IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Sat Nav for Florida
Closed Thread
Views: 8,274
# 1
WOW Factor 0
Amys
Old 27-02-2008, 1:00 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default Sat Nav for Florida

Any ideas of the best place to get Navman (for the F20 on an SD Card) maps for the US. The RRP is 99, the company's own web site has an offer for 59, but are out of stock, no seller on ebay have the US card and the SD cards sold by US sellers clearly state that they can only be used in systems ourcased in the US.

I really do not want to spend 99 on maps, even 59 will hurt!
# 2
BillScarab
Old 27-02-2008, 2:51 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

If you're hiring a car why not just hire a sat nav while you're there?
It's my problem, it's my problem
If I feel the need to hide
And it's my problem if I have no friends
And feel I want to die

# 3
Amys
Old 27-02-2008, 4:27 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

it seems daft to hire one as the cost, as for the time were are there it would cost more than the cost of buying the maps.
# 4
LittleTinker
Old 27-02-2008, 5:28 PM

What do you need a Sat Nav for?
# 5
hammy the hammer
Old 27-02-2008, 6:18 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleTinker View Post
What do you need a Sat Nav for?
to reduce the stress when driving around in the States ?
i bit the bullet a while back and bought a tom tom 910 (because of US and Canadian mapping) .....i wouldn't want to be without it now
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hammy the hammer For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
Amys
Old 27-02-2008, 6:21 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

will be driving around the state quite a bit
# 7
Sheel
Old 27-02-2008, 8:22 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammy the hammer View Post
to reduce the stress when driving around in the States ?
i bit the bullet a while back and bought a tom tom 910 (because of US and Canadian mapping) .....i wouldn't want to be without it now
We bought a 910 for the same reason as we always get lost at some point on our holidays in the US :rolleyes:

Would THIS be of any use to you?
You reap what you sow.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sheel For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
Amys
Old 27-02-2008, 10:17 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I don't know atm, I am not sure if they will be compatible with the F20, but will look into it
# 9
Nobjocki
Old 28-02-2008, 12:05 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

You're wasting your time.
There's only a few roads that only go anywhere you want to go -I mean how hard is it to find Orlando,Miami,Ft Lauderdale,Key West.
Spend five bucks and buy a map
SatNav is for Mondeo-driving reps who are too stupid to find their way from Travelodge to a Harvester..
# 10
hammy the hammer
Old 28-02-2008, 12:05 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

have you looked on ebays US site to see what price you can pick up an american sat nav for ?
walmart have them for under £70 as a starting point
# 11
hammy the hammer
Old 28-02-2008, 12:09 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobjocki View Post
You're wasting your time.
There's only a few roads that only go anywhere you want to go -I mean how hard is it to find Orlando,Miami,Ft Lauderdale,Key West.
Spend five bucks and buy a map
SatNav is for Mondeo-driving reps who are too stupid to find their way from Travelodge to a Harvester..
i'll just go on my own experiences that the sat nav cuts a huge amount of stress out of driving on a trip to the US and Canada.....
have you ever used one in the States ? (or even here?)
The Following User Says Thank You to hammy the hammer For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
Nobjocki
Old 28-02-2008, 9:42 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
i'll just go on my own experiences that the sat nav cuts a huge amount of stress out of driving on a trip to the US and Canada.....
have you ever used one in the States ? (or even here?)
No - for a very simple reason.
The road system in the States is incredibly easy to follow for several reasons - because of the long distances there is plenty of time to use a map;most towns and cities have by-passes to avoid you getting lost in them and the roads were designed by and for American who are without doubt the laziest drivers on God's earth.
I've probably driven 20,000 miles on US roads and never got lost once.
I repeat - you are wasting your time and money.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nobjocki For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
Penny-Pincher!!
Old 28-02-2008, 9:55 PM

We just take our own one and downloaded the maps needed 3 years ago.

PP
xx
To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
requires brains!
# 14
hammy the hammer
Old 28-02-2008, 11:36 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
The road system in the States is incredibly easy to follow for several reasons - because of the long distances there is plenty of time to use a map;most towns and cities have by-passes to avoid you getting lost in them and the roads were designed by and for American who are without doubt the laziest drivers on God's earth.
i thought it would be just as easy getting lost driving 4 miles through philadelphia to find hillside avenue as driving through birmingham to find hillside avenue.
i commend you on never getting lost in driving 20000 miles in the States ...i feel embarrassed to admit that i must have got lost for the first time in the States after about 20 miles ....my first time in boston involved viewing most of the city centre over and over again....thankfully i had unlimited mileage!.
i had a history of viewing parts of various US cities in the car that i really shouldn't have visited.
road signage in the US is pathetic compared to what we are used to here.
if i want a cashpoint i tap the screen on the sat nav ..want to eat in a particular restaurant chain i just hit the screen
absolute piece of p
The Following User Says Thank You to hammy the hammer For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
utterbar
Old 28-02-2008, 11:42 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amys View Post
it seems daft to hire one as the cost, as for the time were are there it would cost more than the cost of buying the maps.
Long trip then? I've hired units for a few $ per day.
# 16
Sheel
Old 29-02-2008, 12:15 AM

Quote:
i thought it would be just as easy getting lost driving 4 miles through philadelphia to find hillside avenue as driving through birmingham to find hillside avenue.
i commend you on never getting lost in driving 20000 miles in the States ...i feel embarrassed to admit that i must have got lost for the first time in the States after about 20 miles ....my first time in boston involved viewing most of the city centre over and over again....thankfully i had unlimited mileage!.
i had a history of viewing parts of various US cities in the car that i really shouldn't have visited.
road signage in the US is pathetic compared to what we are used to here.
if i want a cashpoint i tap the screen on the sat nav ..want to eat in a particular restaurant chain i just hit the screen
absolute piece of p
Oh good , we're not the only ones! We've ended up in some pretty dodgy areas too. Miami was a bit scary

I agree about the signs being poor over there. Mind you we get lost in the UK a lot too My fault probably , i'm not the best at navigating. OH gets mad at me as I tend to point and shout "go that way" and he keeps saying pointing's no good as he can't tell where i'm pointing to :rolleyes:

Oh and the OH is not a sales rep and has never driven a Mondeo in his life
You reap what you sow.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sheel For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
eslick
Old 29-02-2008, 8:32 AM

for those that have never got lost, here is a question, if you are on a freeway and you miss your exit you need to going miles before the next one. Not all exits are well sign posted, in many states the sign posts are right on the exit and its not always clear before the exit approaches which one is needed.

Myself and our inlaws have driven from one side of the US to the other and have had this happens on numerous occasions. My father in law (an ex traffic cop and used to motorway driving) took his PDA which he has a satnav on his last trip and his belief is that it made driving so much easier.

I am not one for satnavs but have to admit that when we go to the US later this year, I will be using one.
The Following User Says Thank You to eslick For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
vikingaero
Old 29-02-2008, 9:12 AM

Quote:
I disagree with you Nobjocki.

A holiday is a holiday and if something makes the OP more relaxed about motoring in the States then that is a valuable aid for them.

Yes it is easy to get from City to City in the US. But what happens when you need to find your hotel each night? I've done loads of fly drives and business mileage and whilst the interstates are no problem I find that it is a problem finding hotels. Sometimes there are so many hotels of the same chain in the area that it's easy to turn up at the wrong one.

Also on the older interstates the entrance ramps are almost hidden and the signage is appalling. It's so easy to miss them.

When you're on holiday, it's late, dark, the kids are whinging and hungry, sat nav is worth every penny on holiday.
The Following User Says Thank You to vikingaero For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
Murphy_The_Cat
Old 29-02-2008, 11:42 AM

I use WifeNav.
Admittedly, it is very expensive to upkeep, but I've always found it to be 100% reliable (although at times it does have an annoying 'voice' programme) and has several fringe benefits that aren't available in an electronic device.

Murphys No More Pies Club. Member No 1

The Following User Says Thank You to Murphy_The_Cat For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
Nobjocki
Old 29-02-2008, 12:30 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Well,the OP mentioned Florida rather than a cross-country trip but the result is still the same.
If you plan your journey in advance and write down exits numbers that you need to take that are clearly marked on the map then they're very clear on the road.
Either way each to their own but I still regard SatNav for tourist purposes in the States as a complete waste of time - besides which one of the joys of a road trip is getting lost and discovering new places.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nobjocki For This Useful Post: Show me >>
Closed Thread