Paying abroad (not nationwide)

Options
Ok, I didn't check this out until tis too late, we are off to Egypt in 10 days and I want to know what is the best (i.e cheapest) way to pay for things out there. We ideally don't want to take too much cash, but that may be cheaper than using our Tesco credit card who charge 2.75%. We also have an hsbc bank account card and I have an M&S credit card which is at the limit as I am stoozing the money, but I could pay some off and then use that, but I'm worried I will mess up the stoozing then.

I did ring Nationwide but there is no chance of me getting a card from them before we go as they are taking up to a month to produce the physical cards at the moment.

Any advice welcome? Shall I just grit my teeth, use the Tesco card and learn my lesson for my next holiday?

Thanks,
Ruth

Comments

• pin
    pin Posts: 4,265 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Go to Travelex online, see how much they are offering for Egypt Pounds. Then go to XE.com and see what the interbank rate works out at. With the interbank rate factor in the 2.75 CC charge and then see which works out cheaper.
    "An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind" - Mahatma Gandhi
  • spottydog
    spottydog Posts: 205 Forumite
    Options
    Where in Egypt are you going? I have been to Sharm & Hurghada a number of times and found that most places except for hotels don't take cards and those that do may charge a premium. Normally I take some pounds (or dollars or Euro's) and change it at banks there. I also use cashpoints to get money out while there as I find the rate I get is much better than the one offered if you change the money here (even after bank charges)
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Ruthann wrote:
    ...I have an M&S credit card which is at the limit as I am stoozing the money, but I could pay some off and then use that, but I'm worried I will mess up the stoozing then...
    You are right being worried if your 0% offer is for balance transfers only (I think it is):
    Never, ever, ever, ever spend on a card after balance transferring to it!
    (Martinl, 'Best Balance Transfers (cut the cost of existing credit card debts) ' article)

BTW HSBC charge usual 2.75% for currency convertion plus 1.5% (min. £1.75) for withdrawing cash abroad. This is still better than travelex that sell EGP today 7% below (above?) interbank rate.

And don't forget to have some british ££s ready to pay for so called 'visa' on arrival to Egypt.
  • Trickywoo64
    Options
    Hi
    We went to our local travel agent and they were doing an american travellers cheque card with 50 free euros if you bought a travellers cheque card you can buy them in amounts of 300, 700 and 1000 euros. But you only get the free 50 euros if you buy 700+.
    http://www.americanexpress.com/uk/tcc/terms.shtml?uk_nu=leftnav
    Hope this is of some help
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi
    We went to our local travel agent and they were doing an american travellers cheque card with 50 free euros if you bought a travellers cheque card you can buy them in amounts of 300, 700 and 1000 euros. But you only get the free 50 euros if you buy 700+.
    http://www.americanexpress.com/uk/tcc/terms.shtml?uk_nu=leftnav
    Hope this is of some help
    I don't know about Egypt, some people had problems with this card even in Europe:

Electron visa, or traveller's cheques?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport