Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Essential Money > Budgeting & Bank Accounts > How do I trace direct debits? (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
How do I trace direct debits?
Closed Thread
Views: 3,801
# 1
tamtam10000
Old 20-08-2005, 11:53 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Question How do I trace direct debits?

I don't know if this is possible or not:

I am trying to 'streamline' my outgoings by getting rid of any payments I don't need to make (e.g. an internet access subscription from a previous home which I'd never bothered to cancel).

I reckon this could add up to a good £20pcm or so.

HOWEVER, there's several direct debit payments on my account which I'm not sure of the purpose of, and I want to know if I can cancel them or not.

Is there some way I can trace what they're for from the debit ID number? I don't want to cancel payments I might need or end up with a black mark against me for cancelling payments without cancelling the appropriate contract first etc.

Any ideas?
# 2
Bossyboots
Old 20-08-2005, 11:57 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

My direct debits show up with the name of the company they are going to.

Otherwise, I think you might have to go through your paperwork and see if you have bills or anything else that matches up with the id numbers.

You could look back of the past 18 months of your statements and see if any of these are an annual payment.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bossyboots For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
mountainofdebt
Old 20-08-2005, 3:11 PM

Another idea (if you have internet banking) is to look at the list of DDs as this may also give you the policy number/reference of what the payment is for.
2014 Target;
To overpay CC by £1,000.
Overpayment to date : £310

2nd Purse Challenge:
£15.88 saved to date
# 4
homersimpson
Old 20-08-2005, 4:26 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

the fact you don't recognise direct debits suggests you need to tighten up on management of money. if you are to manage money effectively you need to be aware of what money is coming in and exactly where it's going. also check correct amount being taken each month. if you don't check statements start doing so. any wrong payments should stick out like a sore thumb and hit you in the face!
ring up bank and ask for list. the list usually has name of company, when last paid and how much went out of account. also includes cancelled ones & who cancelled it (e.g. customer i.e. you). if not check id number against statements. if still no joy ask bank- they can usually also provide address of company.
suggest you also check whether any standing orders and cancel any ones not required.
# 5
RhiannonB
Old 20-08-2005, 4:30 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Send a message via MSN to RhiannonB
Wink

Some banks willl have a system like the one i work for have a tool called the Direct Debit Originator Tool where we get the originators number type it in and it will give us their address and their phone number. Just phone your bank and ask for details of a direct debit and their contact details and the advisor should be able to get those details for you.
# 6
bonvonnie
Old 20-08-2005, 9:58 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

i went to my Bank (Natwest) and at the Customer Services counter, asked them to print a list of the standing orders and Direct Debits I have open on my account.
The good thing about the list, it showed name, date set-up, and date last payment taken.
The ones I had, which havent been used in a while, I cancelled. not had any problems.
# 7
suniil
Old 20-08-2005, 10:12 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I've noticed a direct debit payment from my account, which i did not authorized. Checked online and saw company name. Went to a branch and they have given 2 pages one stating name/address and other one stating their full details (service provider reference number / customer ref. number etc)

Bank initially declined to refund, but returned back again to branch again with direct debit guarantee detailed in bank website and they immediately agreed to refund.
# 8
Bossyboots
Old 21-08-2005, 6:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhiannonB
Some banks willl have a system like the one i work for have a tool called the Direct Debit Originator Tool where we get the originators number type it in and it will give us their address and their phone number. Just phone your bank and ask for details of a direct debit and their contact details and the advisor should be able to get those details for you.
My bank refused to give me details of one of my DDs over the 'phone which was why I didn't bother suggesting trying the bank. This was some time ago though so it may be they didn't have the systems in place to check at branch level (that shows how long ago it was, that I could telephone the branch!). In the end it turned out he DD was in the name of a parent company, rather than a store as I knew it so it was okay.
# 9
tamtam10000
Old 23-08-2005, 9:33 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Thanks, everyone.

I'm going to try calling my bank for a list as the first step. I do have online banking, but I find it confusing when (as mentioned by Bossyboots) the company name is sometimes a parent company and the payment just has an ID number. For example, I have one payment where the company is just listed as 'Policy Services', which could be any one of several different insurance policies I have!

Homersimpson is completely correct - I do need to tighten up my management, and this exercise is part of it! If I'd been better at that to start with, I'd know what was what on my statement.

I'll let you know what happens with my bank.
# 10
V.Lucky
Old 27-08-2005, 9:38 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Policy Services is a Company name that deals with insurance on mobile phones. Usually through Phones4U.

Is this any help??

What are the others?
# 11
Benuk73
Old 29-08-2005, 2:43 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I was recently told by a bank that, If I Didnt know what a DD was for or who with, to cancel it, and I would soon get a letter from them asking to make an alternative payment
Ben

"Thanks Martin for opening my eyes"

‹( •Ώ• )›
# 12
Jay-Jay
Old 29-08-2005, 2:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benuk73
I was recently told by a bank that, If I Didnt know what a DD was for or who with, to cancel it, and I would soon get a letter from them asking to make an alternative payment
You were given really bad advice. You could be charged for late/missed payment and in some cases once a DD has been cancelled you need to change policy/reference numbers to set up a new DD, meaning manual payments and lots of hassle.

If you ever need to know the originator of a Direct Debit then ask the bank to check for you. As mentioned before they can 'easily' find the OIN number and type it in to the system, producing the originators contact details. They will either phone up for you or give you the details to phone yourself.
Just run, run and keep on running!

# 13
Benuk73
Old 29-08-2005, 10:41 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay-Jay
You were given really bad advice.
Yes I know

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay-Jay
You could be charged for late/missed payment and in some cases once a DD has been cancelled you need to change policy/reference numbers to set up a new DD, meaning manual payments and lots of hassle.
Again, yes i know luckly enough I didnt take their advice.
Ben

"Thanks Martin for opening my eyes"

‹( •Ώ• )›
# 14
RhiannonB
Old 05-09-2005, 5:34 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Send a message via MSN to RhiannonB

Glad you didn't the only time i will give advice like that as i work for a bank is when the originator of the direct debit hasn't taken the Direct Debit for more than 6 months. You may want to watch to as i have been caught and although working for a bank didn't know this at the time if you have a direct debit that is set up twice and for the same thing and they are both active by cancelling one it cancel's out the other active one to. Even though it will show as active on your account the bank will send corresspondence to the originator to say that the direct debit has been cancelled. The company will then think that this is the direct debit that they are claiming for now and cancel the direct debit from their end. Fortunately for me through phoning my bank and speaking to a department called Periodic Payments they were able to re-instate the direct debit back up from the bank's end. So be careful sometimes if the company's have set up a new direct debit and havent cancelled the old instruction as long as they are not taking any money from it, it will become inactive in its own time.
Closed Thread