Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Shopping & Freebies > Ebay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales > what are the best things to sell on ebay? (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
what are the best things to sell on ebay?
Closed Thread
Views: 231,167
# 1
rosieandjim
Old 16-02-2008, 4:38 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default what are the best things to sell on ebay?

Hi guys, I do ebay sometimes, and just wondering what sort of things to sell to make a good profit, I go to alot of carboots and jumble sales,I would appreciate any advice and tips as I desperately need to make some cash thanks
# 2
Kerilinann
Old 16-02-2008, 6:08 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

What do you have?

# 3
Kerilinann
Old 16-02-2008, 6:18 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloFlo View Post
Well worn shoes go well.
Do not know if that was sarcasm or not, but on occasions I have actually got more money for a well worn pair of Vans (e.g) than a non worn pair of shoes

# 4
FloFlo
Old 16-02-2008, 6:23 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Why don't you make notes at the carboot sales or charity shops to remind you of what type of items are for sale, and how much, then check the current prices on eBay to see if there is enough margin in it to make it worthwhile for you.

Last edited by FloFlo; 16-02-2008 at 6:42 PM.
# 5
StaffsSW
Old 16-02-2008, 6:35 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosieandjim View Post
Hi guys, I do ebay sometimes, and just wondering what sort of things to sell to make a good profit, I go to alot of carboots and jumble sales,I would appreciate any advice and tips as I desperately need to make some cash thanks
People make less money by giving away their selling secrets and suppliers. It's a rather impertinent question to ask as people have worked long and hard to make their selling profitable, so do not expect any magic answers to be revealed.

Consider asking for general selling advice or help, rather than asking to be handed it all on a plate. You are much more likely to receive a favourable and constructive response.

A constructive response may be along the lines of "Why don't you make notes at the carboot sales or charity shops to remind you of what type of items are for sale, and how much, then check the current prices on eBay to see if there is enough margin in it to make it worthwhile for you."
<--- Nothing to see here - move along --->
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to StaffsSW For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
PBA
Old 16-02-2008, 8:14 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

You need to sell something that you know about. A friend of mine makes a fair bit of cash buying old consoles at boot sales and selling them on ebay, but this relies on the fact that he knows exactly what something's worth and therefore whether it's worth buying or not. You can make money on any type of item with ebay, as long as you know you're buying it cheap enough to be able to make money.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PBA For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
Anastasia
Old 17-02-2008, 10:57 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

You have to build your experience and you will probably make some mistakes. I buy books mostly - self-help books sell well. I always check the 'completed listings' and if something hasn't sold before then I don't bother listing it. Some things I have sold are Slimming World books, children's dance items, any good labelled clothes such as Per Una, Next etc.

I would do some searches on items you can think of to see what they sell for. Good luck.
# 8
charlottevwa
Old 17-02-2008, 10:58 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerilinann View Post
Do not know if that was sarcasm or not, but on occasions I have actually got more money for a well worn pair of Vans (e.g) than a non worn pair of shoes
FloFlos comment was not sarcastic. Well worn whoes sell for more than the actual price of the new shoe most often.... You get some wierd shoe collecters.. they prefer it if your shoes are extra smelly too
I
The Following User Says Thank You to charlottevwa For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
FloFlo
Old 17-02-2008, 11:04 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlottevwa View Post
FloFlos comment was not sarcastic. Well worn whoes sell for more than the actual price of the new shoe most often.... You get some wierd shoe collecters.. they prefer it if your shoes are extra smelly too
They also seem to like it if you say you are an air hostess - men! They'll believe anything

I've never actually had the guts to sell any - too weird. I did get asked to wear some brand new thongs I was selling and send them unlaundered .
# 10
Contains Mild Peril
Old 18-02-2008, 1:45 AM

the well-worn shoes thread
I find vintage leather bags can sometimes be found cheaply at jumble/ car boot sales and sold for a good profit on ebay.
# 11
rosekitten
Old 18-02-2008, 3:23 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I once managed to get a selection of different
styles of wedding shoes,the type that are
made in satin material,a few of them were
in leather all were either white or cream
.I paid £3/£4 a pair in various sizes from
a shop that was closing down.
sold the lot on ebay for
really good prices.Lots of interest from
bidders in France,Germany etc.It seems
these shoes are really expensive overseas.
Even got a few pairs from Charity shops
secondhand and they sold for around £11/£15
a pair.I thought I would never sell the size 3 and 4
in these and the ones that were size 8,but they
all went
The Following User Says Thank You to rosekitten For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
roddydogs
Old 18-02-2008, 7:57 AM

The best thing to sell on e-bay must be "Fakes" as e-bay is full of them
# 13
Kay Peel
Old 25-02-2008, 6:32 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I no longer buy the things I can get on the High Street or in Retail Parks.

I look for:

* Sellers who are closely connected with their products - they make them or restore them. The Keywords, for me, are 'Unique; handcrafted; handknitted; handspun; handmade; hand-dyed, one-off; bespoke. There are some astonishing craftsmen and women selling on Ebay: like the small family firm making their own mineral makeup, or the young student making her own gorgeous leather handbags, to the crofters and farmers wives making knitwear in pure wool and their own jewellery.

* Stuff that's not available in the UK shops and can only be found in the USA or Canada - like particular brands of swimwear, golf clubs, make-up, water-based nail varnish and so on. I don't want to pay the import taxes, VAT or other duties, so any seller who gets hold of these rare beauties will get my custom.

* Really cheap things that it is not worth travelling to the town for (I'd only have to pay for car-parks, fuel etc) - a 2008 diary selling for a couple of quid with postage included, for instance.

* Heavy things that I can pick up myself - a vintage bike for less than a tenner.

Well that's me!

kay
The Following User Says Thank You to Kay Peel For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
Kay Peel
Old 26-02-2008, 2:54 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

And another thing.

I was recently browsing through the Women's Underwear Section and noticed that one of the popular searches was for 'USED'. I suspect that a euphemism for 'unwashed and with an accompanying letter of the naughty variety'.

Yep. There's a market for everything, it seems.

Kay
# 15
Dick here
Old 26-02-2008, 3:06 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Would a (current) Girls' Brigade jumper sell do you reckon, or is that too specific ?
# 16
Cleosmum
Old 26-02-2008, 6:10 PM

I used to post on a forum where a fellow member made a fair whack selling used vibrators. Bizarro but they were snapped up before cheaper BNIP ones.
June Grocery Challenge: 285.26/500
July Grocery Challenge: 0/400
# 17
zpodent
Old 18-02-2009, 9:37 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew8975 View Post
People make less money by giving away their selling secrets and suppliers. It's a rather impertinent question to ask as people have worked long and hard to make their selling profitable, so do not expect any magic answers to be revealed.

Consider asking for general selling advice or help, rather than asking to be handed it all on a plate. You are much more likely to receive a favourable and constructive response.

A constructive response may be along the lines of "Why don't you make notes at the carboot sales or charity shops to remind you of what type of items are for sale, and how much, then check the current prices on eBay to see if there is enough margin in it to make it worthwhile for you."
Wow, what a moronic, patronising response, you really need to get out more. I don't think the original poster was looking for the secret to making millions but merely what is worth trying to sell. Stay away if you've nothing constructive to say, forums are full of people like you trying to spoil it for everyone else.

If you have any second hand camera equipment it tends to hold its value and sells really well on eBay. Hope that's not too big a secret otherwise steveperson will implode.

Last edited by zpodent; 18-02-2009 at 10:42 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to zpodent For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
TurkishDelight
Old 18-02-2009, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zpodent View Post
Wow, what a moronic, patronising response, you really need to get out more. I don't think the original poster was looking for the secret to making millions but merely what is worth trying to sell. Stay away if you've nothing constructive to say, forums are full of people like you trying to spoil it for everyone else.

If you have any second hand camera equipment it tends to hold its value and sells really well on eBay. Hope that's not too big a secret otherwise steveidiot will implode.
:rolleyes: Simple terms are needed with this one.

Generally if things are worth selling then the posters are already selling them- why would they want more competition.
For some of us this is how we make our living.
This is my opinion. There are many others like it but this is mine
Fiancee of the "lovely" DaveAshton
I am a professional ebay seller. I work hard at my job, I love my job, if you think it's silly that's your problem not mine.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TurkishDelight For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
ArmitageShanks
Old 18-02-2009, 10:16 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by zpodent View Post

If you have any second hand camera equipment it tends to hold its value and sells really well on eBay. Hope that's not too big a secret otherwise steveidiot will implode.
So bizarre how old threads get dug up for no reason....

Quote:
I don't think the original poster was looking for the secret to making millions but merely what is worth trying to sell.
Not many people sell on ebay to make millions, many sell on ebay to make a living.
Quote:
Stay away if you've nothing constructive to say,
Steve's one the most constructive posters on here.
Quote:
spoil it for everyone else
You're the one (hoping) to spoil it for everyone else by expecting trade secretes to be doffed out like confetti.

You registered just to post that. Mongoose.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ArmitageShanks For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
zpodent
Old 18-02-2009, 10:36 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmitageShanks View Post
So bizarre how old threads get dug up for no reason....

Not many people sell on ebay to make millions, many sell on ebay to make a living.
Steve's one the most constructive posters on here.
You're the one (hoping) to spoil it for everyone else by expecting trade secretes to be doffed out like confetti.

You registered just to post that. Mongoose.
Just because it's old, it doesn't mean it's not relevant. You're really missing the point, I'm not looking for trade secrets but it's sometimes useful to know what's worth trying to sell on eBay and what's not. You see so many items not selling. There are far more people using eBay to sell the odd thing when they have a clear out than people trying to make a living.

And yes I did register just for that, it really annoys me on these types of forums where you get serial posters that think they own the place. This steve person may very well be constructive normally but this is hardly a good example.
The Following User Says Thank You to zpodent For This Useful Post: Show me >>
Closed Thread