PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Posh lunch ideas for friends please.

Options
I've got some friends coming over for lunch on Saturday. The last time I visited them, she did a fancy mozzarella and pesto type salad which she seemed to knock up in about 2 mins. :rolleyes:

So, has anyone got any ideas for something quick but sophisticated? Don't think a cheese sarnie is going to cut it!

Comments

• ladymarmalade
    Options
    how about pancetta mushrooms and rocket on some warm baguette style bread
    :cool:"More people would learn from their mistakes if they weren't so busy denying them." - Harold J. Smith:cool:
  • Zazen999
    Zazen999 Posts: 6,183 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'd give them the cheese sarnie; home made bread, good cheddar cheese and some pickle - you can't beat it. Nice cup of tea and a cake for afters.

Perhaps some crisps on the side!!!

job done.
  • purpleivy
    purpleivy Posts: 3,573 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    A nice hm soup, with accompanying sandwich or salad? If the weather is cold, soup is so nice.
    [SIZE=-1]"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"[/SIZE]
    Trying not to waste food!:j
    ETA Philosophy is wondering whether a Bloody Mary counts as a Smoothie
  • Penny-Pincher!!
    Options
    Ploughmans
    Cheese & Biscuits
    Open Sarnies with fresh bread
    HM Soup & Rolls
    Stuffed Toms with Feta and olives
    Pesto spagetti with parmasan or meatballs
    Chicken wrapped in bacon with new pots and salad
    Tuna steak with salad

PP
    xx
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!
    FEB GC/DIESEL £200/4 WEEKS
  • Pennylane
    Pennylane Posts: 2,707 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    No idea how good a cook you are Jet but sometimes the simplest things are the most successful.

What about some big tiger prawns fried quickly in a bit of butter and a hint of garlic? They will take just a minute or two and you can serve them on a lovely green salad with some cherry or vine tomatoes. Squeeze over some lemon or lime juice. Get some lovely special bread and REAL butter to go with it. I have seen some good offers on prawns in some of the big supermarkets right now.

If you don't fancy prawns, what about some lovely homemade soup - cheap and very tasty. Maybe carrot & tomato or curried parsnip and, again some delicious special bread. Most people I know are always thrilled to get homemade soup and say how much nicer it is than tinned!;)
  • Ginger_Girl
    Options
    Cous cous with walnuts and feta cheese scrumbled (is that a word?) over it is nice (specially if it's sainsburys really easy packet cous cous).
  • yasmin05
    Options
    Carrot and Coriander Soup with Cheese and Biscuits. 6 large carrots, 3 handfuls coriander, vegtable stock cube 1 inch ginger grated,, parsnip, 1 medium potato, onion and garlic. Cut up all veg and sweat in butter for 10 minutes add water and stock and cook for 30 minutes. Add coriander salt and pepper and ginger and blend. Simmer for 10 minutes. Serve with crusty bread and for afters cheese and pate. The ginger is my secret ingredient and gives it a real edge. I cook this for lunch often and it has never failed to impress.
  • bobsa1
    bobsa1 Posts: 1,947 Forumite
    Options
    cooked a sausage Jumbalaya (sp) for lunch today. Waitrose had it on a card but I adapted it. Browned an onion & some good sausages, added easy cook rice, tin toms & 450ml of stock, cooked for 20mins, added chopped red pepper, chopped green pepper & paprika - cooked for a further 10mins, served with green salad- 4 kids and two adults all ate it and liked it!
  • noonesperfect
    Options
    Yasmin, how much water please? And does it freeze? That soup sounds souper!
    :wave:
  • Cruiksl
    Cruiksl Posts: 351 Forumite
    Options
    What about buffallo morzorello, tomato and basil salad.

Cut up the morzorello, slice the tomatoes and put some chopped or torn basil onto a plate then drizzle with olive oil and balsamic vinegar.

Very easy and very tasty.
    So little money - so much time :mad:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family