17th Edition Confusion; which consumer unit

Options
Hi there

I'm very confused

I'm about to get a new consumer unit installed to replace my old wylex one. I was advised to get one that complies with the 17th edition on this forum a couple of weeks back and asked my spark about this

He has quoted me £280 to install and test to the 16th edition (London) and said there was no major changes on the 17th edition (he hasnt done the college course for the 17th yet).

After much research I have managed to establish, with my limited knowledge of electrics that under the 17th edition each outlet needs RCD protection so a different kind of board is required.

So....my question is: If I get a board installed under the 16th, and then need a new ring circuit for my kitchen (which I will need in August) will I then have to get another new board as a spark will only install to the latest regs when undertaking major works? Or could I get a different switch on the board or is there another alternitive? What would be best?

Seems very confusing that some sparks are working to the 16th and some to the 17th

Help!!

NB - this guide is where I got most the info

http://www.hager.co.uk/application/php/forwarding.php?file=/files/download/0/1601_1/0/ConsumerUnitGuideToThe17thEdition.pdf

Comments

• inspect
    inspect Posts: 48 Forumite
    Options
    try here
  • baldelectrician
    Options
    Get a quote for a dual RCD consumer unit, or similar.

I would suggest MK brand
    baldly going on...
  • MRF
    MRF Posts: 28 Forumite
    Options
    Hi there

Thanks for replies, but they dont really get to the core of my question:

Yes I can get a dual RCD now and it will cost more

But

Is it worth it: will I have to pull out a board fitted to the 16th edition when I get a new coooker ring circuit. If not then the 16th edition is the way to go?
  • inspect
    inspect Posts: 48 Forumite
    Options
    Is it worth it?

Yes. As all circuits will be protected by an RCD so it will be a much safer system.

Yes. Because if you have any alterations on any circuits after July of this year they will require additional RCD protection. Which may mean that you’ll have to install inline RCD’s or change the consumer unit.
  • dwarvenassassin
    Options
    Is it worth it?

At this point in time - NO

Everyone is panicking about the upcoming 17th Ed. but it isn't compulsary yet
    The new dual RCD boards are at a premium at the moment but WILL inevitably come down in price.

A normal split load board is more than adequate as long as you ensure you have spare 'ways' for additional fuses in the future. (Spare ways on both sides of the split)

Sockets have to be RCD protected under the 16th anyway so buying a board that costs double just in case you need extra sockets later on is a waste of money.
  • MRF
    MRF Posts: 28 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the reply.

So what you're saying is that I need spare RCD way's? If thats the case why on both side of the board, as only one side is RCD protected?

Am I missing something here?

In the 16th not all sockets had to be RCD protected, just those that could be used from the outside i think. Maybe wrong.
  • baldelectrician
    Options
    The 17th requires ALL circuits including lighting to be RCD protected
    baldly going on...
  • BobProperty
    BobProperty Posts: 3,245 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The 17th requires ALL circuits including lighting to be RCD protected
    How does that fit in with alarm circuits, like fire alarms and security systems?
    A house isn't a home without a cat.
    Those are my principles. If you don't like them, I have others.
    I have writer's block - I can't begin to tell you about it.
    You told me again you preferred handsome men but for me you would make an exception.
    It's a recession when your neighbour loses his job; it's a depression when you lose yours.
  • baldelectrician
    Options
    Use of RCBO's (£35 each) for these circuits, in addition to the normal split load RCD board
    baldly going on...
  • yolis
    yolis Posts: 3 Newbie
    Options
    Sparks can only install to the 17th ed of the regs if they are suitably qualified to do so.
    Any new work being carried out to the 16th will not automatically require upgrading when the 17th comes into force but if you are planning work to be done after the end of June then it is worth bearing the requirements of the 17th in mind.
    RCD protection will be required for any circuit (in addition to the current requirement for areas of high risk) that is not installed more than 50mm deep into the building fabric of within earthed conduit (so basically everything).
    The idea of a split RCD board is in order to minimise the inconvenience caused when an mcb tripping takes the RCD with it and so every other circuit protected by the rcb.
    An alternative is to fill a consumer unit with individual RCBO's but at £25- £30 each this can get very expensive very fast.

Good luck out there.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport