PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

how do i stretch kids shoes?

Options
My DD2 is being a pain she is 6 and refuses to wear the new shoes i got her instead she wants to wear her very very worn black boots that zip up.

i got her a lovely little pair of shoes ready for summer but even though they are the correct size she says they are too small and hurt her toes and heel. I have tried to explain that it is just because they are new and that she is not used to them yet still still refuses t put them on.

now i am sure when i was younger we used to do something other then bending them a bit with our hands to loosen and stretch them up so they do not hurt but i can not think what it was any ideas how to stretch them as i do not want to waste a perfectly good pair of shoes and have 2 buy another pair. Its not even like i can pass them down as i do not think my son will want to wear a gold looking pair of shoes.
Still Trying :o
Grocery challenge July 2016
£400/£000

Comments

• carriebradshaw
    carriebradshaw Posts: 1,387 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    can you stuff them real tight with damp newspaper and leave overnight ?
  • Ms_Chocaholic
    Ms_Chocaholic Posts: 12,601 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Were they properly fitted when you bought them, could you take them back and explain your predicament.
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till the End
    You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
  • alba37
    alba37 Posts: 2,616 Forumite
    Options
    I think you can only stretch leather shoes. We used to try by stuffing them tightly with damp newspaper. Not sure it worked very well though!

Seemingly you can get shoe stretcher spray which is ment to work well, may be worth a try? Also it would be good if you could soften the leather at the toes and heals, I have heard of people using hair conditioner.
  • Quackers
    Quackers Posts: 10,157 Forumite
    Options
    .....but even though they are the correct size she says they are too small and hurt her toes and heel. I have tried to explain that it is just because they are new and that she is not used to them yet still still refuses t put them on.

Did you buy them from a shop that fitted them?

If you did then take them back and get them double checked to make sure they do definately fit correctly.

If they were not fitted then there is a chance that they are too small maybe?

You can buy a leather stretch spray from some shoe shops and shoe repair stores - you spray it onto the leather and either wear the shoes or stuff them with newspaper.

But you will only be able to stretch the width. You cannot make shoes longer in the length. And if they aren't leather then they may just be a fairly hard material that isn't 'giving' and feels tight to her - they may just end up giving her blisters/rubbing.

If they haven't been worn at all outside then you may be able to get a refund/exchange depending on where you got them :)
    Sometimes it's important to work for that pot of gold...But other times it's essential to take time off and to make sure that your most important decision in the day simply consists of choosing which color to slide down on the rainbow...
  • Angelraesunshine
    Angelraesunshine Posts: 1,476 Forumite
    Options
    can you stuff them real tight with damp newspaper and leave overnight ?

ah i am sure thats what we did.

unfortunately they are just asda/george shoes and not leather. i would not mind if they had been for DD1 as i could pass them down but there are for DD2 and i can't afford to waste money on getting a 2nd pair for her just because she thinks they are tight ( there not she is just being funny i have checked them on her feet and they have lots of space she is just used to her boots)

think i might try the damp newspaper it cant hurt.
    £400/£000
  • pigpen
    pigpen Posts: 41,038 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    The toes and heels have stiffener in them which might just be a bit stiff... just squash them about and break them down a bit.. That is exactly what Clarks recommend with their own shoes. If they were leather vaseline does the job in no time! or a bit of linseed oil.. man made fibres won't stretch.. canvas will shrink if made wet so damp paper wouldn't be advisable if they are already a bit tight.

Though if they are hurting her toes it may be that they are too shallow and pressing on her toenail.. if they are not wide enough her feet will be pushed right, right back in the shoe so it rubs her heel and her toes won't be able to go near the end so will be uncomfortable in both places.. are they bulging at all on the top? You should be able to easily get a finger in the front around the top of her foot. If you can't get a finger in they are too tight if you can get 2 in they are too wide.

My best advice.. ebay them & don't get shoes from Asda. Clothes from Primark are fine but shoes should always be fitted properly for growing feet.. they need to use their feet for a long long time!! When mine were very small I had other people buy their shoes for birthdays/christmas etc it ensured they had good shoes that I didn't have to pay for!!
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/12/2023 £33602.00 (4.81% int.)
  • skintchick
    skintchick Posts: 15,114 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    If they are rubbing rather than crushing, then a blisterstick works wonders - get it online from Boots (they are never in-store) and rub it on her skin - stops shoes rubbing instantly. It's amazing stuff.
    :cool: DFW Nerd Club member 023...DFD 9.2.2007 :cool:
    :heartpuls married 21 6 08 :A Angel babies' birth dates 3.10.08 * 4.3.11 * 11.11.11 * 17.3.12 * 2.7.12 :heart2: My live baby's birth date 22 7 09 :heart2: I'm due another baby at the end of July 2014! :j
  • Merlot
    Merlot Posts: 1,890 Forumite
    Options
    I too agree with pigpen, get shoes fitted for childrens feet, forget Asda/Tesco/Next etc.
    "Wisdom doesn't automatically come with old age. Nothing does, except wrinkles. It's true, some wines improve with age. But only if the grapes were good in the first place." — Abigail Van Buren
  • pandora205
    pandora205 Posts: 2,934 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Next time it might be worth a trip to Clarks factory outlet at Bicester Village (not sure where you are in Hertfordshire but it may be possible). They do the usual fittings but the shoes are often end of range or last season's styles so they are much cheaper and they are all leather.
    somewhere between Heaven and Woolworth's
  • Angelraesunshine
    Options
    pandora205 wrote: »
    Next time it might be worth a trip to Clarks factory outlet at Bicester Village (not sure where you are in Hertfordshire but it may be possible). They do the usual fittings but the shoes are often end of range or last season's styles so they are much cheaper and they are all leather.

thanks i never knew about that
    £400/£000
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business