PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

How Long Do You Keep Home-made Soup For?

When I make a pot of soup, it's usually a big one and can last at least two days.

If there's any left over, I never like to eat it on the third day (I'm obsessed about getting food poisoning! lol) so my question is this - if you have made a large pot of soup, how long do you use it for? Or do you take it out of the pot and keep it in the fridge, or do you freeze it? Would you eat it on the third day?

I hate using my freezer to be honest, I like to get things fresh each day, if possible.

Sally
x

Comments

• Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi Sally,

I normally freeze left over soup on the day it's made in individual portions for lunches and snacks. If I am keeping some for using the next day I always cool it as quickly as possible and pop it in the fridge.

Keeping soup at room temperature isn't a great idea as there is much more chance of bacteria multiplying and causing food poisoning.

Pink
  • nearlyrich
    nearlyrich Posts: 13,698 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    I would eat it on day two no problem but if there is more than two days supply I would freeze some on day one.
    Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange[/CENTER]
  • I always stick my soup straight in the fridge once it's cooled down. I figure that way it's def safe for 3 days and 4 at a pinch. But I'm veggie so I guess risks aren't quite the same. Even so for meat as long as it's refrigerated and smells okay I'd think 3 days.
  • angchris
    angchris Posts: 1,179 Forumite
    my ex mil used to make a hugeee pan of soup and left it on the cooker in the same pot all week and reheated it every day in the same pot, she did this nearly every week all of her adult life and lived to a ripe old age and never poisoned anyone in the process.i think in todays world we have become a bit obsessed about germs and mould and keeping things at the right temperature and dates on food if things went green years ago they would just cut it off and carry on eating it!
    i however do keep my soup in the fridge 4 days max and if i make too much it gets frozen.
    proper prior planning prevents p!$$ poor performance! :p
    Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish been caught will we realise we cannot eat money
    quote from an american indian.
  • SallyUK
    SallyUK Posts: 2,344 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks for the replies.

For those of you who do freeze soup, can you reheat it straight from frozen??

Sally
    x
  • SallyUK wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies.

For those of you who do freeze soup, can you reheat it straight from frozen??

Sally
    x
    Hi, I have made HM soup for years, and have always frozen some. I just defrost it in the microwave for as long as it needs, or sometimes i just put the frozen soup into a sauce pan with just a spot of water and reheat it slowly, stirring it until it has defrosted and cooked through.I have never had any problems with either method, although defrosting first in the microwave does seem to be quicker. Then just heat up in a saucepan. Hope thats some help to you.
    20p savers club
    before joining had nothing
    joined on 19/03
    now have £40.00 saved :j :j :j
    saving to pay off debts Debts now paid off. Yeah.
    Amazon sellers club member 31
  • Hi, I make chicken soup every time we roast a bird and it's always a huge pot, so I freeze that which we don't eat the night I make it. I always cook it from frozen and make sure it's piping hot and it is always fine.
  • maypole
    maypole Posts: 1,816 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I make a panful, cool it, put in fridge and just take out what I want to reheat. I never keep reheating the soup over and over. If I made it on a Monday, Wednesday would be the last day to use it for me. I usually only make soup with vegetables, unless I make broth.
  • pcg2001
    pcg2001 Posts: 1,406 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I always stick my soup straight in the fridge once it's cooled down. I figure that way it's def safe for 3 days and 4 at a pinch. But I'm veggie so I guess risks aren't quite the same.

I'm not a veg but do the same. From my experience, the soup has to be really cool to stick in the fridge. It lasts 4 days without a problem.

My mom freezes soup, but I don't really like to, for a reason I can't figure out.
  • maypole
    maypole Posts: 1,816 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    pcg2001 wrote: »
    I'm not a veg but do the same. From my experience, the soup has to be really cool to stick in the fridge. It lasts 4 days without a problem.

My mom freezes soup, but I don't really like to, for a reason I can't figure out.

Do you think it goes a little watery after being fozen? I do
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport