Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Essential Money > Budgeting & Bank Accounts > 5 Things Teens Should Be Taught About Money (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
5 Things Teens Should Be Taught About Money
Views: 74,555
# 1
MSE Martin
Old 22-10-2004, 1:30 PM
Money Saving Expert
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Default 5 Things Teens Should Be Taught About Money

What's new?

I've revisited this thread as it's a gooden and turned it into a Great Hunt. Click reply to add your ideas.

Back to my original post...

I was woken this morning by Sky News. They were planning to do a piece of personal finance education in schools.

Scratching my head in dreary sleep talk, they asked me what five rules would you tell a kid about money. Hastily I came up with the following five, admittedly none are things I've not said before and don't come up in the Money Diet, but it was an interesting exercise.

After you've read my five, I'd be fascinated to read any rules you think kids can be taught. If there's some good ones, I may turn it into an article from the site 'wisdom from an older generation'....

So let me start it off:

A company's job is to try and make profit from us

The sooner people understand society is adversarial, and companies care about profits the better. That way a skeptical eye can always check, why are they doing this?, how do they gain? a good way to prevent problems?

Interest Compounds

Compound interest is very powerful. When you're saving, as you earn interest on the interest your savings grow more quickly over time. When you're borrowing, as you're charged interest on interest your debts increase rapidly. Be aware of the impact of compounds.

Always check three

I'm not a big fan of the 'shop around' mantra. Generally I believe 'think through the logic' is a better start position. However, whatever you do or buy, checking three sources to ensure you're getting a good deal is a golden rule.

Pay off debts with savings

Understanding that debt and savings are just opposite sides of the same coin is a must. If you've 1,000 of savings earning 3% after tax, that's 30 a year gained. If you've 1,000 of debt at 18% that's a cost of 180. If you paid off the debt with the savings you'd be 150 better off.

Of course, the more sophisticated understand that if the debt is cheaper than the saving you can profit, yet in most lives this is rarely the case, so pay off expensive debts with underperforming savings and you're doing well.

Bank accounts lie

Your bank account is just a snapshot of your current finances. It doesn't look at what money is due to come in and go out. It doesn't look at your spending over a year. All ii does is give you a picture of an instant in your account. You couldn't take one still frame of action from Eastenders and know the entire programme script, a bank account is just that; a 'freeze frame picture' - don't trust it. (see Budget the MoneySavingExpert.com way)

That's my starter, now over to you....

See the full Financial Education Campaign section for lots more info.

Last edited by MSE Researcher; 20-01-2011 at 6:39 PM.
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to MSE Martin For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
Jen_Jen
Old 22-10-2004, 6:19 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Re: 5 Things Teens Should Be Taught About Money

Budgeting, how and why to do it

Responsible use of credit - it is acceptable to use credit but we should be telling young people how to use it sensibly, to know what an APR is, to know how HP works before they get into difficulties.

Best Buys - why you should shop around

Banking - how the bank works, what terms mean, how an overdraft works etc

Debt - what are the consequences of not paying bills, how to deal with debt

Thats my five but I dont disagree with yours.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jen_Jen For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
Freddie_Snowbits
Old 22-10-2004, 6:25 PM
PPR

Do I really need it.

Always ask yourself do I really need it and do I need it now. If the answer is NO, it can wait until another day.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Freddie_Snowbits For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
misters
Old 23-10-2004, 12:17 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Do I really need it.

Always ask yourself do I really need it and do I need it now. If the answer is NO, it can wait until another day.
I agree with this rule whole heartly!!!!
# 5
isasmurf
Old 23-10-2004, 1:14 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Not sure I agree with Martin's 5, although I certainly agree they should be taught about the principle of compounding.

I would say do shop around - on Martin's philosophy you could be checking 3 stinkers and think your getting a good deal.

Budgeting is a must. Learning to live within your means is vital skill. They should be taught to work out their income and necessary outgoings for each of the next 6 months, and ideally year. Only then can they work out what they can spend on 'luxury' items.

The differences between the different interest rates quote (AER, APR, etc...) and how to calculate them.

Struggling for a fifth, maybe something about the tax system. It's essential part of life, and I'm continually surprised about how little people know about it.
# 6
Spendless
Old 23-10-2004, 1:29 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Get used to having your own cash and buying your own things with it.

Several friends of mine with teenagers buying their kids Rockport shoes to go to school in at 100 a time!!

So what happens when they leave school in a few years or become students and don;t have that sort of cash of their own. to me they will either
a, continue to ask parents for money or
b, start buying via credit cards.
# 7
deemy2004
Old 23-10-2004, 2:10 AM
PPR

1. Don't spend more than you earn. Try to save upto 50% of your earnings as a goal. - My present rate is at 65% of earnings.

2. The value of compounding, when your young you have several decades to compound investments and savings over.

3. Avoid debt - Somewhere in my life, I got it ingrained in me the value of earning interest rather than paying interest.

4. Plan you investments, educate yourself and keep learning, don't take advice from others on investments without fully understanding what they are talking about !

5. Don't lend or borrow money - Okay a bit more on 3.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to deemy2004 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
Reaper
Old 23-10-2004, 4:29 AM

I'd wholeheartedly agree with Deemy.

Kids should be taught to save up to buy something they want instead of using credit. It got ingrained into me at an early age too and I'm grateful.
# 9
nh
Old 23-10-2004, 6:26 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
1. Don't spend more than you earn. Try to save upto 50% of your earnings as a goal. - My present rate is at 65% of earnings.
My goodness, how much do you earn?

As for what to tell teens, you can't tell teens anything. I think the thing with money is you have to learn for yourself... usually the hard way (what self-respecting 21-year-old isn't 5k in debt at least on credit cards these days?)

You learn a lot from your parents though. If, as a parent, you set a good example to your kids with money, that is a good start - and I would also say if you are trying to teach teens about money, try not to let them know you are trying to teach them, that is a sure way for them to switch off!
# 10
nh
Old 23-10-2004, 7:03 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Rule 78 calculations and how to do them.

...or how to avoid them altogether!
# 11
nearlyrich
Old 23-10-2004, 7:20 PM

Some good advice here already, here are some of mine...................

1 Credit card companies are not charitable organisations giving free money to people who sign on the dotted line. Pay your credit card in full every month unless you have a 0% deal and in that case put the money into a high interest savings account. Don't forget to pay it off or move it before the rate changes.

2 Student loans, the word to watch is loans, yes you do have to pay it back even though it is at a low rate of interest it will still impact upon the amount of cash you have to spend at some time in the future.

3 Buy one get one free, fantastic way of saving money on products that don't go off and that you use. If you don't use it before it goes off or if you never use it at all you wasted the money.

4 100 trainers are just the same as 30 trainers except someone in the marketing department of the expensive brand got an extra 70 of your money.

5 If it looks too good to be true it probably is, check a bit deeper and, if you really can't find the catch grab it and run.
The Following User Says Thank You to nearlyrich For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
deemy2004
Old 23-10-2004, 7:38 PM
PPR

Rule 79

To post without scrolling across the screen so people can actually read what your posting !
# 13
frepol
Old 23-10-2004, 7:43 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Rule 80

Cheking wat yu have ritten bfore you klik poste so that peple under stand wat yu ar tawkin a bout
# 14
Spendless
Old 23-10-2004, 9:37 PM

Quote:
Some good advice here already, here are some of mine...................

1 Credit card companies are not charitable organisations giving free money to people who sign on the dotted line. Pay your credit card in full every month unless you have a 0% deal and in that case put the money into a high interest savings account. !Don't forget to pay it off or move it before the rate changes.

2 Student loans, the word to watch is loans, yes you do have to pay it back even though it is at a low rate of interest it will still impact upon the amount of cash you have to spend at some time in the future.

3 Buy one get one free, fantastic way of saving money on products that don't go off and that you use. If you don't use it before it goes off or if you never use it at all you wasted the money.

4 100 trainers are just the same as 30 trainers except someone in the marketing department of the expensive brand got an extra 70 of your money.

5 If it looks too good to be true it probably is, check a bit deeper and, if you really can't find the catch grab it and run.
Wow. I like these ones. Do you have teenagers of your own?
# 15
nearlyrich
Old 23-10-2004, 9:43 PM

Yes I have two, elder one just gone to University and his sister hoping to go next year so they both need good financial advice. I have had good and bad times with money over the years but I hope they can learn from my experiences.
# 16
Milarky
Old 23-10-2004, 9:49 PM

Well, they could start by telling kids that VAT is really 17.5% instead of 15% :-[ [I 'kid' you not - look in any maths school textbook!]
The Following User Says Thank You to Milarky For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
buses7675
Old 24-10-2004, 12:12 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Send a message via Yahoo to buses7675

Hi All,

Quote:
(what self-respecting 21-year-old isn't 5k in debt at least on credit cards these days?)
Well I'm 22 now and didn't even have any credit cards until this year when I realised the benefits of a moneyback card - Which I do of course pay off every month in full! - Didn't even take out a student loan during Uni, so have graduated with people oweing ME money!

Great site btw, forums are really good to read!

Cheers

Steve
# 18
nearlyrich
Old 24-10-2004, 12:18 AM

Well done Steve, how did you manage to get through University without student loans?? My son has to pay nearly all of his student loan for accommodation so he has a job and bank of Mum ( not dad) and he is doing OK so far.
# 19
buses7675
Old 24-10-2004, 8:48 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Send a message via Yahoo to buses7675

Hi All,

Well I had a job the whole way through Uni in a newsagents, where I currently still work although with longer hours, whilst I look for a full time job!

My other 'advantage' was that the Uni I went to is very close to my house, so I stayed at home rent free whilst at Uni!

Cheers

Steve
# 20
LouiseW
Old 25-10-2004, 10:55 PM
MoneySaving Convert

hi

i would add that things don't magically disappear when you leave uni and get a 'proper' job! although i worked all through uni with two jobs during summer and Christmas times i always thought i'd be ok when i got a real job. a year into my proper job i have paid back about 3000 - 4000 of debt and admittedly my highest interest is on my student loan but i'm far from having the house and wedding i'd dreamed would happen when i left uni!