IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Wind noise with uPVC double glazing
Closed Thread
Views: 14,023
# 1
sarah_elton
Old 26-03-2008, 12:35 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default Wind noise with uPVC double glazing

I had my windows replaced with uPVC double glazing last spring. Most of them are fine, but the one in my bedroom has a problem. It's a square bay, and in high winds there's a noise in the room like a kazoo, or like when you blow through a piece of grass at school and make that sort of buzzy squeaking sound (don't know how else to describe it).

There's obviously a tiny hole somewhere, but I can't find it. I had an engineer from the window company round, and he couldn't see anything wrong. He put some sealant where I thought there might be a hole but it hasn't made a blind bit of difference. Trouble is, it wasn't windy when he was round, and since they book their engineers a week or so ahead, I can't get someone round on a windy day (I have to take time off work to have someone out).

What can I do? Short of stropping about it till they replace the whole window?

The noise is really irritating, it's very audible (though not loud) and especially annoying overnight.
# 2
Errata
Old 26-03-2008, 1:04 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Wait until it does it again then move a lighted candle along all the 'joins' and anywhere else you think might be the cause. The candle should flicker when it gets to the bit with the draught.
Check the trickle vents and the keyholes first, even those with a key in them. My back door howls like a bankshee when the wind is in a certain direction because the wind blows around the key in the keyhole !
# 3
sarah_elton
Old 26-03-2008, 1:11 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Thanks for the candle tip! I tried feeling around when it did it, but couldn't feel a draft on my finger.

There aren't any trickle vents in that one. I'll try checking round the window locks, but they don't go through to the outside...
The Following User Says Thank You to sarah_elton For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
sassybooboos
Old 27-03-2008, 7:30 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

my mum had this when some a**e riped her off with her new windows, turned out they werent sealed properly. so perhaps thats the problem with yours.

good luck as my mum had 8 windows doing the howling etc and we couldn't sleep.
# 5
trogg
Old 28-03-2008, 12:05 AM
MoneySaving Convert

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/....html?t=760093
# 6
d900
Old 28-03-2008, 1:38 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

1 of my windows did this if u press at the top of the window frame does it still do it?
# 7
1rolan
Old 24-11-2009, 3:57 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Unhappy wailing banshees

we had all our bedroom windows replaced this april, and now with the winds building up we are kept awake with the wailing. Some nights it sounds like band practice. When i phoned the derby based company to ask for someone to come and investigate i got an appointment in a months time. I shall be recording the noise incase it isnt windy when the 'inspector' calls. meanwhile i am trying to find out as much as i can as to what causes it.
# 8
latecomer
Old 24-11-2009, 5:59 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Personally I wouldn't have accepted waiting for a month for something thats disturbing your sleep. I would try and check to find where the wind is getting in as described in the other posts. you could always try putting masking tape over any suspect joins to see if it stops the noise.

(I would have started a new thread too but thats beside the point )
# 9
SatanicHare
Old 24-11-2009, 10:21 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

It's almost certainly the silicone, might be inside might outside, could be both. The silicone has detached from the pvc frame or trim and leavesa very fine edge which vibrates like a reed in a musical instrument. Look very closely at the silicone and if it looks slightly ruffled along the edge where it meets the plastic it could be the cause. It's had to describe, but i repair windows for a living and this is a very common problem. Try peeling some off the inside between the timber or plastic trims and the frame when the noise is present, but remember it could be outside as well. Sorry if my explanation is confusing, can't think of a better way to put it.
The Following User Says Thank You to SatanicHare For This Useful Post: Show me >>
Closed Thread