Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Motoring > Cam belt change cost (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Cam belt change cost
Closed Thread
Views: 78,325
# 1
dfub
Old 08-02-2008, 11:38 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Cam belt change cost

Hi all,

Does anyone know what it costs to change the cambelt on a '53 Seat ibiza (TDI). It would be having the 60,000 mile service.

Thanks for any info,
D
# 2
tigtag02
Old 08-02-2008, 11:39 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Cost us approx 200 for a W reg Bora if thats any help :confused:
baby no3 due 16th November
TEAM YELLOW
DFD 16/6/10
"Shut your gob! Or I'll come round your houses and stamp on all your toys" The ONE, the ONLY, the LEGENDARY Gene Hunt
# 3
jeannieblue
Old 08-02-2008, 11:46 PM

Not being at work, can't check up for you, sorry. Its not a make we get in often. They do vary so much. VW parts are very reasonably priced on the whole, not sure of SEAT - plus it needs a biggish service too.

Recommend ring a dealer to get the worst case scenario - and ask them for the price of the cam belt tensioner/s to be included too. Then phone a couple of good independent garages. Should give you a good guide then.
Genie
Master Technician
# 4
hewhoisnotintheknow
Old 09-02-2008, 1:53 PM

budget for 400 and get the water pump changed whilst your at it, if its less its a bonus!
# 5
jeannieblue
Old 09-02-2008, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hewhoisnotintheknow View Post
budget for 400 and get the water pump changed whilst your at it, if its less its a bonus!
Wouldn't have thought it would need water pump done this time - second cam belt change maybe.
Genie
Master Technician
# 6
vaio
Old 09-02-2008, 4:07 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeannieblue View Post
Wouldn't have thought it would need water pump done this time - second cam belt change maybe.
Id change anything with a bearing, water pump and any rollers/tensioner. Maybe think about oil seals too
# 7
jeannieblue
Old 09-02-2008, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaio View Post
Id change anything with a bearing, water pump and any rollers/tensioner. Maybe think about oil seals too
Its good to be cautious I know, but really don't know if that would be unnecessary expense.

Surely a good mechanic can assess the water pump when he's in there? I don't know much about SEAT's and maybe you could be right to do all that.

Ill sit on the shelf with this one.
Genie
Master Technician
# 8
dfub
Old 09-02-2008, 6:10 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Thanks for the info, i will find £400 to put aside. Just one question though, when people mention 'water pump' is that just a term for the coolant pump? I only ask because it is a special liquid that we use in our radiator, not water. Thanks again for all the help.
# 9
goldspanners
Old 09-02-2008, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfub View Post
Thanks for the info, i will find 400 to put aside. Just one question though, when people mention 'water pump' is that just a term for the coolant pump? I only ask because it is a special liquid that we use in our radiator, not water. Thanks again for all the help.

yes that is what they mean.
...work permit granted!
# 10
vaio
Old 09-02-2008, 8:48 PM

Quote:
Its good to be cautious I know, but really don't know if that would be unnecessary expense.

Surely a good mechanic can assess the water pump when he's in there? I don't know much about SEAT's and maybe you could be right to do all that.

Ill sit on the shelf with this one.
Im sure a mechanic could tell you the pump is good now, could he say it will last another 60k miles? Not sure.

I dont know about Seats but on my car the labour to get to the cambelt is 800, once you are there it would be madness not to change a 30 water-pump and some 5 oil seals. Id guess the same logic applies to most cars
# 11
moonrakerz
Old 09-02-2008, 9:21 PM

Quote:
I dont know about Seats but on my car the labour to get to the cambelt is 800
Gulp !!

Focus 1.6 petrol.

105 Labour, 52 belt and bits. 4 weeks ago !
# 12
vaio
Old 09-02-2008, 9:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonrakerz View Post
Gulp !!

Focus 1.6 petrol.

£105 Labour, £52 belt and bits. 4 weeks ago !
Audi S4

£800 labour £200 belt and bits

on the bright side it does have four wheel drive, sticks to the road like glue, does sub 6 sec 0-60 and 150mph when pushed
# 13
jackieb
Old 09-02-2008, 9:38 PM

Last year we were going to be 500 parts and labour from an Audi garage (we have an A4). We went to a VW garage instead and they charged 250.
# 14
jeannieblue
Old 09-02-2008, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Audi S4

800 labour 200 belt and bits

on the bright side it does have four wheel drive, sticks to the road like glue, does sub 6 sec 0-60 and 150mph when pushed
Ah well, an Audi - engine right at the front, need to swing the bumper right over and take off front of the car to get to the engine/cam belt - see your point. Don't see point of paying 800 in labour tho - say it would be about a 6 hour job - blimey their labour rates are a tad high! Try a good independent garage next time!
Genie
Master Technician
# 15
jeannieblue
Old 09-02-2008, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackieb View Post
Last year we were going to be 500 parts and labour from an Audi garage (we have an A4). We went to a VW garage instead and they charged 250.

Good grief! Thats exceptionally good. Sure they did it?!!
Hope they did the tensioners as well - although the parts themselves are not horrendously dear. Must've done it real quick............
Genie
Master Technician
# 16
vaio
Old 10-02-2008, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Ah well, an Audi - engine right at the front, need to swing the bumper right over and take off front of the car to get to the engine/cam belt - see your point. Don't see point of paying 800 in labour tho - say it would be about a 6 hour job - blimey their labour rates are a tad high! Try a good independent garage next time!
Yep, bumper, front panel, air con, rad & fans, oil coolers etc all have to come off just to get to the engine. It is quite a big job.

I spend Christmas in Germany so actually got it done at a dealer over there. UK dealer wanted 1k to do the belt & water pump etc, the German dealer did it plus a service for 1000 euros. Its now at the stage where a full dealer history isnt worth the extra cost so itll be DIY or independent from now on.
# 17
Stephen Leak
Old 10-02-2008, 1:07 AM

I pulled a really good MSE flanker with my cam belt change last year. I bought the kit of parts (belt, pulley, tensioner, springs) on eBay for about half of what the garage charged me for one 5 years ago and about one third of what the Ford one would cost now. You then just get the garage to fit it. I did do it at the same time as a service, though.

If your pulleys and tensioners are plastic (most are) get them changed as well. They don't wear the belt out like the old metal ones used to do, but they get affected by the heat from the engine. They now tend to disintegrate more than the belts snap. However, the consequences are the same.

Last edited by Stephen Leak; 10-02-2008 at 1:11 AM.
# 18
vaio
Old 10-02-2008, 2:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Leak View Post
I pulled a really good MSE flanker with my cam belt change last year. I bought the kit of parts (belt, pulley, tensioner, springs) on eBay for about half of what the garage charged me for one 5 years ago and about one third of what the Ford one would cost now. You then just get the garage to fit it. I did do it at the same time as a service, though..
The downside of this is that if it fails a month or two or six after you have it done you are going to get all sorts of arguments about was it a defective part or did a mechanic forget to tighten something.
# 19
jackieb
Old 10-02-2008, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Good grief! Thats exceptionally good. Sure they did it?!!
Hope they did the tensioners as well - although the parts themselves are not horrendously dear. Must've done it real quick............
The tensioners were done as well. I still have the bill.
# 20
moonrakerz
Old 10-02-2008, 2:36 PM

Quote:
Audi S4

800 labour 200 belt and bits

Focus 1.6

Has 4 wheels, hasn't left the road yet, haven't got a calendar to time it, and does the legal limit without being pushed ! AND does 40 to the gal !
The Following User Says Thank You to moonrakerz For This Useful Post: Show me >>
Closed Thread