Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 1
  • ukwoody
    • 16th Mar 08, 9:50 AM
    • 16th Mar 08, 9:50 AM
    If you have solid walls and concrete floors, the floors are likely to be straight on top of earth at that age of house, therefore air bricks would only really be of use for general room air circulation. Yes it might help the damp a tad, but not a lot as the air flow could only help the damp immediatly adjacent to the tunnel.
    Although the walls may be thick, are you sure there is absolutly no cavity there since your neighbours have them? If there is, an air brick or two may possibly help towards the damp.

Chimneys should always have a vent in them to allow for air circulation. It is one of the biggest causes of damp around chimneys, people block them off and keep damp air in there. In an ideal world you have a vent top and bottom thus creating a Plenum for vertical air movment substancially reducing the risk of damp.

Just thinking here, if your neighbours have a gas or open fire in their rooms then there may well be a need for an external vent which may be why they have them.

Woody
  • peediedj
    • 16th Mar 08, 10:14 AM
    • 16th Mar 08, 10:14 AM
    my house has wooden floor,s and i have airbricks,but 3 years ago got a extension,that has a concrete floor,and they put airbricks in it? so not sure on that one
    • ariba10
    • By ariba10 16th Mar 08, 10:41 AM
    • 5,018 Posts
    • 5,350 Thanks
    ariba10
    • 16th Mar 08, 10:41 AM
    • 16th Mar 08, 10:41 AM
    When your house was built, in all probability it had suspended wooden floors.

The Air Bricks would have been taken out when the solid floor was installed.

Air Bricks are used to ventilate Cavity walls and Suspended floors.
    I used to be indecisive but now I am not sure.
    • adaze
    • By adaze 16th Mar 08, 11:53 AM
    • 612 Posts
    • 207 Thanks
    adaze
    • 16th Mar 08, 11:53 AM
    • 16th Mar 08, 11:53 AM
    my house has wooden floor,s and i have airbricks,but 3 years ago got a extension,that has a concrete floor,and they put airbricks in it? so not sure on that one
    Originally posted by peediedj
    If your extension covered existing air bricks, venting your existing under floor, then a good builder would continue this air flow and vent from under the extension. That's what we've done anyway, to maintain a decent airflow.
  • petewhitemdr1
    • 16th Mar 08, 2:52 PM
    • 16th Mar 08, 2:52 PM
    Hi, if your house was built in the 1900 it would almost definately be solid brick 9 inch thick walls and not a cavity wall construction.there fore you don't need air bricks unless it was a block and concrete beam construction which would be very unlikely. if the concrete floors were put in after the original build. (1900 houses were built with timber floor boards)it should have a dpm(damp proof membrane )to stop moisture penetration coming up through the floors. if it has no dpm then the floor will always be damp.alternative is to start again or add dpm to top of floor and add another 2 inches of screed.
    Last edited by petewhitemdr1; 16-03-2008 at 3:14 PM.
    • suiko
    • By suiko 31st Mar 10, 12:33 PM
    • 280 Posts
    • 36 Thanks
    suiko
    • 31st Mar 10, 12:33 PM
    • 31st Mar 10, 12:33 PM
    Thanks, all.

Not sure about suspended wooden floors. I think they're concrete, but the carpet is nailed down. The house is a 1930 ex-council house, 99% sure no structural work has been carried out since. It definitely has no cavity in this wall though, as I had cavity insulation put in the other walls (front and back).

So nothing much to do (apart from remove the stuffing from the chimney)?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

198Posts Today

1,344Users online

Martin's Twitter