blackpool pleasure beach now without the pleasure

Options
we decided to take the kids to blackpool yesterday to see the lights and have some fun on the pleasure beach, so after having a few fun hours at blackpool zoo we headed on to the front. The parking was excelent as it was not as busy as normal. we then stopped off for something to eat and made our way, chips in hand, to the pleasure beach. Thats where it went down hill.

As we got to the ticket office where you have to walk through, and the queue to get in the P.B was massive, but as a true brit we patiantly joined it. 25 minutes later we get near the front to find that security are going through everyones bags and confiscating "dangourous" items, although i think they were a bit keen as i saw the officer untie a balloon from a childs buggy (who was now crying) put it in an evidence bag and told the parent of the distrest youngster that the item would be disposed of accordingly. Now what did they think that that little girl was going to do with the balloon. As well as the balloon i also saw a football and a blusher brush be taken.

People may say that they are just being vigalent because of all the recent terror attacks, but we run that risk everywhere. Are we going to start haveing car check before entering a carpark, or x-raying bags in asda.

The whole day was no-where near as fun as it was when i used to go. You get hassled on the streets by people who want you to buy gadgets that only work for a day, or stall vendors "come and win a prize for the kids".

Blackpool used to be my favorite place to goto and now its just another vastly comertialised resort. :mad:
Work like you don't need money,
Love like you've never been hurt,
And dance like no one's watching
Save the cheerleader, save the world!

Comments

• hjb123
    hjb123 Posts: 32,002 Forumite
    Options
    If you think Blackpool has gone downhill fast, you ought to visit Morecambe - thats alot worse!!!
    Weight Loss - 102lb
  • Anya
    Anya Posts: 590 Forumite
    Options
    I agree with iwanttosave. I live very near to Blackpool and cannot understand why people think it is a worthwhile day out. I do take my little ones through the lights every year, but apart from that and the occasional shopping trip, I never go into town as I hate it. It is dirty and tacky and don't understand the fascination with the place.
    Accepted offer on our house - Sept 2006
    Offer accepted on house we wanted - October 2006
    Survey completed - November 2006
    Searches completed - January 2007
    Vendor pulls out January 2007 - Aaaagghhh :mad:
    Offer accepted on next house - January 2007
    Survey completed - February 2007
    Searches sent - Febraury 2007
    Exchanged and Completed March 16th 2007!
    Phew!
    Decorating started 5/4/07
    Bathroom ripped out 18/3/07!

Baby due 23/4/07!
  • Frugal_Fox
    Frugal_Fox Posts: 1,002 Forumite
    Options
    We visited Blackpool for the last time, last October. We went to see the lights, and to visit my uncle (who has since passed away). As a child I loved the PB, the lights - everything about Blackpool.

Last year I truely felt differently - and yes as an adult you always see things differently - however...

it is no longer a nice place to go
    its truely tacky - but no longer funny tacky!
    the hotels seem to be getting worse

Sorry Blackpool - I won't be back.
    "A simple life freely chosen is a source of strength. Do not be pursuaded into buying what you do not need or cannot afford." Quaker Faith & Practice 1.02.41
  • pug_in_a_bed
    pug_in_a_bed Posts: 1,975 Forumite
    Options
    as a former employee of the pleasure beach group, having seen the inside workings of this company, I'd stay well away!
  • elizabethp
    elizabethp Posts: 76,398 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I live about 15 miles away from Blackpool and I too can not understand why people rave on about it. I find it very dirty and past its sell by date!
    Liz xx
  • ffacoffipawb
    ffacoffipawb Posts: 3,593 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    hjb123 wrote:
    If you think Blackpool has gone downhill fast, you ought to visit Morecambe - thats alot worse!!!

And they've certainly never been to Rhyl!

What a dump.
  • financial_filly
    Options
    Can't stand Blackpool myself. Think I must have been twice in my life and if I do take my son to see the lgihts it will be in the car "ooh look at the pretty lights ooh..right lets go home now!" :rotfl:

Saying that we are about to arrange a big family holiday to Seashore in Great Yarmouth (its a family thing..dont ask!) for next year..please tell me that G.Y. is better than those mentioned above *fingers crossed*
    Brendan's new dance partner...please :D
  • daveboy
    daveboy Posts: 1,400 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Blackpool is cheese when it comes to a holiday.

I live in what is very nearly the furthest place from any coast (not that far way from Warwick).

I'd rather spend a week in Leicester than Blackpool - and that is saying something!
  • iwanttosave_2
    iwanttosave_2 Posts: 34,292 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    i have just been trying to complain to the pleasure beach by e-mail and it keeps saying that my "comments" are too long. Its not my fault that i have so much bad stuff to tell them about. I feel so sorry for the residents of Blackpool and near-by towns, as we were driving through i kept saying to OH how beutiful the homes were and how clean the streets are, such a stark contrast to the front.

I agree with frugal fox, the hotels have gone down hill with the exception of a few. We went for a girls night out to blackpool last year and booked on the phone, we sent of out £25 each (yes i suppose alarm bells should have rung then) but when we got there dirty was an understatement, there was cobwebs on the CARPETS so god knows when they last hoovered. The lady of the house had had a few too many shandys, his clothes were full of stains, so when we said we wanted our money back and go elsewhere they threw abuse at us and literally chucked us out, and then threatened to call the police on US. We didn't get our money back but was able to stay at a fantastic hotel just 4 doors down
    Work like you don't need money,
    Love like you've never been hurt,
    And dance like no one's watching
    Save the cheerleader, save the world!
  • Plasticman
    Plasticman Posts: 2,504 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I went to Blackpool once and I wouldn't go again. Also went to Skegness a while ago as we were passing through. Next time I'll keep passing :rolleyes:
    If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around [the banks] will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered." -Thomas Jefferson 1802
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure