IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Correct paint for timber decking
Views: 117,508
# 1
George&Ade
Old 27-04-2008, 4:49 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Correct paint for timber decking

Hi.
The paint weve used on our timber decking has started to wear away and flake off.
We used Ronseal decking paint.
Should we have treated it first before painting,and would it be best to maybe pressure wash all of the paint off and start again?
We only did it last year.
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
Poppycat
Old 27-04-2008, 4:55 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

I dont know about decking paint although I have seen it I just used decking oil last year. I jet washed the decking down and scrubbed any mould with strong bleach let dry and applied 2 coats of decking oil
The Following User Says Thank You to Poppycat For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
George&Ade
Old 27-04-2008, 7:51 PM
MoneySaving Convert

i think maybe we should have treated ours first.
It certainly looks a real mess now
# 4
nickj
Old 27-04-2008, 8:21 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

decking is pretreated with preservatives , you can use a decking paint
try and remove all the previous coats probably a jpressure washer would be your best bet
# 5
babyangel10
Old 27-04-2008, 9:06 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Hi, I used Cuprinol Total Garden Wood Treatment on my decking and have a similar problem to you.

Info off the tin as follows:

Quote:
Cuprinol Total Garden Wood Treatment has a triple action formulation that works in three ways. Active ingredients penetrate into the timber to protect the wood against rot, decay and fungal growth. Water repellent waxes and resins help waterproof the wood against rain penetration. The rich woodshade colours contain long lasting pigments and UV filters which ensure they last up to five years
Well, it's not even a year yet and already there are patches where the paint has come off. It was applied as per instructions, to new timber decking but where the kids and the dog have been it is flaking off. Now with it being a 'total treatment' that supposedly penetrates into the timber you'd have thought that any top coat flaking wouldn't show so much due to the penetration of the stuff, but it sure does and looks cr4p now.

I didn't pay £20 odd a tin to have to recoat it all less than a year later, so I'm going to email Cuprinol to see what they have to say. I suggest George&Ade that you do the same with your Ronseal stuff (although I think that they are the same company?)

Why should you have to go to the trouble of removing it and redoing it, or even just touching up the bald bits?!

I'll let you know how I get on with my email if you like

# 6
Pretani
Old 16-02-2009, 4:05 PM

George&Ade, It wouldn't matter if you had pretreated the timber first. I used Ronseal decking oil on my decking and pretreated it with Ronseal Decking Cleaner. Within a year the colour was pealing off, total waste off money. Now I have to remove the Ronseal colour, somehow, and damned if i'm going to use Ronseal cleaner again.

Anyone know what else I could use to get rid off the remaining colour?

I'm thinking about using light coloured Creosote.
# 7
MX5huggy
Old 16-02-2009, 4:53 PM

Creosote has been illegal for DIY purchase and use since 2003.
# 8
savemoney
Old 16-02-2009, 5:44 PM

You can get creosote substitute but I think decking stain is better than the oil
# 9
will-he-payitoff
Old 16-02-2009, 8:21 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I used wickes decking stain and not had any probs, needs redoing about every 2 years.
# 10
mitchb
Old 16-02-2009, 8:50 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I used Ronseal decking paint 2 years ago and after the first winter it was all flaky \ patchy and peeling off. I emailed ronseal via the link on their website and sent the remaining paint for testing.

They advised the paint was fine but would supply enough equipment for me to clean and repaint at no cost. They sent 20 litres of deck cleaner and 3 tins of paint. Unfortunatly after this winter the same is happening and it is all flaky and peeling off.

I wont bother emailing again and will not be repainting, i will try a cresote substitute
# 11
kb1977
Old 17-02-2009, 10:44 AM
MoneySaving Convert

I had EXACTLY the same problem two years ago, used Ronseal decking stain for decking - cost over £50 for 2 tubs, and that winter the snow took the stain off in great patches. So last summer I pressure washed it off (easily came off) and used Wilkos shed and fence stain/timber care which was about £7 for one big tub which covered it all! - better colour and finish and also in February the water is still beading on the decking - can't believe the quality!! My Dad told me to use that in the first place, I should have listened.
# 12
jockster211
Old 17-02-2009, 11:56 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Hi All,

for any paint or stain to 'bond' to the timber it should generally be as dry as possible with no rain for 3-4 days beforehand. Also depends if the deck faces northerly then it may take a little longer to dry out, and even morning dew can stop paint or stain bonding properly. After application it needs to be dry for 2-3 days. The biggest challenge for us Brits is getting a week of dry weather .

I do a lot of decks and I always let the timber season (6-12months), then clean/treat in warm dry weather . I've added a link to the stuff I use (never had a problem with it) which is more of a treatment stain than a paint. It ain't cheap, but is considered the Rols-Royce of timber treatment products.

http://www.owatrol.uk.com/index.html

Jockster
Nothing is easy........'til you find out how!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jockster211 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
anewpensioner
Old 22-02-2009, 11:26 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Thanks for that link Jockster. My decking is rather aged now and I was considering renewing most of it, but a friend in the USA said he paints his decking about once every six years and it looks good for that period of time. I'm talking about the rails and balustrade because the actual planks that the grandkids play on I think would get rather heavy wear and no amount of painting would protect it or make it stay looking good! I did once see a decking in the States that looked as if it was painted in plastic!!! I was assured that it was wood with a protective treatment - I suppose really we could go on forever trying to get the ultimate decking treatment.
# 14
susi
Old 20-03-2009, 6:50 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Has anayone any updated info on treating decking???? I had my decking done last year and didnt get around to doing anything with it, I have looked at various products but not sure what to use
# 15
anewpensioner
Old 26-03-2009, 9:20 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

I have just completed my teak furniture using OWATROL Textrol as recommended in a previous post and in my opinion it is the best product I have ever used. The furniture came up looking as new. I jetwashed it first. A tip maybe is to use a mohair application pad - not the smooth variant, instead of a brush ( I used the one from a previous wasted tin of Ronseal), it spread the oil great and was completed in super fast time especially the slatted chairs! Now going to attempt the decking with Net-trol to clean and Textrol to protect. If you need advice I found the guys at Igoe International (use the link above) to be extremely helpful.
# 16
TinTin_57
Old 26-03-2009, 9:26 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Interesting thread. I used Ronseal Decking paint last year on our brand new decking and like others here I haven't been impressed at how it's started to wear away. Only last week while B&Q had their 10% off promotion we bought some Cuprinol to try but looking on this thread i may just have exactly the same issues come next year as with the Ronseal!
# 17
savemoney
Old 26-03-2009, 9:42 AM

I used Wilkinsons decking oil and its lasted about 18 months it doesn't get a lot of wear and tear on the decking. I am looking for a product that has more stain but yet retains a light look and will last

I did clean decking with a power washer than scrubbed any green bits with bleach
# 18
vazzavazza
Old 26-03-2009, 10:24 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I would get it professionally finished, i work in the paint industry and wash my hands of any product like cuprinol/ronseal etc. They can only last a couple of years max in this weather. a professional exterior waterbased coating will last up to ten years and look great.

If you are doing it yourself, use a stain before a clear varnish as it will improve UV stability. Still not ideal though.
# 19
vazzavazza
Old 26-03-2009, 10:28 PM
MoneySaving Convert

As far as brush-on products go, Sickens is the industry leader and you can get it from the Crown dealers. It's probably the best thing you can buy outside of the trade.
# 20
Robertf
Old 26-03-2009, 11:01 PM
MoneySaving Convert

linseed oil does a decent job but you need to recoat it every year. Lots less work than painting though, you can just wipe it on with a rag.