Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Motoring > Poor fuel consumption on a new Kia Rio diesel (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Poor fuel consumption on a new Kia Rio diesel
Closed Thread
Views: 4,814
# 1
ItsOnlyMe
Old 27-05-2008, 10:48 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Poor fuel consumption on a new Kia Rio diesel

Hi,
I have a new Kia Rio 1.5 diesel. It has done 2,000 miles and yet I am only getting an mpg of less than 50mpg. I live in quite a rural area but predominently A roads and have been driving sensibly, and not in a city/town.

The quoted Urban (cold) mpg is 52.3, and the combined 62.8.

Is it worth a call to the garage or is this just the norm. I know I can't expect to get the quoted figures but expected to get somewhere near the combined figure, not less than the Urban one!
# 2
thescouselander
Old 27-05-2008, 10:53 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Are your tyres at the correct pressure?
The Following User Says Thank You to thescouselander For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
ItsOnlyMe
Old 27-05-2008, 10:54 AM
MoneySaving Convert

yeah I have checked tyre pressure and it is ok.
# 4
thescouselander
Old 27-05-2008, 10:59 AM

The only other thin I can think of is binding brakes although I would be surprised if this happened on a new car.

It could be that you need to wait for the car to run in a bit and loosen up - its possible you might see the MPG improve with more miles. It could be worth asking the dealer about it anyway.
The Following User Says Thank You to thescouselander For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
ItsOnlyMe
Old 27-05-2008, 11:04 AM
MoneySaving Convert

yeah I will maybe go along and see what they say about it just don't want them to look at it and then charge me anything!

I was unsure whether the running in argument was a myth or not.
# 6
Crabman
Old 27-05-2008, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsOnlyMe View Post
yeah I will maybe go along and see what they say about it just don't want them to look at it and then charge me anything!
I'd think as it's a new car (thus under warranty ) you shouldn't be charged anything full stop!
I'm a Board Guide on the Savings & Investments, ISAs & Tax-free Savings, Public Transport & Cycling, Motoring and Parking Fines, Tickets & Parking Boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly & I can move & merge posts there. Board Guides are not moderators & don't read every post. If you spot a contentious or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com

The Following User Says Thank You to Crabman For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
Inactive
Old 27-05-2008, 11:28 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Doubly Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

It could possibly be because the engine is still tight at 2000 miles.
The Following User Says Thank You to Inactive For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
leehal
Old 27-05-2008, 12:44 PM
MoneySaving Convert

In my experience from owning several diesels over the years you won't really notice anywhere near the quoted figures until 10,000 miles - I would also take the official figures with a pinch of salt. Again from my experience I would knock around 10% of those.
The Following User Says Thank You to leehal For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
Hintza
Old 27-05-2008, 1:08 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

I agree with the last two comments. Get some more miles under your belt.

How are yoy calculating mpg? On board computter or pencil and paper after a fill up?

If not the later fill car drive till you need to fill up and do your calculations then.

With my heavy foot if I get within 20% of quoted figures I would be over the moon...
The Following User Says Thank You to Hintza For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
ItsOnlyMe
Old 27-05-2008, 1:35 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Thanks for replies.
You seem to have cleared up that 'new car requiring run in' is not a myth, which I thought with modern technology was no longer required.

pen and paper method for calculating mpg as it has no computer
# 11
Keith
Old 27-05-2008, 1:50 PM

Remember the quoted figures are gained under test conditions, not in real world driving.
The Following User Says Thank You to Keith For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
Inactive
Old 27-05-2008, 2:17 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Doubly Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsOnlyMe View Post
Thanks for replies.
You seem to have cleared up that 'new car requiring run in' is not a myth, which I thought with modern technology was no longer required.

It is not strictly " running in " that was a period of gentle use in the first few hundred or so miles, in days gone by, it is really wearing in, modern vehicles are made to very tight specifications, and they don't loosen up fully until around the 4/5000 mile mark in my experience.

Things should improve with miles..
The Following User Says Thank You to Inactive For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
leehal
Old 27-05-2008, 4:02 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inactive View Post
It is not strictly " running in " that was a period of gentle use in the first few hundred or so miles, in days gone by, it is really wearing in, modern vehicles are made to very tight specifications, and they don't loosen up fully until around the 4/5000 mile mark in my experience.

Things should improve with miles..
Diesels seem to need more 'running' in that petrol engines, you may find that your car drinks alot of oil in the early stages too.

Another thing to remember with regards MPG is diesels are more efficient in warmer weather.
The Following User Says Thank You to leehal For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
vikingaero
Old 27-05-2008, 6:14 PM

50mpg is good for a new engine diesel. If you're comparing your mpg with the manufacturers/EU stated mpg then you really need to knock 10mpg off their figures to be realistic. I'm fairly sure that the EU mpg test is held on a rolling road in a warehouse with no wind resistance!
The Following User Says Thank You to vikingaero For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
geo555
Old 27-05-2008, 8:16 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

You can read this article about how the MPGs are caculated and why you wont achieve the same results yourself.

http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/tol...cle2214542.ece
(".)
The Following User Says Thank You to geo555 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
AdrianHi
Old 28-05-2008, 1:37 AM

I think the points have been made above now. Expect to fall short of official combined figures by possibly as much as 8%-10% anyway. If you do get the official combined figure (I almost am on my 34,000 mile diesel with similar driving conditions to you) it is likely to be in outside temperatures of around 10-17DegC when no heaters or aircon is required.
38mpg (winter and urban driving) to 53mpg (spring and casual motorway driving) is the range I see.
You need more miles on the car before you start measuring MPG.
Now that you are past the initial 1000 miles make sure you get the revs up near the red line several times a week to loosen the engine up so it can reach it's best performance and economy in time and not become a real oil burner.
In the first 8000 miles or so, as suggested above, watch the oil level like a hawk (every 1000 miles). Mine oil level went - 1000 miles on max, 3000 miles on max, 4000 miles on max, 6000 miles just below minimum!!!! All checks done on the flat with a cold engine. This is a fairly well known phenomena. My car uses hardly any oil now.

I think if you can get 55mpg out of it when you have 8000 miles and the right weather you will be doing well. You will probably notice the engine loosen up and improve a bit more as you go through the 10,000 to 20,000 miles range.

Also use BP Ultimate Diesel if you can find it no more than 6% more expensive than regular diesel. Millers Diesel Sport 4 additive in regular diesel is a good alternative (I've been using it for quite a while now.)

Last edited by AdrianHi; 28-05-2008 at 1:40 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to AdrianHi For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
murphwiz
Old 28-05-2008, 7:29 PM
MoneySaving Convert

The Rio diesel usually starts getting much better consumption after around 10k, 55mpg is around what chap at work gets out of his.
The Following User Says Thank You to murphwiz For This Useful Post: Show me >>
Closed Thread