We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Alliance & Leicester "administration" (!?!) charges

Options

Comments

• Ian_W
    Ian_W Posts: 3,778 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Congers,
    The first response from Coventry was No, and reading lisyloo's post, same with A&L. Ask for a deadlock letter as you intend to complain to FOS, use lisyloo's letter in the earlier post as a template for the reasons for your complaint.

I'd be very surprised if they didn't at least meet you half way and all it will cost you to find out is the price of a stamp. BoL.
  • Congers
    Options
    Webbie, I don't suppose you still have the info for the breakdown of the costs. It may help add some weight to the next letter.

Thanks Ian, I'll definitely give it another shot at asking for a deadlock letter.
  • Congers
    Congers Posts: 19 Forumite
    Options
    Just a quick update. This morning I recieved a reply to my second letter to A&L complaining about the increase in the admin charges. Lo and behold they are offering a goodwill gesture by reducing this charge down to £225, a reduction of £70!

So, what do you all think? Take the £225, or go for a third letter, and possible further reduction?

Does anybody know if I'll jeopardise the reduction I've already got if I do this? They have said that I need to accept this offer within the next 28 days.

Thanks
  • Ian_W
    Ian_W Posts: 3,778 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I don't think they'll want to go to the FOS because of the costs to them - but couldn't be 100% they won't withdraw their offer. So there is that risk.

Your call but but personally I'd go for a further letter asking for a deadlock letter and see what transpires. Let us know what you decide & BoL whichever it is.
  • herbiesjp
    herbiesjp Posts: 8,499 Forumite
    Options
    For those of you with Woolwich and looking to move away shortly please note that their fee to close down the mortgage has just gone up again.

Sep 2003 - £150
    Dec 2003 - Dec 2005 - £195
    Dec 2005 - £275

These are the figures I have to hand at the moment

Hope this helps someone to prepare some letters
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • Congers
    Options
    Thanks Ian W. Third letter in the post tomorrow morning with that last paragraph emphasizing the FOS. I didn't know it would be a cost to them to take the complaint there, so fingers crossed.
  • Ching_Ching
    Options
    herbiesjp wrote:
    For those of you with Woolwich and looking to move away shortly please note that their fee to close down the mortgage has just gone up again.

Sep 2003 - £150
    Dec 2003 - Dec 2005 - £195
    Dec 2005 - £275

These are the figures I have to hand at the moment

Hope this helps someone to prepare some letters

Following Herbiesjp's reminder, has anyone had any luck in getting The Woolwich to reduce or waive the fee to close down a mortgage?

Ching_Ching
  • Simon_gloster
    Options
    Hi

New to the board and hope to help others if I can.

Interesting to hear of the Closing charges people have had.

I was at C&G's head office for 5 years, now an advisor. My fixed rate with C&G is due for rem in March.

I knew how their internal system worked, so I made a few enquires. When I took my mortage out with them in 2003, the Closing Admin Cahrge (CAC) was £99. Its now £225. Now the trick, and I'd imagine this procedure is similar with other lenders.

Write to a customer service dept complaing of the huge increase. They will issue a standard letter that someone presses a button to generate. Admitantly, they should and do in most cases provide literature detailing a hike in fees, and they will say they have.

Reply to their first letter, this time complaining it's eg150% increase etc and use the FOS route. they again will reply this time someone will actually dictate a letter.

When you reply a third time with issues, they will deadlock it. It would cost C&G over £300 to resolve my CAC £225 issue. So they offered me £99 CAC and I aqccepted.

I also used to credeem accounts in my old days and remove legal charges. Believe me this is not a £25 admin task let alone £225.

Si
  • Congers
    Options
    I'd just like to convey my thanks to all who've contributed to this thread. Today I received a letter from Alliance and Leicester in response to my third letter of complaint, in which they have now reduced the Admin charge down to £140.

Part of me says to fight on to get it down to the original figure, but I think I'll cut and run and take the £140.

Many thanks again to all.
  • patchman
    patchman Posts: 101 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    On a similar note Northern Rock have agreed to reduce my exit fee from £250 to £85, as I have already paid the fee they are crediting my bank account with £165, result!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport