Deeds

Options
Hi hope someone can answer this for me.

Paid our Woolich mortgage off last year (July) and have only ever received a letter saying thank you for the payment..Nothing more. Should we have the deeds?? or something more?

Comments

• CLAPTON
    CLAPTON Posts: 41,865 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    yes, they should return the deeds / registry document etc unless you have asked them to store them for you...phone them up and check out the situation....looks like a muck up to me.
  • looby-loo_2
    looby-loo_2 Posts: 1,566 Forumite
    Options
    Ours took about a year to come from Britannia.

I did read a while ago that as deeds are now only historical documents (because a property is registered electronically with the Land Registry) that some building societies destroyed deeds to save storage space.
    Doing voluntary work overseas for as long as it takes .......
    My DD might make the odd post for me
  • oldenufftoknowbetter
    Options
    Thanks for the replies will chase them up on this..

Must have been half asleep looking at my spelling on the last post..........:o
  • judy2357
    judy2357 Posts: 3,743 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Deeds now are made up of 1/2 pieces of paper and a plan which you should have (or at least a copy). This is whats called a Title Information form and plan. However in your case the Building Society most probably had other old documents Conveyances searches etc stored until your mortgage was repaid which if not destroyed should be returned to you. Best you ring them up and see what theyve got.
    2008£3002009£13002010£15002011£41952012£21942013£1494
    2014£24402015£10222016JAN£20FEB£210MAR£80APR£26tMAYWillowPouchBag£65BathPillowCrCardcover,Curry
    JUN£10m'shakeJULpennywellAUGCameraFootproducts£27SEPMiniBBQOCTB'let£45Jarm£4Jacket£80GoodyBag£40NOVmealfor2Ace,ScarfTotes£100DECChocs,AsterixDVD,DVD&bk

• grannybroon
    grannybroon Posts: 2,214 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Our A&L mortgage paid off last month and deeds arrived in the post on the day after last payment had been made. However, here in Scotland deeds require to be finalised by a Solicitor.

GB
  • Di-Dough
    Di-Dough Posts: 306 Forumite
    Options
    When you pay off your mortgage the Building Society normally send you a form which they have signed (Form DS1 ) which you then send on to the Land Registry - this basically tells the Land Registry that you have paid off your Mortgage and they will alter your Title Certificate by taking off the Charge relating to the Woolwich. Apart from that it does not actually matter if they don't send you anything else because as long as your Title is registered at the Land Registry you can always get a copy of your Title Certificate.

Di
    Sealed Pot Challenge # 007
  • oldenufftoknowbetter
    Options
    Spoke to Barclays/Woolich yesterday and was told that they actually keep the deeds till we request them, also said there is no charge for this. Have asked for this to be put in writing and sent to me to confirm that correct but if they store with no charge then I see no problem with leaving things as they are.
  • Mary_Hartnell
    Mary_Hartnell Posts: 874 Forumite
    Options
    There could be some useful stuff in the "bundle" of documents that won't be on the Land Registry - such as rot & woodworm certificates and something saying the cavities have been insulated.
    The Government is being forced to keep another register of home condition by EU legislation (one of the justifications for the HIP) but it is very early days yet, so keep all the documentation you can. You just never know when something "legal" will arrive through your letterbox/insurance company in the next 25 years.
    (In 35 years we have had to fight off two claims that our boundaries are in the wrong place and a potential punch up over our (non existent) wayleave for our water supply.)
    First step is to pay 3 or 6 GBP to the Land Registry over the internet and make sure everything is in order with your title. (Is an owner still entitled to a free copy if he/she calls in in person?)
  • hostertlady
    hostertlady Posts: 873 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Di-Dough wrote: »
    When you pay off your mortgage the Building Society normally send you a form which they have signed (Form DS1 ) which you then send on to the Land Registry - this basically tells the Land Registry that you have paid off your Mortgage and they will alter your Title Certificate by taking off the Charge relating to the Woolwich. Apart from that it does not actually matter if they don't send you anything else because as long as your Title is registered at the Land Registry you can always get a copy of your Title Certificate.

Di

is it only houses built after a certain date that need to be registered or all houses??
  • Henwen
    Henwen Posts: 66 Forumite
    Options
    Depends whether your house is registered at Land Registry. If it is, any paper deeds should have been sent back to you or destroyed a couple of years ago when banks started emptying their deeds storage rooms. Most banks gave you the option to choose whether you wanted them bac, I think. The main "document" proving ownernership would now be held on Land Registry's computer. Might be worth a call to Woolwich if you can't remember receiving anything about this.

Hope that helps.

Feeling the pinch but trying to bring down that mortgage - thank heavens for MSE.com!
    :hello:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport