Ideas for free activities and places to visit in Scotland during school hols

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Scotland
17 replies 6.7K views
shelovestobuystuffshelovestobuystuff Forumite
2.7K Posts
1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
✭✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Scotland
If theres a thread on this already forum monitor please merge me.

We are not going away on holiday this summer,we dont usually,so I thought it would be usefull to share ways,preferably FREE ways of keeping the kids entertained and the parents sane during the long summer holidays.
I have used Scottish in the title so that this thread is hopefully filled with ideas of places to visit with travelling distance of any members also in Scotland.Please post any ideas and links to coupons for money off or free entry,post details of local events and places to visit as well as your ideas for FREE days out and at home activities.

Heres a useful link for people in or within easy travelling distance to East Ayrshire.Dean castle country park which has loads of free and minimal cost events and activities for kids during the summer.Medieval day and the rangers activities are my favs.You can download a table of events using the site link on the right of this page http://www.deancastle.com/events/
"Reaching out to touch the stars dont forget the flowers at your feet".

Replies

• shelovestobuystuffshelovestobuystuff Forumite
    2.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    FREE & FUN things to get up to in your own garden.
    I will add to this as I think of things.
    1/make a little private garden area for the kids to dig and plant in(a metre square is enough if you are pushed for space or even some pots),it will keep them busy for ages and is very educational too.Kids love to dig and discover.
    2/Bug hotel.Good for the garden and for the kids.Lay some bits of wood in a pile,logs or planks and make sure its somewhere they wont be disturbed.The kids can lift the top plank gently and see who has moved in.If you are very lucky you may even get stag beatles.
    3/Birdwatching.Invest in some binoculars.A free guide to birds in your garden is available from RSPB(scroll down to bottom of the page on this link for details of 2 totally free booklets.)
    http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/wildlifegarden/
  • Sugarhunny1Sugarhunny1 Forumite
    879 Posts
    We all enjoy a trip to Camperdown Park in Dundee. Kids would stay there for hours if they could! There is a boating pond (£3 for 1 boat, 25 minutes) and there is also a snack bar thing that sells coffee/etc but we always take a picnic and walk around. There is huge grounds attached to it and you could spend a full day walking round! Plenty of free car parking spaces! There is also a mini wildlife section that costs to use but my kids never bother with it so unaware of costs.

There is also a massive park at Dunfermline, this also has a large play area for the kids and we take monkey nuts to feed the many squirrels!!! An excellent day out. Ice cream stand. Again there is large grounds to walk around and many a wee path here and there for exploring.

HTH!

Sugar xxx
    "The journey of 1000 miles commenced with a single step"
  • Sugarhunny1Sugarhunny1 Forumite
    879 Posts
    Oh there is also cheap trips to the cinema for the kids, some give free admission for adults, a few links below:

Odeon - http://www.odeon.co.uk/fanatic/kids/
    This costs £2.50 per child (adults free)

Vue - http://www.myvue.com/family/now_booking.asp?SessionID=1EFFCCF1D7DE44DF923D2362AEB9A377&cn=1&ci=3&ln=1&WT.ac=Family%20Vue%20icon
    This is £1.50 per child (adults free)

Cineworld - http://www.cineworld.co.uk/Headinglist.jgi?CATEGORIE_FPCTG=FM
    This is £1 per person

Please note that the films gets updated weekly (i think)

Sugar xxx
    "The journey of 1000 miles commenced with a single step"
  • shelovestobuystuffshelovestobuystuff Forumite
    2.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Fantastic!My local Odeon runs the kids club sun-thurs so most weekdays but not on sat.A different movie every week.This week its Water Horse.
    I am doing up a special holiday calender so I dont miss any of the activities and the cinema is now on there every week thanks for that!
    Do not book online as there is a card handling fee of 70p for the Odeon for each ticket,even the free one.
  • spacedogspacedog Forumite
    13 Posts
    Out of house: the Royal Botanic Gardens - Edinburgh is free to go too but you need to pay to go into the greenhouses inside the grounds.

In the house: Pigsback.com are doing the colouring compition for kids again. Can't find the page just now but you get a free piggybank if you send in the results (assuming you need to be a member for that though)

Found the link http://www.pigsback.com/pages/4/20/90.aspx?pbq=275%2c275%2cVOVSP
  • MiniLauraMiniLaura Forumite
    482 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    the evenng times in glasgow are doing free child entry tickets to attractions in scotland. Some good offers.

There is also the musuems in glasgow - all free and usually have events happening in them.
    :j Debt-Free-Wannabe! :j
    Declutter/Ebay/Savings
  • spacedogspacedog Forumite
    13 Posts
    Got another one. A friend suggested going fruit picking with her kids, she's going to make jam with what they collect.
  • CruikslCruiksl Forumite
    351 Posts
    I've heard that the Meadow's in Edinburgh is really good for kids. Has a nice playpark.

Also Vogrie Park in Midlothian is brill. Costs £1 for entry and there's loads of lovely walks and a big playground. Plenty places for picnics but a little out of the way.

Trying to think of lots of ideas to keep my little ones entertained. Hopefully it will be a nice summer and I can get the paddling pool out in the back garden. If it's horrible, I picked up a lot of craft stuff from the Pound Shop - paint your piggybank for £1.
    So little money - so much time :mad:
  • Mrs_ThrifyMrs_Thrify Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    Gosh, that is a question???? you do not say what age your children are?
    I would have the pool out alot in the garden, buy some floats, ie a sit on animal, ring. sm boat.
    Save washing up bottles - kids love squirting theese...
    Put lagre amounts of paper on the grass - ie wall paper or newspaper and let the kids loose with paint :rotfl:
    Be green and save empty food containers for junk modeling.
    Blow up balloons and stick funny faces on.
    Loads of craft idea's.....
    Going out - Picnic in the park, I bet your kids will recognise some friends doing the same. off they go to play...
    Check to see if the libary is doing the reading scheme. Whare a child reads say 5 books and a certificate gets sent to their school for them.
    Make a camp/tent in the garden.
    School play scheme?
    Have a sleepover
    Day trip to the beach or river ( take own food) I say river as ony year bought the family rail card/underground card and we walked around London and the river - saw London bridge and the beef eaters walking around
    Free musiems
    Visit Grandma

Hope my list helps? best wishes....Julie
    If winter comes, can spring be far behind?
    Spring begins on 21st March.
  • MiniLauraMiniLaura Forumite
    482 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    :j Debt-Free-Wannabe! :j
    Declutter/Ebay/Savings
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Tesco Clubcard rule tweaks

Be careful when converting points to Cineworld

MSE News

£148 of Ciaté nail polish for £35

Via its Advent calendar (norm £59 delivered)

MSE Deals