Maternity Leave - Advice on Benefits

Options
Hello, :hello::hello::hello:

I'm expecting my first child on Christmas Day :D:D:D and after waiting so long (almost 6 years) to conceive I really don't want to go back to work for a couple of years at least.

I currently earn £18.5k and my hubby earns around £12-13k. We only have a small mortgage and I'm sure we could manage if we really cut back financially.

Can anyone advise me what (if any) benefits I will be entitled to if I do give up work after my maternity leave. The company I work for do not have a maternity package and I'll only be getting the basic maternity pay after the baby is born.

Hope someone can help.

Popsy x
Popsy x

Comments

• Rachel85
    Rachel85 Posts: 370 Forumite
    Options
    Firstly - CONGRATULATONS!

As for the finances... As your OH earns more, could you consider both going part-time?

In terms of what you'd be able to receive in terms of financial benefits, you will get Child Benefit, but not sure how much this is now. I believe there's a website called EntitledTo where you can put in your circumstances for an estimation of benefits.

I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will come along soon!
    There is no such thing as a free lunch. Its only free because you've paid for it.

Noone can have everything they want and the sooner you learn that the better.

MSE Aim: To have more "thanks" than "posts"! :T
  • squashy
    squashy Posts: 951 Forumite
    Options
    Congratulations!

You probbaly wont be able to claim any income support etc but you will be able to get Tax Credits. You may also be able to get housing benefit too as that is means tested but they will take into account any Tax Credits you are getting. Also look at sure start maternity grant, claim using your new reduced income figure once you are on mat leave.

Your situation is very similar to mine, I ideally wanted a couple of years aswell but as a compromise I am having one year off then returning to work while my husband becomes a stay at home dad, purely because my earning capacity is more and I am much happier doing this than using a nursery etc. Is this something you would consider?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure