Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Old Style MoneySaving > Scaling cake recipes up and down (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Scaling cake recipes up and down
Views: 11,653
# 1
stressedoutmumof1
Old 06-04-2008, 7:10 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default Scaling cake recipes up and down

OK, I have searched but couldn't come up with anything.

I need to make a cake for my in-laws Pearl Wedding Anniversary. I've found the cake I want to make. 2 tiers; 1 is lemon and the other is chocolate.

Right my question is this...... the recipe for the lemon cake is for a 9 inch tin, but I want to scale it down to a 6 inch tin, and the chocolate cake is for a 12 inch tin and I want to scale it down to an 8 inch tin. My theory is cutting down the ingredients by a third and watching it closely whilst cooking :confused: Does this sound like it my work? If not, any ideas/tips/conversion sites readily welcomed.

Thank you domestic goddesses
Squares knitted for my throw ~ 21 (only 69 to go )
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
thriftlady
Old 06-04-2008, 7:26 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

I think that might work

I'd be inclined to make the whole amount of mixtures up and pour some into your desired cake tins and the rest in other tins (or maybe one big tin and make a chocolate-lemon marble cake?) then eat the extra yourself -or freeze it. That's obviously the most expensive route -but you can't have to much cake can you
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thriftlady For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
Rikki
Old 06-04-2008, 8:28 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftlady View Post
I think that might work

I'd be inclined to make the whole amount of mixtures up and pour some into your desired cake tins and the rest in other tins (or maybe one big tin and make a chocolate-lemon marble cake?) then eat the extra yourself -or freeze it. That's obviously the most expensive route -but you can't have to much cake can you
What a fab idea. You get to sample the cakes.
2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is 4 .............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

.................................................. ....................TCNC member No: 00008
NPFM 21
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rikki For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
stressedoutmumof1
Old 06-04-2008, 9:05 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Thanks - I'll try that I'll post some piccies when they're made (next week).
The Following User Says Thank You to stressedoutmumof1 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
stressedoutmumof1
Old 17-04-2008, 7:20 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Well today is the day I am making the cakes I'm thinking of reducing the cooking time by a third - but keeping a close eye Hope that works. I will be decorating them tomorrow, and I'll be assembling them on Saturday, will post some piccies when they are complete.
# 6
killmymortgage
Old 17-04-2008, 7:31 AM
MoneySaving Convert

OK stressed out mum of one.

This is a Maths question. This does not mean Panic!

We will work out the volume of cake mixture in the 9 inch (21.5cm) tin.

The risky bit is estimating how deep the cake would have been in the 21.5cm tin. I'm going to assume that it is approximately 5cm deep.

So the volume of the cake mixture in the 21.5cm tin is
The area of the base (the circle where you put your greaseproof paper) x by the height of the cake.

e.g Area of the base = 3.142 x (10.75x10.75)
"Treat a man as he appears to be and you make him worse. But treat a man as if he were what he potentially could be, and you make him what he should be." - Goethe
The Following User Says Thank You to killmymortgage For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
killmymortgage
Old 17-04-2008, 7:43 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Default continued

area of base = 3.142 x (10.75 x10.75)
[FONT='Calibri','sans-serif'][/FONT] = 3.142 x115.5
=363.1

if the cake is 5cm high (assumption) then the volume of cake mixture in the 9 inch tin is

363.1 x 5 = 1815.5 cm3 of cake mixture in the 9 inch tin

Now for the 6 inch (15cm) tin.
The base area = 3.142 x (7.5x7.5)
=176.7cm2

Assuming the height of the cake is still 5cm.
The volume of mix in a 6inch tin will be
= 176.7 x5
= 882.5 cm3

So a 9inch tin takes a cake mix of volume 1815.5cm3

A 6 inch tin takes a cake mix of volume 882.5cm3

So APPROXIMATELY a 6 inch cake tin will take half the mixture of a 9 inch cake tin. So you can halve the recipe.

Are you confused? Trust me it is correct. I have done this before on an Open university maths course. If you go down cake tin sizes it does not work like you think. Going from 9inches to 6inches will half the amount of cake mixture you need.

If you don't believe me go to the tap, get a jug of water and fill some cake tins and see how much liquid they will hold. You may be in for a suprise.
You should find the 9 inch cake tin holds twice as much water as the 6inch cake tin.

I hope this helps you sort out your dilemma.

Apologies to mathmeticians. I'm not one really and I couldn't find all the symbols on the chat room to put in the 'correct' maths .
"Treat a man as he appears to be and you make him worse. But treat a man as if he were what he potentially could be, and you make him what he should be." - Goethe
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to killmymortgage For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
thriftlady
Old 17-04-2008, 7:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by killmymortgage View Post

Apologies to mathmeticians. I'm not one really and I couldn't find all the symbols on the chat room to put in the 'correct' maths .
Go to character map Click start, then all programmes, then accessories (the top one) and character map is at the bottom. It has all those mathematical symbols plus loads of accents, Greek letters, arabic etc -it even has one of these ۞
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to thriftlady For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
stressedoutmumof1
Old 17-04-2008, 8:53 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

OK, so now I'm confused :confused: Do I halve the recipe or do I reduce it by a third :confused: I think I'm going to try out the water and see
# 10
killmymortgage
Old 17-04-2008, 9:37 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Halve the original cake recipe

ok stressed mum of one. I'm definitely not a maths teacher!

9 inch tin takes 1815 cm3 mixture

6 inch tin takes 882cm3 of mixture ( twice this amount is 1764 cm3)

So the nine inch tin take approximately twice as much mixture as the 6 inch tin.

So if your recipe is for the nine inch tin, halve the ingredients list to make the mixture for the 6 inch tin.

Try the water trick too. It will put your mind at rest.

Happy cooking
The Following User Says Thank You to killmymortgage For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
Penelope Penguin
Old 17-04-2008, 9:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stressedoutmumof1 View Post
OK, so now I'm confused :confused: Do I halve the recipe or do I reduce it by a third :confused: I think I'm going to try out the water and see

Quote:
Right my question is this...... the recipe for the lemon cake is for a 9 inch tin round or square?, but I want to scale it down to a 6 inch tin round or square?, and the chocolate cake is for a 12 inch tin again? and I want to scale it down to an 8 inch tin ?????. My theory is cutting down the ingredients by a third and watching it closely whilst cooking :confused: Does this sound like it my work? If not, any ideas/tips/conversion sites readily welcomed.
Let me know thw above and I'll do the maths for you

Penny. x
Life is too short to clean behind the fridge
The Following User Says Thank You to Penelope Penguin For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
purpleivy
Old 17-04-2008, 9:41 AM

I do it like killmymortgage too, but for flat items like tarts. When doing wedding cakes, you need to take into consideration the depth of the cakes as well to get the proportions right, but for this case I don't think that will matter,
"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
200 per month budget Trying not to waste food!
The Following User Says Thank You to purpleivy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
purpleivy
Old 17-04-2008, 9:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penelope Penguin View Post
Let me know thw above and I'll do the maths for you

Penny. x

My good housekeeping book recommends that a 7" square cake is equal to 8" round, 8" square/9" round etc. obviously you'd just get a slightly shallower cake if you use the square rather than the round.

editing... and can we see a pic when it's done please!
"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
200 per month budget Trying not to waste food!
The Following User Says Thank You to purpleivy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
stressedoutmumof1
Old 17-04-2008, 11:24 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Thanks for all the responses

Penny - they are all round tins - just about to start
# 15
Penelope Penguin
Old 17-04-2008, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stressedoutmumof1 View Post
Thanks for all the responses

Penny - they are all round tins - just about to start
OK, the area of each smaller tin is 45% the area of the larger, so using half the mixture should give approximately the same depth cake.

Does that make sense :confused: Penny. x
Life is too short to clean behind the fridge
The Following User Says Thank You to Penelope Penguin For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
stressedoutmumof1
Old 17-04-2008, 2:12 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Right, the first cake is out of the oven That is the 6" lemon cake. The 8" chocolate cake has just gone in. I halved the ingredients and it appears to have come out just fine. Thank you to everyone for your advice.

Will take pictures on Saturday when they are all assembled.

Now I just need to go and frost about 30 rose petals
# 17
dannahaz
Old 17-04-2008, 3:27 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Hi, just came across this thread and realise it's too late... but wanted to post anyway in case it helps someone in the future.

The maths volumes theory is correct, but there was one assumption that was not quite correct. The height dimension should be how far up the tin the mixture is meant to go, not the height of the tin, nor the height of the finished cake. I think 5cm is a bit too high for sponge cake mixes, I would think 2.5cm is more accurate.

In fruit cake terms, a 6" round mixture is HALF of an 8" round mixture. I would expect it to be broadly similary with sponge cakes.

An 8 inch round is the same as a 7 inch square. It's not that the mixture is shallower, it's just that a square tin has corners so there is more to fill IYSMIM.
The Following User Says Thank You to dannahaz For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
stressedoutmumof1
Old 22-04-2008, 10:17 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Just to update - halving the mixture was definately the way to go - they came out perfect! MIL was so impressed she cried She said it was better than her original cake. DH forgot to bring the camera so I haven't got a photo But MIL did so I'm trying to get a copy off her.

Thank you to everyone for your help
The Following User Says Thank You to stressedoutmumof1 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
Straussy99
Old 25-07-2008, 3:02 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Just read this can you tell me

Hi there I just read the thread about scaling down cake recipes and wondered as you had such good results can I check...
I am making two butter cakes the first is 8inch deep round and the second will be 5inch deep round so I am going to take the advice and half the recipe for the smaller one as it works well 9inch / 6inch so I presume that is right??
How much did you cut the cooking time by - the large is supposed to be 45 - 50 mins so what should I do the small one for?

Would be very grateful of your experience!

Thanks
# 20
stressedoutmumof1
Old 08-08-2008, 10:47 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Realise I am probably too late... but I reduced cooking time by about a third - but keep a close eye