New Year in Scotland with kids - any ideas where/what??

Options
My hubbie and I would like to book something for just after christmas, and get away for a few days with the kids. I was thinking that scotland would be nice for the new year. Any ideas of where we could go that's nice and ok for kids - plus has festivities on over the new year (I would imagine that's everywhere in scotland!!)

We went to Edinburgh at Easter so would like to try somewhere different for this trip (but Edinburgh was fantastic!!)

Comments

• Bossyboots
    Bossyboots Posts: 6,746 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    What's your budget?
  • VixxAnn
    VixxAnn Posts: 351 Forumite
    Options
    hadn't given it much thought yet, kind of depends on what we get!! (chicken and the egg I know!)

for a fully inclusive New Year Break for about 3 days for the 2 adults and 3 kids I reckon we may be looking at around £700/800?? I'd be prepared to spend £700 ish but would expect something good.
  • Tojo_Ralph
    Tojo_Ralph Posts: 8,373 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The Craigendarroch in Ballater is always a hit at New Year. :)
    The MSE Dictionary
    Loophole - A word used to entice people to read clearly written Terms and Conditions.
    Rip Off - Clearly written Terms and Conditions.
    Terms and Conditions - Otherwise known as a loophole or a rip off.
  • saveapenny
    saveapenny Posts: 6,773 Forumite
    Options
    http://www.islesofglencoe.com/ Have a look at that hotel,
    Its very very nice for adults too + the most stunning scenery

Value Online BB £394.50 (based on 2 adults and 2 children under 10)
    29th for 3 days

Includes Bed and Full Scottish Breakfast
    If you look anything like your passport photo....Your too ill to travel
  • Dumyat
    Dumyat Posts: 2,143 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I know you said you were discounting edinburgh but it has loads on at new year....parades, princes street gardens winter wonderland (ice skating etc)
    x x x
  • VixxAnn
    VixxAnn Posts: 351 Forumite
    Options
    thanks everyone so far..

the Craigendarroch in Ballater looks lovely, but have just checked and they are booked up!

Will have a look at the Glencoe one - its quite a way for us to travel but if its worth it.... ;)

and I may still yet be swayed back to Edinburgh , I love the place but just thought we should go somewhere different as we were there earlier this year - but then again sounds like theres a lot going on at New Year (indecisive aren't I!) Didn't it get cancelled the last couple of years due to bad weather?

any one else got any suggestions?
  • lozkate
    lozkate Posts: 127 Forumite
    Options
    We have stayed at Polmaily Country House Hotel

https://www.polmaily.co.uk

it was great for us, and the kids had loads to do as well. It is v close to lock Ness although we didnt need to go anywhere but the hotel when we stayed. Always thought it would be lovely to stay Xmas / New Year.

Kate
  • parkside_stroller
    Options
    I lived in Edinburgh until recently (still nearby) and I can confirm that there is lots on at New Year or Hogmany as we call it, see this website http://www.edinburghshogmanay.org/
    or look at this for info on what is on elsewhere
    http://www.hogmanay.net/

Could also type hogmany into a search engine and see what you get.

Edinburgh's New Year celebrations were only cancelled in part on one particular year (2 years ago if I remember correctly) due to extreme weather conditions i.e. extremely high winds and freezing cold heavy rain. Sometimes we get a bit snow which is nice but usually dry (ish) but cold (as anywhere in Scotland at that time of year). The weather doesn't usually stop anyone partying though.

Please note that you will need tickets if you want to be anywhere within a central cordoned zone on 31st December - they are available at the edinburghshogmany website or by booking something such as a meal or going to a ceilidh or some other event.

Events start with a torchlit procession on Thurs 29 Dec and you also get a fireworks display on the 7 hills Edinburgh is built on at the turn of the year.

Your kids may well like the ice rink (how old are they I didn't notice if you posted that) or amusements rides in Princes Street Gardens over that period.
    There is a variety of food stalls and if its cold you can buy hot soup or mulled wine as well as burgers, chips, crepes, currys and loads more.
    I like the German markets (also in the Princes St gardens) and if you have a ticket for the central cordoned zone you can take in some live music. Tickets for the zone are free if you apply well in Adv - from 1 October but you can also buy event packs if you don't get in quick enough.

Also massive big wheel ride if you want a view over the city (or go up Arthur's Seat on New Year's Day if you feel particularly energetic - its a big hill in Holyrood Park where people traditionally go to shake the cobwebs off from the night before).

Glasgow does a party in the main George Square with live music and the like but I don't know anymore about Glasgow's celebrations.

I always make a point of going uptown in Edinburgh at New Year with my kids so I suppose you can take that as a recommendation.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure