July 2008 Grocery Challenge

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
3.1K replies 305.6K views

Replies

• busy_mum_4busy_mum_4 Forumite
    110 Posts
    smetf wrote: »
    Hi all
    Haven't had time to catch up on posts but thought you would like to hear my mad dream from last night! We were all together discussing food and shopping (of course) in a big room- now obviously don't know what any of you look like so you all were like user names- orkney star ( a star of course) a penguin I think merfe and I were distinctly smurf like, herbaholic- large bunch of herbs etc etc!!
    Very very bizarre but I woke up smiling and thinking I might be slightly addicted to the grocery challenge :eek:
    Must do a bit of essay writing before Baby Cafe will probably drop in again later to catch up properly ;)

Smetf
    PS I am not mad honest just have very strange dreams :D

This did make me laugh out loud:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: as I am sitting here addicted to this site, and in my living room sits a HUGE pile of ironing, this mornings washing up still sitting there, and no beds made. Yes I really look like a busy mum don't I. (NOT) LOL,LOL,LOL
    :hello: JULY G/C £50 WEEK

WEEK 1 = £69.50 :eek:

WEEK 2 = £60.83:eek:
    Week 3 :mad: £72.05 :mad:
  • calleywcalleyw Forumite
    9.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hopefully a NSD for me today.

But yesterday I went to the:

co-op -2 X lots of bread muffins 40p (reduced from 85p to 20p a packet)straight in the freezer.

Somerfield Celery 18p, 1 x JW Tin of Tuna 37p and 2 X Tuna in a packet lemon and pepper £1.10 (reduced to 55p a packet)

Then went to sainsburys to got a few bargains spent £1.85 only thing I paid full price for was the milk at 80p for 2 pints. Everything else was about 90% off :jincluding for 10p for 3 slices of beef from the taste the difference range which was £2.99 to start with :eek:

Yours

Calley
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • MERFEMERFE Forumite
    2.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi thanks for everyone kind thoughts, we had just got used the idea of 3 as well and had told far more people than I thought we had, I'm still avoiding one friend I know I need to tell. I dont get to dwell on it too much though as I have two beautiful healthy little uns to keep me busy.

I totally forgot to say my target this month so obviously my brain isnt quite back to normal. Will be aiming for around 190 pounds this month and going to really try to stick to it. Gonna start potty training little man at the end of the month (once dd preschool breaks up for summer) he is showing lots of signs and has done the odd afternoon with no nappy with only the odd accident so hopefully once he is nappy free that'll save 15ish pounds a month.
  • KAAT_LADYKAAT_LADY Forumite
    4.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    good morning all

what a lovely day today the sun is shining

mandy moo........ poor old dylan

see you soon
    mortgage free as of 06/02/2008#
    berthas buddies No 5
    murphys no more pies club member ,No 242..
    .,night owl 25

• philsmumphilsmum Forumite
    149 Posts
    Good morning to you all,

I think I need a little help, made some yogurt last I,was looking forward to having it for breakfast but when I opened the flask it is curdled, more like cottage cheese, but it is still warm, should I just leave it to cool in flask or throw away. DH thinks it is hilarious as I have been bragging to neighbours about it, he will I am sure be taking it round as exhibit 1. Neighbours are really nice, but think I am a little strange with all this GC. They could not be bothered, but they have more money than us (violin playing in background) poor pensioners.
    Hoping for a NSD today as went to Lidl yesterday to stock up on half price F&V before offer ends on Sunday.
    Hope you all have a good day, weather permitting
    Debt free from April 2012:T:T:T:T:j:j:j:j
  • perrywinkleperrywinkle Forumite
    224 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    annelouise wrote: »
    Another planned NSD,

Have just made Cinnamon Syrup for pancakes,porridge.

Got the thumbs up from dd9

120g sugar
    600mls boiling water
    1 dspn cinnamon

Simmer 5-8 mins until thickened,decant into jar.Cheaper than syrup.Might have a try using it in Twinks later.

annelouise

Thanks for the recipe annelousie - will give it a try when the kids have pancakes for breakfast at the weekend as you said it will be much cheaper than syrup.

Perrywinkle
  • patentgirlpatentgirl Forumite
    974 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭
    Merfe just caught up with the thread and saw your sad news sorryxx
    Frugal challenge 2021
    Yearly food challenge 2021 £3200 spent £434.50
  • NSD for me today, just in the middle of making funkyfunkymonkeys chocolate cake to cheer LO up.

Merfe-sorry to hear your news ((((((hugs))))) sending you love and positive thoughts

G&B's-- what is funkyfunkymonkeys chocolate cake and can I have the recipe please- am making stuff to take to my Mums for her birthday this weekend :D

We have blue skies outside so trip to Lidls is on (my life is tres exciting eh?!) so bread flour and baking goodies here we come!

Hope everyone is okay and more ((((hugs)))) for anyone else who needs one- will try to peek in more than once today- promise!!
    June Budget= £151.41/£150:cool:
    10 NSDs (with teenagers :eek:!!)= 8
    Reduced my overdraft a little today- slow but sure!:A
  • dink1 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Went to mr t to get some flowers yesterday for a planned gift and came out with some crisps and whoopsied veg totalling £2.38 so will add that to siggy in a sec. hope everyone has a good day

Mum of just two - thanks for the advice on the yogurt
    Merfe - sorry tohear of your loss
    always_skint - welcome and dont be frightened to ask any questions
    leopardlady - glad to hear your knees are getting better
    Denise fowler - hope you are ok today we all have crap days now and again remember we are here for ya
    here we go again - sorry cant be more original than suggested stock for soup and stew

dink1

Thanks Dinks for thinking of everyone, I can never remember who said wot so my thanks go to one and all, for what you've said, are about to say and even what you thought of but didn't get around to say:T :T :T :T :T :T:A
    lost 3stin 4mnths GC nov£90/£51.65 July£100/£97.67 Aug£90/£18.59
    LBM Nov05 Loan £4910.65 Paid April07 sealed pot challenge#256
    Nov06 CC £2,590.56 Paid aug07 + Savings07/08 Night Owl 22#
    Mortgage £87,000/£84,000/ £82,261.00/£81,785.30 £80,268/£75402.00/£71229.15 DFW NERD 987 Long Haul member 125 debt free 24th aug 07
  • OrkneyStarOrkneyStar Forumite
    6.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    smetf wrote: »
    Hi all
    Haven't had time to catch up on posts but thought you would like to hear my mad dream from last night! We were all together discussing food and shopping (of course) in a big room- now obviously don't know what any of you look like so you all were like user names- orkney star ( a star of course) a penguin I think merfe and I were distinctly smurf like, herbaholic- large bunch of herbs etc etc!!
    Very very bizarre but I woke up smiling and thinking I might be slightly addicted to the grocery challenge :eek:
    Must do a bit of essay writing before Baby Cafe will probably drop in again later to catch up properly ;)

Smetf
    PS I am not mad honest just have very strange dreams :D
    lol lol lol :eek: :D mad or what ?
    I wish I had interesting dreams like that!
    I did once dream that Primark were coming here but no such luck, although now we have Tescos........
    :heartpuls :heartpuls :heartpuls
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides

Cinema MoneySaving tips & tricks

Including year's 2for1 movies for £1

MSE Deals