IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
10ft Trampoline and Enclosure 90
Closed Thread
Views: 52,115
# 1
MSE Andrea
Old 19-11-2007, 6:12 PM
Forum Editorial Liaison
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Default 10ft Trampoline and Enclosure 90

Written 8 April 2008

What's the deal?

TJHughes is offering a 10 foot trampoline including enclosure for the bargain price of £89.99 in store. It costs an extra £15 for delivery if you don't live near a store or would rather have it delivered direct to your door, making it £104.99 if you order online.

Trampolines can cost the earth, so this is a great price.

Find your nearest store

TJHughes stores are nationwide but they aren't located in all major cities. If you don't know where your nearest store is then you can use the TJHughes store finder to find it.

Grab one quick

As the weekly email now goes to almost two million people it's likely the trampoline could run out quickly. Plus, it's also being advertised on television so if you're going to want one then it's worth grabbing it quickly.

This top deal was originally included in another thread. This post has been inserted above it to provide a full explanation and how-to. Many thanks to SnowWhiterThanWhite for the top spot.

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Follow the Forum on Twitter and Pinterest
Join the MSE Forum
New forum user? Watch our New to the Forum? Youtube guide
Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail
Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
Point out a rate/product change
Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com

Last edited by Former MSE Dan; 08-04-2008 at 7:04 PM.
# 2
SnowWhiterThanWhite
Old 24-03-2008, 8:01 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default 10ft Trampoline and Enclosure 90

Or.......... 89.99 for 10 ft & enclosure
http://www.tjhughes.co.uk/Toys/Outdoor_Toys/83168699999
"Hope for the Best
Prepare for the worst"
# 3
cjmumto2
Old 10-04-2008, 10:23 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

OMG I just bought it and it doesnt mention the make so I hope it is good as I really cant afford it but at this price it was well worth getting. Will have to follow the meals for a fiver thread for the next few months I think.
# 4
0dd8a11
Old 10-04-2008, 12:59 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Exclamation Don't be fooled by cheap trampolines!

In the world of trampolines if it's cheap then it is usually due to it being cheap - by this I mean it WILL rust within 12 months, it WILL NOT be as strong as more expensive trampolines, it WILL NOT be as safe as more expensive trampolines.

If you went to John Lewis they would be selling just the 10ft trampoline not including the netting for over 5 times the price - they are simply not the same things.

What price you should be paying for a decent / safe trampoline

10ft - £500
12ft - £600
14ft - £700

With this you would get a frame that would take teenage / adult weights (Frames under £200 will break at the leg welds)

With this you will get longer springs and more springs - trampolines that can take the heavier weights obviously require stronger and more springs - if your cut price trampoline has short springs or have half as many as a proper trampoline bells should start ringing!

Safety - around every trampoline sold in the Uk are foam filled pads - these are called safety pads, however if you were to look at the pads before you purchased a trampoline again you will see why the price is what is quoted on the ticket, they are designed to safe you child's life if they impact the sold metal frame or springs. Walk in to TJ Hughes or B&Q (Only picked out as they are so widely available) and look at the pads, lay a single layer on the floor and punch it with your fist, if your hand is broken then chances are the child's fall will not be fatal, if you are screaming in the shop run out quick and get to an A&E department.

"...But the trampoline comes with a safety net", true but this will not last very long, take a look at the picture, look in the box, it is suspended by thin elastic from metal poles, think of it like an air bag to be used once if things go wrong. The elastic will break if fallen or bounced against, preventing injury for that occasion only. You would need to replace the elastic then. However kids prefer to think of it as a new toy to throw themselves against so usually breaks within the first week. It's a false economy to get a trampoline with net, you are better put the extra money from the net to increasing the size of the trampoline.

Only one at a time on a trampoline - it is very important that only one person at a time is allowed on the trampoline. Forgetting the fact that the cheap trampolines will not support the weight (they will twist and break / fracture the leg welds) the users will be pulled to the centre of the trampoline pad and bang heads together, plus if the second user lands while the first is still on the mat the elastic limit of the trampoline will have been reached and the user could break their legs / ankles as there is no more give in the springs.

Also note that if your child is good at trampolining they will bounce with their legs together, not spread apart, this doubles their weight instantly. A lightweight gymnasts could break most garden trampolines within minutes. Also round trampolines are useless for gymnastics you will need a rectangular trampoline, to give the same bounce required for gymnastic movements.

Many companies have jumped on (excuse the pun) the trampoline band wagon trying to offer cheaper prices but there is a limit to quality over price, and with something that could be as dangerous as a trampoline that line should not have been crossed. It has been now for the last 3-4 years and as such we have seen many recalls from most household names including TP Toys, B&Q, Plum Products, Hedstrom etc.

If in doubt ask how many and the length of the springs to give you an indication of the strength of the trampoline.
10ft should have 72 x 7 inch (18cm) springs
12ft should have 80 x 8.5 inch (22cm) springs
14ft should have 96 x 8.5 inch (22cm) springs

Any less that this then you will know corners have been cut.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to 0dd8a11 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
Alias_Omega
Old 10-04-2008, 1:55 PM

looks good too me...

if it breaks, then take it back..
# 6
rag31
Old 10-04-2008, 2:42 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Oh please. We bought a 'cheap' trampoline from argos 3.5 years ago and it is still going strong with almost daily use by 4 children including a 9.5 stone one. (not to mention quite a few bounces by us adults!)

I know quite a few people with 'cheap' trampolines who have had them for years with no problems, and they must have been tested and be fit for purpose, plus they have a kite mark.

The only reason anyone would say you have to have an expensive trampoline is a)they are selling one or b)they have been fooled into buying one.

I'm putting my order in as we want a bigger one! So thanks MSE.

Beck
# 7
rag31
Old 10-04-2008, 2:47 PM
MoneySaving Convert

And, that includes a 9.5stone 'gymnast' who is practising the routines she does at school and in trampoline club. Rather than breaking in minutes under the weight it has been fine.

I think this is a little scaremongering.

Beck
# 8
rippedoff3
Old 10-04-2008, 2:52 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

:confused:

wow was thinking of getting a cheap one, cant pay the John Lewis prices!

Can anyone else say how long theirs has lasted, i am not sure whther to get one now
# 9
Alias_Omega
Old 10-04-2008, 3:02 PM

i was looking at paying 44 for one from B&Q that was make for 1 child, this is ideal as its large enough, and it wont be abused by drunken adults, and if it is, and they damage it or fall off..

who cares, buy another one..
# 10
cjmumto2
Old 11-04-2008, 4:06 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I just found another cheap website and the trampolines here have the required amount of springs as the 2nd poster recommended. Worth a look. I have emailed TG Hughes and just awaiting reply about the amount of springs.

The mysmartbuy website has a 5 year rust warranty too.

http://www.mysmartbuy.co.uk/products...ded/4224062602

Will keep you updated as to what mine looks like when it arrives.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cjmumto2 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
cjmumto2
Old 14-04-2008, 9:34 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

It arrived today and I havent unpacked it yet but it is made by Tri ang toys and the cover is included too.
# 12
franklally
Old 14-04-2008, 10:51 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Smile 12ft trampoline and enclosure 109 from Woolworths

http://www.woolworths.co.uk/web/jsp/...cat=cat1005469

I wanted one slightly bigger so I ordered a 12ft trampoline and enclosure for 109 from Woolworths (thanks O K Sauce ) - at this price it was cheaper than getting a replacement enclosure for my old trampoline.
# 13
Shez
Old 14-04-2008, 11:14 AM

I bought the 8ft woolworths trampoline & enclosure on offer at the moment for 89 (I only have a small garden) - and I am very happy with it - so are the kids!!
# 14
bugbabe
Old 14-04-2008, 11:34 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

i went to look at the one in tj huges but didnt buy it as i thought the legs looked a bit thin ,ive had one for a few years now from toyrus and the pipe legs were a lot thicker
# 15
loopylass
Old 14-04-2008, 3:34 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by franklally View Post
http://www.woolworths.co.uk/web/jsp/...cat=cat1005469

I wanted one slightly bigger so I ordered a 12ft trampoline and enclosure for 109 from Woolworths (thanks O K Sauce ) - at this price it was cheaper than getting a replacement enclosure for my old trampoline.
Hi
I looked on the woolworths site and the cheapest 12ft trampoline with enclosure is 150 did you use a discount code to get it at 109 as i would love one this size for my children
Thanks
# 16
RustyFlange
Old 14-04-2008, 3:45 PM

Send a message via MSN to RustyFlange

Quote:
Originally Posted by loopylass View Post
Hi
I looked on the woolworths site and the cheapest 12ft trampoline with enclosure is 150 did you use a discount code to get it at 109 as i would love one this size for my children
Thanks
When you add the trampoline and enclosure into your basket the price automatically changes to 54.99 for each item, therefore when you checkout the total price including free delivery is 109.98

Hope this helps you.
Raising kids is like being held hostage by midget terrorists
The Following User Says Thank You to RustyFlange For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
spaggy
Old 14-04-2008, 10:44 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyFlange View Post
When you add the trampoline and enclosure into your basket the price automatically changes to 54.99 for each item, therefore when you checkout the total price including free delivery is 109.98

Hope this helps you.
Don't forget quidco too, although my order yesterday does not seem to have tracked as yet?!
# 18
stmidwife
Old 14-04-2008, 10:51 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

We have one of the TJ Hughes one's and it is fab! Kids go on it daily (Weather permitting!) and it regularly gets moved around the garden. It's a great size and we are really pleased with it.

# 19
Smag
Old 15-04-2008, 12:00 PM
MoneySaving Convert

http://viewer.zmags.com/showmag.php?...d=1386#/page0/

Netto are selling them for 79.99 including enclosure and rain cover from 17th April

We bought one from Argos a few weeks ago when on offer with free enclosure and it is very well built and very sturdy. I wouldn't allow my kids on anything else!

Have Fun Bouncing!
The Following User Says Thank You to Smag For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
pesky2
Old 15-04-2008, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smag View Post
http://viewer.zmags.com/showmag.php?...d=1386#/page0/

Netto are selling them for 79.99 including enclosure and rain cover from 17th April

We bought one from Argos a few weeks ago when on offer with free enclosure and it is very well built and very sturdy. I wouldn't allow my kids on anything else!

Have Fun Bouncing!
You beat me to it, was just going to post as forgot yesterday
Closed Thread