IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Dropped Kerb
Closed Thread
Views: 60,459
# 1
Addy1
Old 01-03-2008, 9:18 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default Dropped Kerb

Does anyone know how much a dropped kerb costs to have put in?
I looked on the council website and it basically said "it depends" with no other info!
We are looking to put in an offer and the house has off street parking round the back but alot of the other houses have drives and there is space for one, so it would seem sensible to get a dropped kerb if the cost isn't prohibitive!

Any ball park figures, or what you have paid would help.

Thanks in advance
# 2
LittleVoice
Old 01-03-2008, 9:19 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Councils can, I believe, charge what they want for this facility. I would phone them up and ask first thing on Monday. Or will the EA be receiving offers tomorrow?
The Following User Says Thank You to LittleVoice For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
BobProperty
Old 01-03-2008, 9:29 PM

This has been talked about on here a few times in the past. Several hundred is the best guess.
A house isn't a home without a cat.
Those are my principles. If you don't like them, I have others.
I have writer's block - I can't begin to tell you about it.
You told me again you preferred handsome men but for me you would make an exception.
It's a recession when your neighbour loses his job; it's a depression when you lose yours.
# 4
Addy1
Old 02-03-2008, 12:37 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

So sorry to waste your precious time.

People have been really helpful when I have asked questions before but now I may think twice about asking for help.
# 5
Sagz
Old 02-03-2008, 12:38 AM

Mine quoted me over a grand!!!
Some days you're the dog..... most days you're the tree!
The Following User Says Thank You to Sagz For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
Addy1
Old 02-03-2008, 12:44 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Thanks for that, it is useful to know. Not sure it will add any value to the house but we aren't really doing it for that reason - as long as it doesn't make it lose value!
But I don't suppose it would stop us putting in an offer, it would just be nice to know the option is there if we get fed up of parking round the back. I think by the time we have saved up for furniture etc it might be a while before we could afford it at that price!
# 7
aqueoushumour01
Old 02-03-2008, 9:07 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

this could be interesting reading for you OP:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/....html?t=725689

It talks about some of the probelms people have had with driveways/dropped kurbs.
# 8
Addy1
Old 02-03-2008, 9:13 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Thanks.

That sounds very annoying!

However the house is on a fairly quiet road that is not really a thru road to anywhere, and there are double yellows on the side where the house is, and parking is relatively simple on the other side. Plus all the houses have parking at the back.

Although it would be awful to get blocked in! But my partner is a copper so hopefully could do something about that!
# 9
BobProperty
Old 02-03-2008, 9:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addy1 View Post
So sorry to waste your precious time.

People have been really helpful when I have asked questions before but now I may think twice about asking for help.
I wasn't being sarcastic, I was stating a fact. If you'd used the search facility you would have found that this subject and prices has been discussed a few times in, say, the last year.
A house isn't a home without a cat.
Those are my principles. If you don't like them, I have others.
I have writer's block - I can't begin to tell you about it.
You told me again you preferred handsome men but for me you would make an exception.
It's a recession when your neighbour loses his job; it's a depression when you lose yours.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BobProperty For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
Rick62
Old 02-03-2008, 9:37 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

My ex wife had it done. I think the council quoted about 1500, she then had it done privately for about half that. But it is often a council requirement that they do it, so she had it done illegally and in theory the council could make her put it back.
I am a Mortgage Adviser
You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rick62 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
VickyA
Old 02-03-2008, 10:08 AM

When friends had their kerb dropped, their council basically gave them a list of "approved" contractors. They just worked their way through that list until they found the cheapest.
Sealed Pot Challenge 7 - saver #153 85 banked
No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries Nov 2013 - OUT 65 IN 25
365 in 365 days challenge 2014 #2 - 273/365 2 Savers #21 - 120 banked
Virtual Savings #151 - 158.98
The Following User Says Thank You to VickyA For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
dekh
Old 02-03-2008, 10:47 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

North Tyneside Council quoted me 1400 for a double dropped kirb.

However, get the council to come talk to you. Get the spec they require for the kirb and the path between the kirb and your drive. You can then get it done privately but the builder has to supply a copy of their Public Liability Insurance Certificate and do it to Council specs and give proper notice.

At least in North Tyneside - quotes I'm getting so far 700.
The Following User Says Thank You to dekh For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
Addy1
Old 02-03-2008, 10:48 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I think we will put in an offer on the house regardless, and then ask the council once we have moved in and got settled, as their seems to be such a range of prices!
# 14
jackieb
Old 02-03-2008, 10:51 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

I got mine done 2 years ago by a council approved contractor. I was 2000 which included lock-blocking the front of the house. 420 of that was for dropping the kerb. My cousin lives nearby and she got a quote from another contractor for a dropped kerb only, and she was quoted 800.
Weight lost since 24th October 2013 - 83.5lb

Zennith's dieting for Christmas challenge - 11/27.5lb (to reach 100lb total lost)

Officially in a clique of idiots.
The Following User Says Thank You to jackieb For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
Addy1
Old 02-03-2008, 10:54 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

420 sounds more reasonable
I can get a friend to pave the driveway cheaply, but want to go down the official council route for the kerb part!
# 16
jackieb
Old 02-03-2008, 11:16 AM

When you go down to the council to seek permission (that cost us 30, someone comes up and has a look at the pavement, that's all), they should be able to give you a list of approved contractors.
Weight lost since 24th October 2013 - 83.5lb

Zennith's dieting for Christmas challenge - 11/27.5lb (to reach 100lb total lost)

Officially in a clique of idiots.
The Following User Says Thank You to jackieb For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
pinkshoes
Old 02-03-2008, 12:40 PM

I seem to remember that a colleague had to pay around the £1000 mark to get his done, but the biggest problem was the council kicking up a fuss about the change of use of the land i.e. a front garden into a parking space, and it too a LONG time to prove that it was like that when he bought it 3 months previously. For a while they wanted him to convert it back into garden, but eventually they agreed to the parking space and dropped curb.
It's a shame when the right to freedom of speech is not honoured...
The Following User Says Thank You to pinkshoes For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
Addy1
Old 02-03-2008, 12:42 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I have a feeling it won't be a problem as about half the houses on the street have driveways, but it is useful to know.
# 19
oasisfeverish
Old 03-03-2008, 2:16 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Also ask your council if they are planning in the near future to replace the pavements.

Our council were doing this and did a leaflet drop asking if we wanted a dropped kerb when the work started at a reduced rate. We got ours done for 158, as the workman were replacing all the paving slabs and kerb stones anyway.

They may have no plans, but always worth asking the question. You may have to wait a while till the work starts, but the saving will be of a benefit, when you eventually lay out for the drive.
Financial Aims for 2012:
1. To pay off Car loan (2,163.85 / 300.23 : 13.9%) 2. To pay off Joint OD (1,928.53 / 1,928.53 : 100%) 3. To pay off GF's CC (1100.31 / 0 : 0%) 4. To OP Mortgage (1000 / 0 : 0%)

Money Saving / Making in 2012:
1. Ebay (0 ) 2. Surveys (0 ) 3. Quidco (156.45 (Feb 12) ) 4. Lottery (0 ) 5. Groceries (0 )
The Following User Says Thank You to oasisfeverish For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
buxtonrabbitgreen
Old 03-03-2008, 4:10 PM

I was really lucky I think. 20 years ago when I moved in I put some slabs on my front garden to park the car on and just drove up the kerb, and the neighbours. all did the same. A few years later the council were doing some work on the road and just put dropped kerbs in front of all the houses. Never asked for any money either.
Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination

Oscar Wilde
Closed Thread