Wilson investigates ways to beat the current crises at the petrol pumps, asking whether using chip fat can slash 25% off a company's fuel bills and exploring the future of gas-guzzling vehicles."

Comments

• puddy
    puddy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    im amazed at the mpg that people seem to record on these programmes, ive got a 1.2 automatic micra and i dont think i get more than about 28mpg. the car is only worth 4k ish, so my only option would be to fork out 2k for a converstion to lpg. my worry is that because i work in some rural areas (all of kent) i might get stuck one day without any fuel and no where to buy any lpg?
  • harveybobbles
    harveybobbles Posts: 8,973 Forumite
    Unless you're going to keep a car for a few years, I don't see the point in forking out to convert to LPG. Would probably work out cheaper to change car.
    Yes, LPG is half the price of unleaded, but it wil take some time to claw it back.

I only use my car to get to and from work, during the day I have the use of a works car - which comes with fuel.
  • puddy
    lucky, my route to work is a 56 mile round trip, and then on top of that i usually travel on average of 30 miles a day whilst at work, so its really racking up now
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,519 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    So fit a tuning box and see your mpg soar - what about the insurance premium Quentin? Or possible warranty issues if the car is new Quentin? Typical TV for shallow airheads.
  • jenner wrote: »
    im amazed at the mpg that people seem to record on these programmes, ive got a 1.2 automatic micra and i dont think i get more than about 28mpg. the car is only worth 4k ish, so my only option would be to fork out 2k for a converstion to lpg. my worry is that because i work in some rural areas (all of kent) i might get stuck one day without any fuel and no where to buy any lpg?

A 1.2 returning 28mpg must be faulty - surely you mean 38mpg?

GG
    There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those that don't.
  • puddy
    i cant remember what it was exactly, i just remember it being very low, i calculated it by leaving it till the light goes on warning of no petrol, then filling up say 20 litres, then waiting until the warning light comes back on again and then working out how many miles i did. im sure it was 28 though.
  • harveybobbles
    harveybobbles Posts: 8,973 Forumite
    Thats a baaaaaaaaaaaaaaad way of working it out!

Fill up, drive, fill up, note litres and miles driven.

Hey presto...
  • vaio
    vaio Posts: 12,287 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ………Yes, LPG is half the price of unleaded, but it wil take some time to claw it back……..

Yep, half the cost of unleaded and likely to remain so until it starts to impact on the tax take to the government, once it does the cost will rise just as diesel did a few years ago
  • BillScarab
    BillScarab Posts: 6,027 Forumite
    It's a 1.2 automatic though. The economy on automatiucs is nearly always worse than manuals (well traditional torque converter automatics anyway). Depending on what sort of driving you're doing 28mpg doesn't sound unlikely to me. My wife only gets 31mpg out of a 1.3 Manual Suzuki Swift driven almost entirely on short journeys around town.
    It's my problem, it's my problem
    If I feel the need to hide
    And it's my problem if I have no friends
    And feel I want to die

• AdrianHi
    AdrianHi Posts: 2,228 Forumite
    Scarlett25 wrote: »
    It's on ITV1 tonight (30th June) at 8pm......

"Quentin Wilson investigates ways to beat the current crises at the petrol pumps, asking whether using chip fat can slash 25% off a company's fuel bills and exploring the future of gas-guzzling vehicles."

There ain't anywhere near enough chip fat (often palm oil) to go around for this to be viable.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure