Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ricflairandy
    • By ricflairandy 10th May 08, 11:23 AM
    • 475Posts
    • 63Thanks
    ricflairandy
    0 WOW
    can you take food in your hand luggage?
    • 10th May 08, 11:23 AM
    0 WOW
    can you take food in your hand luggage? 10th May 08 at 11:23 AM
    We are travling self catering flying with ryanair to spain, and to save a but if money woudl like to take some food with us, such as porridge, pasta, a box of cerial, etc. These woul dhave to go in the hand luggage, as we didnt pay for hold lugage.

Is it ok to take this kind of stuff?
    Waddle you do eh?
Page 1
    • phatbear
    • By phatbear 10th May 08, 12:19 PM
    • 3,199 Posts
    • 2,754 Thanks
    phatbear
    • 10th May 08, 12:19 PM
    • 10th May 08, 12:19 PM
    We are travling self catering flying with ryanair to spain, and to save a but if money woudl like to take some food with us, such as porridge, pasta, a box of cerial, etc. These woul dhave to go in the hand luggage, as we didnt pay for hold lugage.

Is it ok to take this kind of stuff?
    Originally posted by ricflairandy
    Yup food isnt a problem, there are some oddities you need to be aware of though, you cant take more than 100ml of sauces with you, however if there is 200ml of sauce on rice/pasta etc its not a problem. One slight issue how the heck are you going to make porridge and what do you intend to eat your cereal out of?

all the best

the bear
    Live each day like its your last because one day you'll be right
    • pinkpong
    • By pinkpong 10th May 08, 12:24 PM
    • 243 Posts
    • 106 Thanks
    pinkpong
    • 10th May 08, 12:24 PM
    • 10th May 08, 12:24 PM
    Yep food is not a problem it is the drink that you are not allowed . Only 100ml sealed drink on the plane.
    • phatbear
    • By phatbear 10th May 08, 12:33 PM
    • 3,199 Posts
    • 2,754 Thanks
    phatbear
    • 10th May 08, 12:33 PM
    • 10th May 08, 12:33 PM
    Yep food is not a problem it is the drink that you are not allowed . Only 100ml sealed drink on the plane.
    Originally posted by pinkpong
    I dunno if you have worded that quite right, you can take as much liquid as you like on the plane, within reason, however you can only take 100mls through security.

all the best

the bear
    Live each day like its your last because one day you'll be right
  • hazelmere1
    • 10th May 08, 12:44 PM
    • 10th May 08, 12:44 PM
    One slight issue how the heck are you going to make porridge and what do you intend to eat your cereal out of?
    I think the op intends to eat the porridge and cereal whilst on holiday , not on the plane
    • ricflairandy
    • By ricflairandy 10th May 08, 1:01 PM
    • 475 Posts
    • 63 Thanks
    ricflairandy
    • 10th May 08, 1:01 PM
    • 10th May 08, 1:01 PM
    I think the op intends to eat the porridge and cereal whilst on holiday , not on the plane
    Originally posted by hazelmere1

lol correct. Was thinking of taking a bag of porridge, a pack of verity cerials for the kids and then jam in a few packs of pasta or pasta n sauce or even he cheapo supernoodles.
    Might sound a bit cheepo , but Every penny counts eh . And we have 2 weeks to last, and with the amount of crpa the kids will want at the parks....
    Waddle you do eh?
    • ricflairandy
    • By ricflairandy 10th May 08, 1:03 PM
    • 475 Posts
    • 63 Thanks
    ricflairandy
    • 10th May 08, 1:03 PM
    • 10th May 08, 1:03 PM
    Wonder if you can take cofee, that kind of stuff. Trying to think of light , cheep foods that can go in the hand luggage, as we on.y have 10kg each , and the supermarkets will be a ripoff.
    Waddle you do eh?
    • ricflairandy
    • By ricflairandy 10th May 08, 1:10 PM
    • 475 Posts
    • 63 Thanks
    ricflairandy
    • 10th May 08, 1:10 PM
    • 10th May 08, 1:10 PM
    another thing, off topic i suppose, but can you take a razor in your hand luggage, like a gillette one?
    Waddle you do eh?
  • 123oleary
    • 10th May 08, 1:16 PM
    • 10th May 08, 1:16 PM
    spain does have supermarkets!!!
    • ricflairandy
    • By ricflairandy 10th May 08, 1:18 PM
    • 475 Posts
    • 63 Thanks
    ricflairandy
    Well i know that, but from eperience they are a ripoff.
    Waddle you do eh?
  • 123oleary
    how are they a rip off, surely the cost of living in spain is about the same or a little bit less than the uk. the uk is usually regarded as one of the more expensive countries in europe. shop where the locals shop and you should be fine
  • jonnyjackov
    Hi, you will have no problem taking foods in your handluggage, providing it is not liquid. I travel once a month to Spain and take my food for my friends. Even when my handluggage has been searched, the nice security people have never mentioned my food. I also take coffee granules etc, as many english brands are VERY expensive in the supermarkets in Spain.

Hope this helps.
  • Burlesque Babe
    it's fine to take coffee granules into Spain.
    "Stay Wonky"

Become Mrs Pepe 9 October 2012
    • Becles
    • By Becles 10th May 08, 3:19 PM
    • 12,714 Posts
    • 25,185 Thanks
    Becles
    Don't shop in the resort supermarkets that sell Heinz beans, Nescafe coffee, Cadburys biscuits etc.

Find the local supermarket and buy Spanish brands. We found it was cheaper than back home, and the fresh produce was of higher quality.
    Here I go again on my own....
    • ricflairandy
    • By ricflairandy 10th May 08, 3:20 PM
    • 475 Posts
    • 63 Thanks
    ricflairandy
    anyone know where i would find these local supermarkets in salou?
    Waddle you do eh?
  • 123oleary
    try google and then check the locations on a map. also if you have a guide book they usually say where a couple of food markets are.
    • pcg2001
    • By pcg2001 10th May 08, 6:34 PM
    • 1,400 Posts
    • 2,205 Thanks
    pcg2001
    another thing, off topic i suppose, but can you take a razor in your hand luggage, like a gillette one?
    No, you can't. You can't even take nail clippers.

edit: after seeing knighstyle post I checked the ryanair website and he is actually right. I am appalled. I cannot take a yogurt but someone can take a razor!! Can't you remove the cartridge at any time you want? Does it even make a difference?

http://www.ryanair.com/site/EN/faqs.php?sect=bag&quest=prohibiteditems

.... meat cleavers, machetes, open razors and blades (excluding safety or disposable razors with blades enclosed in cartridge), sabres, swords and swordsticks ....
    Last edited by pcg2001; 10-05-2008 at 7:12 PM.
    • pcg2001
    • By pcg2001 10th May 08, 6:47 PM
    • 1,400 Posts
    • 2,205 Thanks
    pcg2001
    anyone know where i would find these local supermarkets in salou?
    Hi, the last time I was in Salou I did not find that the supermarkets were a rip-off. the UK has much higher prices than Spain.

If you are renting a car you might want to have a look at a big supermarket like Alcampo or Carrefour. I searched the former and they only exist in Barcelona, but there is a Carrefour in Reus: http://www.carrefour.es/hipermercados/guia_hipermercados/reus.html

Try www.alcampo.es for other locations.

This should be relatively cheap and you will be able to stock on anything you want. They might not have heinz beans though... no one else seems to enjoy beans for breakfast in Europe, that I know off!!

Also, even if you don't rent a car, you might want to pop into Reus one day for a visit (modernism etc) and you can stock up there, since there are no resort supermarkets, just regular city centre ones and lots of stores.

edit: There are several SPARS in Salou. I just checked on the net. This is the same brand as in the UK.

edit2: I seem to remenber there are weekly markets in these beach towns, so just with the local tourism office or even the hotel and they should be able to guide you.
    Last edited by pcg2001; 10-05-2008 at 7:01 PM.
    • knightstyle
    • By knightstyle 10th May 08, 6:57 PM
    • 3,722 Posts
    • 1,338 Thanks
    knightstyle
    Yes you can take a safety razor as handluggage on Ryanair and on Flybe, I have done it many times. Also take something for you all to eat (not drink) on the plane. Last time I went to UK I took lots of wallnuts in my handluggage and came back with Horlicks. No problems.
    • pcg2001
    • By pcg2001 10th May 08, 7:05 PM
    • 1,400 Posts
    • 2,205 Thanks
    pcg2001
    If you look at this leaflet: http://www.salou.altanet.org/cgi-bin/generico.pl?pF=infouk.html&pC=0

It says there is a market at Via Roma (so this must be a permanent market), and a weekly market on Mondays morning at Paseo de la Segregaci!.

MERCADOS
    - MERCADO MUNICIPAL Via Roma, 10 977 380 289
    - MERCADO SEMANAL SALOU Paseo de la Segregaci! lunes mañana

Weekly markets in the area: MERCADOS SEMANALES EN LA ZONA
    Monday LUNES Salou, Reus
    Tuesday- MARTES Tarragona, Calafell, Torredembarra
    Wednesday- MIÉRCOLES Cambrils, Valls
    thurs- JUEVES Tarragona, Vila-seca
    friday - VIERNES La Pineda (Setmana Santa hasta octubre), Montblanc, El Vendrell
    saturday- SÁBADO Reus, Valls
    sunday- DOMINGO Bonavista, Hospitalet de l’Inf
    ant

PS: the leaflet aslo has useful information for the tourist in salou.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

731Posts Today

6,352Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @hugorifkind: Arguing that Hitler was a Zionist is like arguing that the slave trade was pro-immigration. Get a grip.

• RT @MoneySavingExp: Morning! In this week's email: Loads of ways to save inc. Urgent Sky £30/mth, M&S 50%, £36off Tesco & Hotpoint wins: ht?

• RT @GMB: Fancy coming on GMB to learn how to save loads on your car insurance with @MartinSLewis? Find out more: https://t.co/B9vQfOliPA

• Follow Martin