Debt help!!!

Options
Having recently been to hell and back with debt problems etc, please make sure you all know and let others know about the FANTASTIC support and guidance that is there for you all... whether serving, ex services or even dependants of from The Royal British Legion and SSAFA. They pulled out all the stops for me and my little one. I would not be where I am now if it were not for their kindness and professional knowledge. I just wish that I had been told to go to them earlier. Many people think that all they do is a bit of tin rattling and poppy selling. WRONG!!! They are involved in welfare at every level. Please bear them in mind for yourself, friends or family. I will be eternally grateful to both of these organisations. :A
:happyloveLife - Live it to the full, but live it wisely :A

Comments

• GillzD_2
    GillzD_2 Posts: 61 Forumite
    Options
    what sort of help do they offer?
  • brimau_2
    brimau_2 Posts: 170 Forumite
    Options
    I was out on the street 20 months ago when my husband took off. I sorted out accommodation with the help of family. Had I gone to them at the beginning they could have found me somewhere to live and sorted out the moving costs etc. (They actually did this for a friend of mine and also sorted out white goods for her) They rallied round and for weeks, gave me vouchers for ASDA so i could go shopping and lighten the 'bill burden', They came and visited me to give support and a shoulder to cry on, they paid for me to go bankrupt (£500) as there really was no other option, and they are still there for me now..... :-)
  • GillzD_2
    GillzD_2 Posts: 61 Forumite
    Options
    thats fab they are there like that! sorry to hear about your trouble people should really be made aware that they can help like that!
  • brimau_2
    brimau_2 Posts: 170 Forumite
    Options
    Exactly!! I served for 13 years and have to admit I didn't know the full extent of the services they provide. If it were not for an ex army friend telling me to call them...I would still be struggling.
  • charlie42bravo
    Options
    For Naval and Royal Marine Personnel there is also the Royal Naval Benevolent Trust and the Royal Navy and Royal Marines Childrens fund. However, if charitable funding is not appropriate, there is always Credit Action and the Consumer Credit Counselling Service (CCCS), who are very good at sorting peoples finances out and advocating on peoples behalves with creditors.
  • stevwarn
    stevwarn Posts: 55 Forumite
    Options
    For Naval and Royal Marine Personnel there is also the Royal Naval Benevolent Trust and the Royal Navy and Royal Marines Childrens fund. However, if charitable funding is not appropriate, there is always Credit Action and the Consumer Credit Counselling Service (CCCS), who are very good at sorting peoples finances out and advocating on peoples behalves with creditors.

Both charities mentioned above are very good at helping RN/RM families & service personnel in need. The RN RM Childrens fund are also excellent if the debt impacts on the children they are very generous link: http://www.rnrmchildrensfund.org.uk/

The Army and RAF also have their own charities which SSAFA access. However, in my experience all charities want to see the person involved trying to sort out their debts i.e. going to CAB or Nationaldebt line http://www.nationaldebtline.co.uk/ . Also they don't always like paying off unsecured loans i.e. bank loans or credit cards. They prefer to help out with utility bills or offer food vouchers, but this is not always the case.
  • charlie42bravo
    Options
    Is that who I think it is?

Hi Steve!
  • happyinflorida
    Options
    Just to let everyone know, the RBL are there to help anyone who's ever had a member of the family in the services - that includes most people as most of us had our fathers/grandfathers doing subscription during the wars!

Do contact them, they are very good at helping - especially for financial help.;)
  • Marker_2
    Marker_2 Posts: 3,260 Forumite
    Options
    Do they help for debt accrued through a gambling problem?
    99.9% of my posts include sarcasm!
    Touch my bum :money:
    Tesco - £1000 , Carpet - £20, Barclaycard - £50, HSBC - £50 + Car - £1700
    SAVED =£0
    Debts - £2850
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts