Problem with an Amazon Seller

I would be grateful if anyone with experience of Amazon could advise me on the following problem.

I purchased a shredder from a business selling through Amazon back in January. The 1st one arrived and it didn't work when plugged in. Seller said to send it back and they would refund the postage if a receipt was provided. The second one arrived and the shredder bin was cracked so the seller advised to send the bin back only and they would replace it. The replacement bin has never arrived.

Despite proving the postage spent, I have never been refunded that either. Despite phone calls, emails, a letter sent registered post, there is no sign of the bin or the refunded postage. The letter/email I sent basically said that I expected them to either send me a workable shredder or give me a refund within 7 working days of the date of my letter or else they could consider my letter as being a letter before action and I would pursue them through the small claims court. I did not receive any response.

So after 7 days passed I called them and the "manager" said they were waiting for a replacement bin from their supplier. I explained that I placed my order in January, it was now June and as I did not have a working shredder and they had failed to keep me informed despite promises to call me back then didn't, their failure to even show me the courtesy of acknowledging my letter and emails ad the fact that 6 months is an unreasonable length of time to be expected to wait, I wanted a full refund. She told me I had to return the other half of the shredder back first, which I declined to do as I am not paying more postage for it not to be refunded. I am currently out of pocket by £100. She agreed to refund my money for the shredder though Amazon and post me a cheque for my postage costs. The woman was a complete drip, and it was me leading the call and getting out of her how long it would take for the money to be returned which is how I finally came up the timescale that the money would be received by Friday at the latest which she agreed to.

It is now Saturday and I have received nothing. I have emailed Amazon to see if they can assist but I have no idea whether they will assist and how long they will take to respond as I am not a regular user of ebay or Amazon so inexperienced with their methods of dealing with buyer/seller issues.

I paid by credit card so I don't know whether I can still contact my card provider as nearly 6 months have passed so need to investigate this.

Any advice please as this is getting on my nerves now

thanks

Comments

• Hintza
    Hintza Posts: 19,420 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    You need to start a dispute via Amazon (not sure how long you have) but probably still worth a try.

I have had one dispute and although I felt (as seller) I was in the right Amazon put me under quite a lot of pressure to sort it it out in favour of the buyer, which I did in the end through clenched teeth. My understanding of Amazon is they are normally pretty fair but woe betide you if you get on their bad side as a seller.

You really need to send the shredder back (that is only fair at this stage) you want to have a tracking number.

Just keep the pressure on.
  • paintpot
    paintpot Posts: 764 Forumite
    Thanks for that. I couldn't see how to raise a dispute as I "purchased" the non existent shredder six months ago but on looking again I am outside the time limit. I will send them "the other half" of the shredder back which I told them I would but I expect them to outlay the postage of that via a returns label or similar but I am not paying AGAIN only for it not to be refunded. They just don't communicate, it's very frustrating over such a simple item. Having worked in customer service their approach to solving a simple problem is astounding. Six months over a shredder is ridiculous! I have been more than patient.

Any further assistance appreciated.

thanks
  • kevinyork
    kevinyork Posts: 1,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Yes the Amazon A to Z process has to be initiated within 90 days of the order date.

However, I have found Amazon to be quite helpful, even after this time. It may still be worth emailing Amazon explaining the issue and say you are dissapointed that your buying experience on the Amazon Markeplace has been tainted. They can contact the seller for you but it depends if the person handling your email has the enthusiasm to do this or not.

Finally, if you paid by Credit Card then the card issuer may be able to help. You only have consumer protection for purchases over £100 but some card issuers will still assist.

Good luck.
  • paintpot
    Thanks alot

I am not going to let this company get away with it. I think I might bug Amazon to death as this seller has other poor feedback but I will wait and see if Amazon respond and what they say, contact my card provider and last port of call is to issue proceedings against the company as it is run by a bunch of muppets. There aren't two sides to this story, as in there in no ambiguity, they simply haven't provided the goods I have paid for in working order, end of story.

I've come this far!
  • paintpot
    I have had a reply from Amazon already requesting my tracking numbers for the two returns and apologising for my experience and thanking me for my patience.

Hopefully they are looking into for me and will assist! :T
  • paintpot
    Amazon have now said they can't assist me as I am outside 90 days but have said they are "investigating" the seller based on what I have told them. I sent an email directly to the "MD" of the company having obtained it from their customer service department, basically I requested a refund, gave him a deadline in which to respond which was yesterday or I would have to issue proceedings. It turns out they are a small concern and it was the MD who answered a call "I think" a few weeks back, said he would look into it and call back, but didn't :rolleyes: So, today I did issue proceedings against them. So,I have no product, no refund, £100 quid out of pocket and paid £25 court fees on top. I have reached the point that if I don't get the money back, fine, but I will make life as difficult for this company as I possibly can. I just can't stand crooks which is what they are. How they can ignore unpteen phone calls, emails, registered post letters when all I want is a working shredder or my money back :mad: Any chance of success do you think?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure