Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

July 2008 Grocery Challenge - Page 108

New Post Advanced Search

July 2008 Grocery Challenge

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
3.1K replies 304.3K views

Replies

• hi everyone how does this work i post what i want to spend in july on here and then keep track of it/
  • Sunny_DonnySunny_Donny Forumite
    300 posts
    Hi Michelle
    Everyone does it differently. My £200 per month is for food, wine, cleaning stuff and toiletries. (Eating out and takeaways come from a treat budget, but some include it in this challenge)
    Keep every receipt for the month and then you can work out what you have spent or if you have an idea of what you spent last month, use that as your starting point, you can andjust for Augut. Don't forget if it is a 4 or 5 week month, you may have to adjust your total. I do payday to payday 28th of month.
    Hope this helps. Everyone is friendly and will answer any questions.

NEWS update: Tesco have reduced prices on 4000 items today!!:j

Lots of love and hugs to Mrs M and hubby.:A
    Mortgage free as at 1/9/13 :j
    To start work on the credit cards now!!
  • SuziQSuziQ Users Awaiting Email Confirmation
    3K posts
    Floxxie wrote: »
    thanks for that-off to browse!
    Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it!
  • FloxxieFloxxie Forumite
    2.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Annelouise wrote: »
    Reading Express nline found a nice pasta amatriciana recipe,I've MSE'D it and this is how I'll make it

400g penne pasta
    400g bacon (lardons,streaky,bacon offcuts)
    2 onions finely chopped
    1 tin value tomatoes
    Dash chili paste or chili flakes
    125mls red wine
    mixed herbs
    3 handfuls strong cheese and parmesan grated and mixed
    annelouise

Thanks Annelouise; great excuse to open a bottle of wine!

I don't think it will need that long. Tomatoes go really sweet when cooked for a while so may be an hour, although I woudl be surprised if there would be any liquid left.
    Does anybody know if Parmesan can be frozen please?

Floxxie
    Mortgage start September 2015 £90000 MFiT #06
  • mumzyof2mumzyof2 Forumite
    3.3K posts
    does anyone know how MrsM is? and her sister?
    Sealed Pot dec 08 - dec 09 so far £27.67, Live off £4k Spent £330.20 GC £1,200 for 2009 Spent £50.78 PaD so far £650.07
    Debts: L/woods £154.00 C/One PAID O/D £649.90 Next £299.95 O/D PAID Gas £72.60 Electric £155.73 Mum £640.00 Orange £490.32
  • perrywinkleperrywinkle Forumite
    224 posts
    Floxxie wrote: »
    Thanks Annelouise; great excuse to open a bottle of wine!

I don't think it will need that long. Tomatoes go really sweet when cooked for a while so may be an hour, although I woudl be surprised if there would be any liquid left.
    Does anybody know if Parmesan can be frozen please?

Floxxie

Hi,

I freeze parmesan all the time then grate straight from the block or if I have grated it previously just use that straight from frozen. Never any problems and means it never goes mouldy and gets wasted which is great as its so expensive.
    HTH
    Perrywinkle
  • KAAT_LADYKAAT_LADY Forumite
    4.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    WOW :j arent the sally lunns nice:j I have had to freeze ten as they would have gone tonight,:T , DH really enjoyed them...:beer:

After making my own SR flour I put everything in the BM and when I went to look near the end of the dough cycle and the dough was touching the top of the BM.

stillnot sure about the artisan bread not the texture I like DH is not too fussy about it either, will try again with different flour to see how that turns out

We had new potato omellette for tea

which consists of

left over new potatoes sliced or cubed
    onions sliced
    garden peas

all put in a frying pan with as little oil just enough to heat through the potatoes and cook the onions

whisk 4 eggs and a little milk as if you are making omellette an when everything else is hot add the whisked egg & milk and put the lid on to rise

add cheese topping and place under the grill to brown the cheese
    when nice and brown cut into four and enjoy,,,
    we had it with some HM bread
    mortgage free as of 06/02/2008#
    berthas buddies No 5
    murphys no more pies club member ,No 242..
    .,night owl 25

• angelnikkiangelnikki Forumite
    892 posts
    michelle06 :hello: welcome to MSE and the Grocery Challenge. If you have a budget in mind then post it on here and I will add you to the list on the first page of the thread. If you're not sure what you're spending, then just keep the receipts for this month and then add them up at the end of the month. You can add a signature to the bottom of your posts to help you keep track of your spends. Just click on where it says Quick Links near the log out button and then click on Edit Signature

There have been lots of great recipes posted on this thread which you'll find links to on post no 6 on the first page. If you have any questions then dont be shy to post them, everyone on here is really friendly and everyone has great tips to share. Good luck for your first month :)

((((MrsM))))

Nikki
    x
    :A
  • Diane_239Diane_239 Forumite
    266 posts
    hi could someone tell me which flour i need to use for the cookie dough please?thanks
    July 2008 Grocery Challenge.[£200/£200]
    Aug Grocery Challenge £200
  • Mrs_Money_PennyMrs_Money_Penny Forumite
    786 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Hi everyone. Another NSD today thats 3 in a row! Won't be going to the shops until Thursday to top up.

Used up some cooking apples I got from last week. Stewed them in the microwave and then put in a dish and put a sponge mixture on the top. Had with custard. Delicious. Enough left for another 5 puddings. I may well freeze one dish full. Have a good evening.
    £23356.04£44348.32/[COLOR="Red£1985.16[/COLOR]Mortgage neutral 03/19