Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Essential Money > Credit Cards > flybe free flights offer - any luck anyone? (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
flybe free flights offer - any luck anyone?
Views: 16,917
# 1
mac.d
Old 16-04-2008, 6:49 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default flybe free flights offer - any luck anyone?

Has anyone who signed up for a flybe credit card to take advantage of the free flight offer had any luck in getting their voucher and claiming their flight?

I saw forestGump post in another thread that to do so you might have to phone a premium number that will cost at least £1 a minute and is possibly a bit of a money making scam for flybe.

Anyone know for definite?

Also, on a related note, if this is the case and I want to just cancel my flybe credit card, do I have to contact them or can I just cut it up and forget about it?

Last edited by mac.d; 16-04-2008 at 6:51 PM. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
galileo
Old 17-04-2008, 10:44 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I have sent back my tear off slip attached to my first statement about 3 weeks ago. I chased them by e-mail earlier this week and they replied saying my voucher would arrive next week. Will wait and see.

On your other point, it's important you actually contact the card provider and cancel your account in conjunction with destroying your card. Otherwise the account remains open on your credit file...
# 3
galileo
Old 18-04-2008, 10:20 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Just to update this thread I have received this morning my free flight voucher. It took about 3 weeks to arrive from the time when you send back the tear off slip. The e-mail address to use if you want to chase progress on your flight is 'Rewards4all@flybe.com'.

No premium number to phone, but still a dreaded 0871 number!

Good luck!
# 4
mac.d
Old 19-04-2008, 11:01 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Thanks galileo. I'm going away in just over a month and since I've been waiting nearly two months to book the flight, I just went ahead and did so on Thursday night, and my 'voucher' has now arrived... ah well, such is life! You've apparently got a year to use it anyway, so I may try it for a wee break later in the year. Good luck with claiming your flight.
# 5
JoseChungsDoomsday
Old 20-04-2008, 3:52 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I got my voucher in about 2 weeks, mind you you still have to give 2 weeks notice before you can take a flight...
# 6
forestGump
Old 19-06-2008, 7:32 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default stiil no flight!

I have at long last got free flight voucher but have not managed to book a flight yet as I have been on hold for over twenty minutes on several occasions - call apparently cost, 10p a minute!! I could have booked one in the time it has taken - has anyone actually managed to book a flight yet??

Last edited by forestGump; 20-06-2008 at 4:40 PM.
# 7
forestGump
Old 19-06-2008, 7:38 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Have you managed to actually book a flight though? The number is either engaged or I am left on hold for over 15 minutes so far!!!!
# 8
wispa
Old 07-07-2008, 7:03 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Thumbs down Flybe credit card free flight offer

I phoned on the 0871 number to book a flight on the day the winter flights were released. I was put on hold for over 1 hour and then told there were no flights available on the date I wanted in October, nor on days either side of that. I was however told I could book and pay for flight on the date I wanted!! I was also told that free flights were only available up to a certain price but they wouldn't tell me what that was - Where in the promotional information for the credit card did it say that the free flight offered was only available on cetain flights or even limited availabilty?? - in my opinion the free flights are a con.

Last edited by wispa; 07-07-2008 at 7:48 PM. Reason: revision
# 9
littlemissgem
Old 04-02-2009, 10:11 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default NOT a con.

This is not a con. There are 10 seats on every flybe flight put aside for the free flights. You just need to book one of these 10 seats. These must have already been taken for the flight you wanted. There are many people who have used their free flights.
# 10
Hunda
Old 21-02-2009, 8:05 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Of course its a con. Have spent enough on credit card for 2 free flights. Tried to book a return trip to Shetland for 2 using the points. Got 1 date in April and 1 date in May between now and then for choice of flights - others completely full on every flight and every day! I don't think so - flybe are a bunch of con merchants. Oh and the free voucher - can't use it on the routes to the scottish islands - another con not explained in the small print.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hunda For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
Old 24-07-2009, 11:52 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Flybe card

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunda View Post
of course its a con. Have spent enough on credit card for 2 free flights. Tried to book a return trip to shetland for 2 using the points. Got 1 date in april and 1 date in may between now and then for choice of flights - others completely full on every flight and every day! I don't think so - flybe are a bunch of con merchants. Oh and the free voucher - can't use it on the routes to the scottish islands - another con not explained in the small print.
flybe...isle of man to liverpool 82.28+16 pts...isle of man to liverpool 75.96 no pts same flights same day same time
The Following User Says Thank You to 3352 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
hoyles10
Old 24-07-2009, 12:27 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Is there an alternate number for them on the Saynoto8070 website?
# 13
brucebennett
Old 19-02-2010, 2:06 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemissgem View Post
This is not a con. There are 10 seats on every flybe flight put aside for the free flights. You just need to book one of these 10 seats. These must have already been taken for the flight you wanted. There are many people who have used their free flights.
Nah!

I obtained a Flybe Credit card they offered a free flight and points for free flights.

1: When trying for the free flight is was not possible to get one at a reasonable date or time, OK, so I will buy heavily on my card, which , to date, gave me 120 points.

Enough for several trips.

But, I couldn't even get a return flight from Southampton to Leeds.

The system said "no seats available"

As I had used the flight as a paying passenger several times before and never seen the flights full, I went in as a paying passenger and on this particular date there were 21 seats available, then I thought that perhaps, they were reserved although not taken, so I waited until 3 hours before takeoff, and still the same result, so I assume it is a scam and they will not honour the promise made.

Tell everyone to not accept the Flybe card on the basis of free flights, it will not happen
# 14
tinaob7
Old 26-05-2010, 10:57 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

I activated my card today but based on what i've said I think I may just cancel it!
# 15
rodneybates
Old 08-11-2010, 4:10 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Never, never fall for the Flybe Con!

If you are thinking of falling for the free flight voucher from Flybe - think again. To get your free flight you will have to open a new credit card with Creation - the credit card company behind the deal.

But if you still think you'll get a ticket to anywhere interesting like sunny shores or ski-ing resorts then forget it. Today I received this email from Flybe that explains just how limited this offer is:
[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/rodney.bates.FIRSTCALL/Local%20Settings/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image001.gif[/IMG]

Important changes to your Rewards4all account
[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/rodney.bates.FIRSTCALL/Local%20Settings/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image001.gif[/IMG]
Over the past three years well over a million of our loyal passengers have signed up for Rewards4all, the UKs most generous low cost Frequent Flyer scheme. In that time tens of thousands of passengers have redeemed points for flights as well as access to our 11 Executive Lounges across the UK.

We work hard to ensure all our members are able to benefit from the scheme. However, over the past few months we have become increasingly aware that the heavy demand for flight redemptions on what is actually just a small number of the routes Flybe operates is putting huge pressure on some of our most popular sea and sun routes such as those to Spain and Portugal. As our network evolves over the next few years this situation is unlikely to change.

We have also listened to your requests as frequent flyers to be advised of late availability for redemption bookings to make it even easier for you to enjoy the benefits of the programme.

So in keeping the scheme as simple to use as possible, we will be making the following changes to the scheme rules with effect from 31 March 2011:
  • No seats will be available for redemption on any flight to Spain, Portugal or Croatia. However, there remains limited availability over the upcoming winter period up to March 31st, 2011.
  • Seats will be available to all other Flybe destinations with almost three quarters of a million new seats now available for redemption flights from April. However, again due to high demand, availability during school holidays, around major sporting events and on routes we operate only at weekends, will still be extremely limited.
  • Redemption flights will be made available for booking approximately 1 month after the normal schedule is available for purchase on Flybe.com website.
  • To help you make the most of your well-earned points and maximise the opportunity to redeem your points to a destination of choice, we will be sending you a regular email newsletter that will give you the best tips and latest value for money offers.
The millions of seats available for redemption will still give you an extensive choice of highly attractive UK and European city break destinations to enjoy and we look forward to working with you to help you make the most of your points - and to welcoming you on board again soon!

I other words - it's ticket to nowhere and when no one wants to go.
BEWARE.
# 16
leightong
Old 18-11-2010, 2:27 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default FLYBE - modern day highwaymen?

I also have a free flight voucher for myself and a 'partner'. I have to date attempted to call the number stated on it 6 times. The longest hold time was 43 minutes - a valiant effort I thnk you'll agree.

Then without warning I received a letter stating that, should I ever get through on the 0870 number, I can't go anywhere nice as they're not honouring the flights that the guy in the airport who pushed me the credit card said they would.

I'm steering clear of FLYBE from now on - I've had several bad experiences with them so, after an 8 year relationship, its off to the divorce courts. I'm cuddling up to Eastern Airways - I hope they treat me better....
# 17
PNPSUKNET
Old 18-11-2010, 5:14 PM
PPR
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

I think its worth saving for the airport lounge about it
# 18
BugsyBrowne
Old 18-11-2010, 5:35 PM
PPR
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNPSUKNET View Post
I think its worth saving for the airport lounge about it
Yeah that would look good in the airport lounge getting ready to get on a flybe flight.

I have a flybe card and they can shove their free ticket up their ar*e...
# 19
Grumpy_Old_Duffer
Old 22-11-2010, 9:46 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by star-fire View Post
I have a flybe card and they can shove their free ticket up their ar*e...
Ditto ..... only took it out after receiving Martins recent weekly email, and because we always holiday in Portugal and/or Spain.
It has taken about 4,500,000,000 (4.5 billion) years for the Earth to form as it is now .........
and it'll only take about another 100 years for mankind to really **** it up!!!!
# 20
indicara
Old 24-11-2010, 2:37 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Flybe "free" flights: Flyer Beware!

Recently I was swept along on a tide of enthusiasm for Flybe's credit card "free" flight offer.
It took me over 3 hours on the telephone to secure my two "free" flights, which were not on the days that I wanted them but hey....they were free?
Because of the time taken waiting on their 0850 telephone number and because of the general lack of availability I wrote to Flybe customer services to comment on the waiting and lack of availablity for "free" flights. The response was the call centre were so busy because of the Icelandic ash cloud and flights were released regularly but they couldn't tell me which flights, on what dates or in fact anything useful at all.
Eventually I secured my two "free" flights and paid the airport taxes then and there. Overall a saving of 90.00 = RESULT!
I asked about tickets and was told to check my Flybe account about a week before departure. Needless to say my Flybe account lay bare. I again contacted Flybe and was told to "just turn up" therefore, unwittingly and having not thought this through properly I lay myself open for the bag charges. As I could not check in online I had to pay full whack at the airport x 2 bags = 120.00.
Therefore a consequent loss on the scheduled airfare of 30.00
When I pointed out to their staff member that had I been given the opportunity of checking in online I would have done so I was advised to refer to their TERMS & CONDITIONS.
Thank you Flybe for being utterley unhelpful and being completely customer unfriendly.
So, by all means take advantage of Flybe's generosity but beware because there is no such thing as a "free" Flybe flight.