Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Marriage, Relationships & Families > Where can I get a free copy of my decree absolute... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Where can I get a free copy of my decree absolute?
Views: 91,430
# 1
Vicki Y
Old 11-03-2008, 12:16 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Where can I get a free copy of my decree absolute?

I've lost my decree absolute and I need to get a copy of it. The cheapest way I've found of getting a copy is using HM Courts Service who will charge 40.

Does anyone know of a cheaper or free way of obtaining a copy of this document?

Thanks in advance

Vicki Y
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Vicki Y For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
yorksbabe
Old 11-03-2008, 3:15 PM
MoneySaving Convert

hi, when i was getting married to my hubby he had to get a copy of his absolute from his 1st marriage. We just went to the courts paid 1 and waited an hour
The Following User Says Thank You to yorksbabe For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
floss2
Old 11-03-2008, 3:16 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Ask your ex for a photocopy....but if you need it for anything official it will probably have to be the original or a certified copy...from the Courts Service.

Have you contacted the court where it was granted? They may be able to give you a copy for less than £40 (which I assume is by phone/mail order?)
The Following User Says Thank You to floss2 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
poppyscorner
Old 11-03-2008, 3:19 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorksbabe View Post
hi, when i was getting married to my hubby he had to get a copy of his absolute from his 1st marriage. We just went to the courts paid 1 and waited an hour

Exactly what I was going to say I just rang the court where divorce was granted they confirmed the info and told me what to write in the letter and enclose a cheque for 1 had the absolute within 10 days
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to poppyscorner For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
shaznstubs
Old 30-09-2008, 5:16 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

thats great to hear,im such a dumbo i cant even remember if i applied for the absolute, (young and dumb eh),ive got my nisi here so ive contacted my cout via email today to see if they can help.fingers crossed,thanks for the advice x
The Following User Says Thank You to shaznstubs For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
frames1_uk
Old 02-10-2008, 5:09 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

The 40 is the cost for having the nisi made absolute, so it sounds as if you didn't do that. Further copies will only be a nominal cost from the Courts, remember to write down your Court case number, as it is easier and cheaper to get copies then.
The Following User Says Thank You to frames1_uk For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
MacyG
Old 09-03-2010, 11:43 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Post Decree Absolute replacement

As at March 2010, replacement Decree Absolutes are available from the court, while you wait, for a fee of 5.00, providing you know your case number. Your case number will have been on the original Decree Absolute and on the top right corner of any other paperwork you received from the court at that time. It will also have been on any solicitor's paperwork relating to your divorce.

If you don't have a case number, the court will need to know the full names of you and your ex-spouse and the dates or approximate dates. They will then do a search and provide a replacement Decree Absolute at a cost of 40.00.

Hope this helps
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MacyG For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
mackemdave
Old 09-03-2010, 4:12 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaznstubs View Post
thats great to hear,im such a dumbo i cant even remember if i applied for the absolute, (young and dumb eh),ive got my nisi here so ive contacted my cout via email today to see if they can help.fingers crossed,thanks for the advice x
Id be very worried if you didnt apply for your absolute......especially if you have more assets now than you did at the time...Your ex could still make a claim...did you get a consent order?
# 9
barrowfordred
Old 31-03-2010, 9:01 PM
MoneySaving Convert

What if you don't know the court that granted you the divorce?
I have a letter from a court that has the terms of the maintenance to be paid, is it likely this is the same court?
# 10
mackemdave
Old 31-03-2010, 10:36 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Yes it should be
# 11
mikewalker
Old 16-06-2011, 9:04 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default lost decree nisi and decree absolute.

I lost my decree too. I wrote a letter to the county court and they posted it out to me within 2weeks only cost 5 (by cheque) and the cost of postage for both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicki Y View Post
I've lost my decree absolute and I need to get a copy of it. The cheapest way I've found of getting a copy is using HM Courts Service who will charge 40.

Does anyone know of a cheaper or free way of obtaining a copy of this document?

Thanks in advance

Vicki Y
# 12
kitty_cat
Old 17-06-2011, 9:33 AM
MoneySaving Convert

I had to pay 40 for a replacement copy of my absolute, that was 3 years ago. However, I was in a bit of a panic because I was getting re-married a week later. Oh, and i eventually found the original about a year later when I was looking for something else! Not very money saving!
# 13
firefly1971
Old 04-07-2011, 10:22 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

I was burgled a couple of years ago and after searching for mine (because an insurance company never changed to my married details) over the weekend, I decided to phone the solicitors and ask how I get a copy quickly.

My absolute came through in 2007 and they still have it on file and can have it ready for me in 24 hours for a 10 fee. Much better than 40.
# 14
ding1981
Old 02-01-2012, 10:33 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Only use the General Registry Office or the registry office where you were born. You can apply over the internet via the GRO.

Having had the misfortune of working for one of the certificate replacement services for a couple of months, I can wholeheartedly say they are an absolute scam.

Last edited by MSE ForumTeam3; 03-01-2012 at 9:28 AM. Reason: Quoting deleted post
The Following User Says Thank You to ding1981 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
smiley1967
Old 08-02-2012, 4:59 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

I need a copy of my DA too, just been looking on GRO site and can't see it listed as an option - marriage/birth/adoption and death certificates yes, but decree absolutes I can't find on there...am I missing something?
# 16
ljbnotts
Old 08-02-2012, 7:18 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

GRO don't issue decree absolutes, only Birth, death and Marriage certs. As stated above you need to apply directly to the county court in which the divorce was heard.
# 17
booma_mitch
Old 10-02-2012, 8:23 PM
MoneySaving Convert

My old clients used to ring me all the time for copies of the decree absolute off of the file. Solicitors have to keep files for a minimum of 6 years for divorce cases, more if there are children. So first port of call should be your solicitor, who can do you a copy which you can then take to court to be sealed. There didn't used to be a charge for this from the court, and I never charged my clients for sending a copy out.

Failing that, contact the court with the case number and they should be able to arrange to send one out, for a small fee (5 sounds about right). I think the 40 is for when you don't know the case number so they have to search for the names etc.

Good luck
# 18
rentawitch
Old 28-02-2013, 9:59 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Decree Absolute

I want to revert to my maiden name and have neither, birth or marriage certificates nor any divorce documents. I left my husband in 1981 and he divorced me sometime in the next 10 years. Don't know the court or anything.

How can I find documents? Is there a central archive of dissolved marriages?

Thanks.
Sealed Pot challenge 3 - #969
20ps and 2 coins and other bits.

July grocery challenge 167.40/175

NSD challenge July 9/10
# 19
LandyAndy
Old 28-02-2013, 10:06 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentawitch View Post
I want to revert to my maiden name and have neither, birth or marriage certificates nor any divorce documents. I left my husband in 1981 and he divorced me sometime in the next 10 years. Don't know the court or anything.

How can I find documents? Is there a central archive of dissolved marriages?

Thanks.
I don't think you need anything like that to change your name
# 20
pigpen
Old 28-02-2013, 10:28 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Your maiden name is always your name.. just start using it, you don't need anything.
LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
Hope to be debt free until the day I die
Mortgage-free Wannabee (07/30)
6/6/14 72,454.65 (5.65% int.)