Haggling for sofas

I saw some sofas I liked the look of in a local shop on Saturday - total £1,100 including free delivery. However, when I got back I managed to find the same sofas online for £965 + £30 delivery.

I'd rather buy from the local shop as they have a good reputation (a couple of years ago one of their members of staff was having headaches, his colleagues had a whip round to pay for a private scan and he was diagnosed with a brain tumour which was operated on - the company reimbursed his colleagues for the money they had contributed) however, times are hard and £100 is a fair bit to save.

So - is it worth haggling with them and asking them to match the online price? I have never haggled before and to be honest I find the thought of it a little embarrassing. :o

Comments

• Tallymanjohn
    Tallymanjohn Posts: 1,060 Forumite
    The online price is cheaper because your local shop has the extra overheads of premises, extra staff (rather than one person working at a screen) etc. so it's difficult to compare like for like & expect them to cut their margins further. If you want to shop local then don't expect a price match, if you want to save money then shop online. The only times you can normally expect a price match is if it's the same retailer, on-line and in-shop - like Currys etc.
  • geri1965_2
    geri1965_2 Posts: 8,736 Forumite
    Are you saying there is no point?
  • Trust_2
    Trust_2 Posts: 369 Forumite
    Geri,
    You have nothing to lose, state to them what you have seen!
    It is a competitive market place, and they should meet what you have seen or get very close!

You have nothing to lose,

Give them a ring, let us know how you get on!
  • Trust_2
    You are spending a lot of money, can you see them turning away a sale!

You have nothing to lose, if they say no this is the cheapest price, you have lost nothing,
  • geri1965_2
    geri1965_2 Posts: 8,736 Forumite
    Well - I phoned them and he was quite cagey and wouldn't commit to a price, but told me their sale started on Saturday, so they are quite likely to be cheaper then anyway! :cool:
  • Trust_2
    Good luck for Saturday, hopefully the price will drop even more!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure