Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 1
    • Kerilinann
    • By Kerilinann 16th Feb 08, 6:08 PM
    • 423 Posts
    • 1,417 Thanks
    Kerilinann
    • 16th Feb 08, 6:08 PM
    • 16th Feb 08, 6:08 PM
    What do you have?

• Kerilinann
    • By Kerilinann 16th Feb 08, 6:18 PM
    • 423 Posts
    • 1,417 Thanks
    Kerilinann
    • 16th Feb 08, 6:18 PM
    • 16th Feb 08, 6:18 PM
    Well worn shoes go well.
    Originally posted by FloFlo
    Do not know if that was sarcasm or not, but on occasions I have actually got more money for a well worn pair of Vans (e.g) than a non worn pair of shoes

• FloFlo
    • By FloFlo 16th Feb 08, 6:23 PM
    • 32,171 Posts
    • 211,335 Thanks
    FloFlo
    • 16th Feb 08, 6:23 PM
    • 16th Feb 08, 6:23 PM
    Why don't you make notes at the carboot sales or charity shops to remind you of what type of items are for sale, and how much, then check the current prices on eBay to see if there is enough margin in it to make it worthwhile for you.
    Last edited by FloFlo; 16-02-2008 at 6:42 PM.
    • StaffsSW
    • By StaffsSW 16th Feb 08, 6:35 PM
    • 5,296 Posts
    • 5,289 Thanks
    StaffsSW
    • 16th Feb 08, 6:35 PM
    • 16th Feb 08, 6:35 PM
    Hi guys, I do ebay sometimes, and just wondering what sort of things to sell to make a good profit, I go to alot of carboots and jumble sales,I would appreciate any advice and tips as I desperately need to make some cash thanks
    Originally posted by rosieandjim
    People make less money by giving away their selling secrets and suppliers. It's a rather impertinent question to ask as people have worked long and hard to make their selling profitable, so do not expect any magic answers to be revealed.

Consider asking for general selling advice or help, rather than asking to be handed it all on a plate. You are much more likely to receive a favourable and constructive response.

A constructive response may be along the lines of "Why don't you make notes at the carboot sales or charity shops to remind you of what type of items are for sale, and how much, then check the current prices on eBay to see if there is enough margin in it to make it worthwhile for you."
    <--- Nothing to see here - move along --->
    • PBA
    • By PBA 16th Feb 08, 8:14 PM
    • 1,509 Posts
    • 516 Thanks
    PBA
    • 16th Feb 08, 8:14 PM
    • 16th Feb 08, 8:14 PM
    You need to sell something that you know about. A friend of mine makes a fair bit of cash buying old consoles at boot sales and selling them on ebay, but this relies on the fact that he knows exactly what something's worth and therefore whether it's worth buying or not. You can make money on any type of item with ebay, as long as you know you're buying it cheap enough to be able to make money.
    • Anastasia
    • By Anastasia 17th Feb 08, 10:57 PM
    • 283 Posts
    • 112 Thanks
    Anastasia
    • 17th Feb 08, 10:57 PM
    • 17th Feb 08, 10:57 PM
    You have to build your experience and you will probably make some mistakes. I buy books mostly - self-help books sell well. I always check the 'completed listings' and if something hasn't sold before then I don't bother listing it. Some things I have sold are Slimming World books, children's dance items, any good labelled clothes such as Per Una, Next etc.

I would do some searches on items you can think of to see what they sell for. Good luck.
  • charlottevwa
    • 17th Feb 08, 10:58 PM
    • 17th Feb 08, 10:58 PM
    Do not know if that was sarcasm or not, but on occasions I have actually got more money for a well worn pair of Vans (e.g) than a non worn pair of shoes
    Originally posted by Kerilinann
    FloFlos comment was not sarcastic. Well worn whoes sell for more than the actual price of the new shoe most often.... You get some wierd shoe collecters.. they prefer it if your shoes are extra smelly too
    I
    • FloFlo
    • By FloFlo 17th Feb 08, 11:04 PM
    • 32,171 Posts
    • 211,335 Thanks
    FloFlo
    • 17th Feb 08, 11:04 PM
    • 17th Feb 08, 11:04 PM
    FloFlos comment was not sarcastic. Well worn whoes sell for more than the actual price of the new shoe most often.... You get some wierd shoe collecters.. they prefer it if your shoes are extra smelly too
    Originally posted by charlottevwa
    They also seem to like it if you say you are an air hostess - men! They'll believe anything

I've never actually had the guts to sell any - too weird. I did get asked to wear some brand new thongs I was selling and send them unlaundered .
    • Contains Mild Peril
    • By Contains Mild Peril 18th Feb 08, 1:45 AM
    • 4,047 Posts
    • 2,825 Thanks
    Contains Mild Peril
    the well-worn shoes thread
    I find vintage leather bags can sometimes be found cheaply at jumble/ car boot sales and sold for a good profit on ebay.
    • rosekitten
    • By rosekitten 18th Feb 08, 3:23 AM
    • 1,796 Posts
    • 2,280 Thanks
    rosekitten
    I once managed to get a selection of different
    styles of wedding shoes,the type that are
    made in satin material,a few of them were
    in leather all were either white or cream
    .I paid £3/£4 a pair in various sizes from
    a shop that was closing down.
    sold the lot on ebay for
    really good prices.Lots of interest from
    bidders in France,Germany etc.It seems
    these shoes are really expensive overseas.
    Even got a few pairs from Charity shops
    secondhand and they sold for around £11/£15
    a pair.I thought I would never sell the size 3 and 4
    in these and the ones that were size 8,but they
    all went
    • roddydogs
    • By roddydogs 18th Feb 08, 7:57 AM
    • 5,746 Posts
    • 2,377 Thanks
    roddydogs
    The best thing to sell on e-bay must be "Fakes" as e-bay is full of them
  • Kay Peel
    I no longer buy the things I can get on the High Street or in Retail Parks.

I look for:

* Sellers who are closely connected with their products - they make them or restore them. The Keywords, for me, are 'Unique; handcrafted; handknitted; handspun; handmade; hand-dyed, one-off; bespoke. There are some astonishing craftsmen and women selling on Ebay: like the small family firm making their own mineral makeup, or the young student making her own gorgeous leather handbags, to the crofters and farmers wives making knitwear in pure wool and their own jewellery.

* Stuff that's not available in the UK shops and can only be found in the USA or Canada - like particular brands of swimwear, golf clubs, make-up, water-based nail varnish and so on. I don't want to pay the import taxes, VAT or other duties, so any seller who gets hold of these rare beauties will get my custom.

* Really cheap things that it is not worth travelling to the town for (I'd only have to pay for car-parks, fuel etc) - a 2008 diary selling for a couple of quid with postage included, for instance.

* Heavy things that I can pick up myself - a vintage bike for less than a tenner.

Well that's me!

kay
  • Kay Peel
    And another thing.

I was recently browsing through the Women's Underwear Section and noticed that one of the popular searches was for 'USED'. I suspect that a euphemism for 'unwashed and with an accompanying letter of the naughty variety'.

Yep. There's a market for everything, it seems.

Kay
  • Dick here
    Would a (current) Girls' Brigade jumper sell do you reckon, or is that too specific ?
    • Cleosmum
    • By Cleosmum 26th Feb 08, 6:10 PM
    • 2,661 Posts
    • 9,288 Thanks
    Cleosmum
    I used to post on a forum where a fellow member made a fair whack selling used vibrators. Bizarro but they were snapped up before cheaper BNIP ones.
    Jan 2016 Grocery Challenge: £184.58/£400 (16/01)
  • zpodent
    People make less money by giving away their selling secrets and suppliers. It's a rather impertinent question to ask as people have worked long and hard to make their selling profitable, so do not expect any magic answers to be revealed.

Consider asking for general selling advice or help, rather than asking to be handed it all on a plate. You are much more likely to receive a favourable and constructive response.

A constructive response may be along the lines of "Why don't you make notes at the carboot sales or charity shops to remind you of what type of items are for sale, and how much, then check the current prices on eBay to see if there is enough margin in it to make it worthwhile for you."
    Originally posted by stevew8975
    Wow, what a moronic, patronising response, you really need to get out more. I don't think the original poster was looking for the secret to making millions but merely what is worth trying to sell. Stay away if you've nothing constructive to say, forums are full of people like you trying to spoil it for everyone else.

If you have any second hand camera equipment it tends to hold its value and sells really well on eBay. Hope that's not too big a secret otherwise steveperson will implode.
    Last edited by zpodent; 18-02-2009 at 10:42 PM.
  • TurkishDelight
    Wow, what a moronic, patronising response, you really need to get out more. I don't think the original poster was looking for the secret to making millions but merely what is worth trying to sell. Stay away if you've nothing constructive to say, forums are full of people like you trying to spoil it for everyone else.

If you have any second hand camera equipment it tends to hold its value and sells really well on eBay. Hope that's not too big a secret otherwise steveidiot will implode.
    Originally posted by zpodent
    :rolleyes: Simple terms are needed with this one.

Generally if things are worth selling then the posters are already selling them- why would they want more competition.
    For some of us this is how we make our living.
    This is my opinion. There are many others like it but this is mine
    Fiancee of the "lovely" DaveAshton
    I am a professional ebay seller. I work hard at my job, I love my job, if you think it's silly that's your problem not mine.
  • ArmitageShanks

If you have any second hand camera equipment it tends to hold its value and sells really well on eBay. Hope that's not too big a secret otherwise steveidiot will implode.
    Originally posted by zpodent
    So bizarre how old threads get dug up for no reason....

I don't think the original poster was looking for the secret to making millions but merely what is worth trying to sell.
    Not many people sell on ebay to make millions, many sell on ebay to make a living.
    Stay away if you've nothing constructive to say,
    Steve's one the most constructive posters on here.
    spoil it for everyone else
    You're the one (hoping) to spoil it for everyone else by expecting trade secretes to be doffed out like confetti.

You registered just to post that. Mongoose.
  • zpodent
    So bizarre how old threads get dug up for no reason....

Not many people sell on ebay to make millions, many sell on ebay to make a living.
    Steve's one the most constructive posters on here.
    You're the one (hoping) to spoil it for everyone else by expecting trade secretes to be doffed out like confetti.

You registered just to post that. Mongoose.
    Originally posted by ArmitageShanks
    Just because it's old, it doesn't mean it's not relevant. You're really missing the point, I'm not looking for trade secrets but it's sometimes useful to know what's worth trying to sell on eBay and what's not. You see so many items not selling. There are far more people using eBay to sell the odd thing when they have a clear out than people trying to make a living.

And yes I did register just for that, it really annoys me on these types of forums where you get serial posters that think they own the place. This steve person may very well be constructive normally but this is hardly a good example.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

747Posts Today

5,809Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @GemmaRobyn: @MartinSLewis my parents earned +£50k but it didn't mean they could afford to help. I worked 2 jobs at uni to get by. Why b?

• RT @JackieMutlow: @MartinSLewis @GMB Daughters loans not enough we pay 2 months rent a year (2x £410) AND £250 a month for food, train etc?

• Morning. On way to @gmb for 7:40 slot, this week warning to parents about student finance, get paid to cut debt costs, free cafe nero & more

• Follow Martin