Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    dagger_meerkat
    Peugeot 206 problems
    • 13th Mar 08, 9:17 AM
    Peugeot 206 problems 13th Mar 08 at 9:17 AM
    I got a 206 from a dealer last year in December, and while it seemed a good buy at the time .. its recently started causing serious problems. I haven't been driving it much since I bought it (just local shopping trips that happen once in a week), and only started using (more trips) last week of February. Had had it fully serviced a month after buying, and the garage didn't point out any issues that would affect its roadworthy performance. (I should point out that I just spoke to him and he didn't do a diagnostics on it and is now asking me to bring it in again so that he can scan it; I thought a full service means a "full" service?)

It starts to lose power whilst travelling at speed or even driving at 20mph, then immediatley pick up again, causing a jerking motion. And sometimes it just stalls and grinds to a halt. I just had this happening on the highway yesterday, and when it stalls, the brakes and power steering lose power and it becomes very difficult to control the car. And it jerks in slow moving traffic as well. Driving has become very stressful, and I quite regret making the purchase now.

I have arranged a diagnostics check with the main Peugeot service centre in my area for next Wednesday and hopefully they will be able to resolve it.

However, my cause for concern is this .. quite a few people online seem to have had similar problems resulting in major costly repairs and in some cases, the problem only returns after some time. For some, the diagnostic checks do not reveal anything and yet the problems persist resulting in the car eventually breaking down.

From what I have read on forums, if the diagnostic test fails or if the costs are too high, its possible that the car was faulty at the time of sale, and one suggestion made was to have an independent inspection done and have the dealer take responsibiilty under the Sale of Goods Act as the car right now is not even road-worthy. Its too much of a danger to me and others. Would this be a viable route?

Also, should I keep the dealer informed via letters (recorded delivery) to make sure these can be looked upon in any further investigations?

Help would be appreciated
    Last edited by dagger_meerkat; 13-03-2008 at 9:27 AM.
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,815Posts Today

7,508Users online

Martin's Twitter