Tax

Options
If I made items for a car boot would I have to pay tax?

Comments

• soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,204 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If I made items for a car boot would I have to pay tax?

The short answer is yes if your personal allowances are used elsewhere.

Regardless of whether you work elsewhere or not you should still register as self employed with HMRC, but all your associated costs can be taken from your gross profit before you get to a net taxable income.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • wileycat
    wileycat Posts: 2,285 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Would you have to OR do you have to....

If its a business style thing you should pay tax in techincal terms.
  • kevinyork
    kevinyork Posts: 1,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well you should definately register as a business with the Taxman and request a Tax Return to fill in. Whether you pay tax on that income depends on if your allowances ave already been eaten up by other income.

I know many car booters wouldnt bother but thats the risk they take. The Taxman can be extremely unforgiving if they discover a business that isnt registered or non declared income.
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,218 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I think it is best to register early on. When you do your books and set all of your expenses against your sales you may well find that the profit is minimal.

I believe you should register within 3 months of starting trading. If you don't register when you should you can have problems if your venture becomes a success and grows.

An acquaintance started a small venture which to his surprise grew rapidly. He was forced to declare it and was given a hard time by the Revenue for not registering within the time limit.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure